No announcement yet.

Rude Americans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Hong-Kongians I know seem to be rather well-mannered.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

If you can't wait more than a minute for a sales assistant to finish what might be important business, then you might want to re-prioritise a little...

I hate people fawning over me in shops or restaurants anyway - I prefer my service to be there when I need it, invisible otherwise. And it annoys me that people consider Brits and other northern Europeans unfriendly just because we're not plastic grinning idiots.
      yada

Comment

I agree with KrazyHorse. I also know some nice people from Hong Kong. They even support PC games over console games.
        "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
        "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
        "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

These nice people you know in Hong Kong? Try and get on a Hong Kong before them at peak hour
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
            The Hong-Kongians I know seem to be rather well-mannered.
            Well yeah, but we are the exceptions you see

People just shove and push and barge into lines and be generally inconsiderate here. Howver it seems to be understandable because the population density is so high.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I hate to sound like David Duke here, but is everybody from Hong-Kong less than 150 cm? The 4 I know are just about the 4 shortest people I'm acquainted with. Mainland Chinese seem to be much taller on average.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

What?

Not even my SO is that short, she's at 160cm, which is the average for women here. Men average around 170cm IIRC.

There are so many people here that, whenever I go outside I ususally end up in a bad mood, even when I am in a good mood to start with. There are people constantly in your face, and idiots everywhere.

This past Chinese New Year there are 500,000 people gathered to watch the fireworks. 500,000 is the entire population of Finland (hi Stefu )!
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                  I hate to sound like David Duke here, but is everybody from Hong-Kong less than 150 cm? The 4 I know are just about the 4 shortest people I'm acquainted with. Mainland Chinese seem to be much taller on average.
                  Younger people are getting taller, but generally I can see above the crowd and I'm 5'9"

The big height problems are:
                  1) In a lot of apartments, the bedrooms are only 6'x6' which means I can't fit in my bed;
                  2) the top deck of a double decker has low ceilings. My head touches the roof.

And yes, the crowded nature of HK is probably the main reason why people are rude
                  Golfing since 67

Comment

Should I have the title to this thread changed to ARE PEOPLE IN HONG KONG SHORT?

Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                      There are so many people here that, whenever I go outside I ususally end up in a bad mood, even when I am in a good mood to start with. There are people constantly in your face, and idiots everywhere.
                      Yeah, Causeway Bay on a Saturday will drive you up the wall.

I saw a comedian on Letterman who said Hong Kong is a place where it seems like every minute a rock concert has just ended.

But actually, there are a lot of places where's its not crowded. I used to live on an outlying island called Lamma that had about 7,000 people in the main village. Quite a nice rural place.
                      Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
                        Should I have the title to this thread changed to ARE PEOPLE IN HONG KONG SHORT?

Getting back to the thread subject, I've always found that Americans tend to be polite (arrogant, but still polite).

The States is about the only place where people regulary say ma'am or sir (as in the cop saying: "Sir, put your pants back on.")
                        Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

People just shove and push and barge into lines and be generally inconsiderate here. Howver it seems to be understandable because the population density is so high.
                          I didn't know you were a Hong Kong resident! I love Hongkers!

Can I come and stay? Know any good whorehouses?
                          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
                            But actually, there are a lot of places where's its not crowded. I used to live on an outlying island called Lamma that had about 7,000 people in the main village. Quite a nice rural place.
                            7000 people? That's more than a town in most countries.

There are some nice areas in the SAR, but they are either expensive or far away. I know a lot of expats who live on one of the outlying islands, but going to work takes quite a bit of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                              I didn't know you were a Hong Kong resident! I love Hongkers!

Can I come and stay? Know any good whorehouses?
                              Oh no! It's the dreaded Horse attack!

Good thing there are lots of people here. *hides in a crowd*

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
                                If you want rude, go to France...
                                If you want rude, go to Suomithread and try to speak finnish.

Comment

Working...
                                X