No announcement yet.

Most dominating Battleship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps a modern ship designed to replace the bombardment capability of the battleship could mount a truly huge gun rather than a large number of big guns. I'm not sure how feasible it would be, but it seems like you could fit one of those supercannons (like Sadaam's Canadian designer came up with) fixed forward on a large hull. The gun would be able to adjust laterally a bit, but the idea would be to use the recoil to push down against the sea and either forward or backward along the ship's course. These sorts of ships could strike a long way off, staying in blue water and reaching far inland.
    He's got the Midas touch.
    But he touched it too much!
    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Darkshade

And I wouldn't like their chances up against a US carrier battlegroup with a couple of the later Nimitz class carriers, an Iowa, several Ticonderega class guided missile cruisers, several Arleigh Burke class guided missile destroyers, several Oliver Hazard Perry class frigates, and a couple of Seawolf and Los Angeles Class fast attack submarines.
      Why do you think any ship could stand alone against the fleet such as you described? Why do you think that this ship should attack entire group alone?

Btw, Khrushev was right.

Comment

Originally posted by steelehc
        In fact, the Petr Velikiy is not even finished, it is still in Severomorsk awaiting completion.

Steele
        You have very old sources.
        It was constructed in 1995 and in full service in Russian fleet since 1996, even more it is the flagman ship of Northern fleet. Today we have 4 battle cruisers of 'Kirov' class.
        And in fight of 1 ship against 1 ship Iowa has no chances against him at all, IMHO.

Comment

DP
          If this were a movie, there'd be a tunnel or something near here for us to escape through.....

Comment

Serb: The Petr Velikiy was added to the fleet in 1995. On October 27 1996, a turbine exploded, killing five crewmen. The ship was returned to Severomorsk, partial repairs were done, and the ship went on sea trials until 1998. Then he returned to Severomorsk awaiting completion of the repairs. Unfortunatly (as he is a fine ship) the ship is still there, as there is no funding for the work that needs to be done.

Yes, an Iowa would have quite a chance against a Kirov cruiser. First of all, its much bigger, more heavily armored, and much more able to withstand damage. In fact, it would take a good number of missiles to put a battlewagon to sleep. Second, the Iowa is faster (33 knots to 30 knots). Third, the Iowa carries more missiles then the Kirov ships. The Kirov carries 20 SS-N-19 Shipwreck missiles, while the Iowas carry 32 RGM-74 Tomahawk and 16 RGM-84 Harpoon missiles. Fourth, the Iowa has guns. Big guns. 16", 2700 pound (1300 kg) shells traveling at 2,000 feet per second (600 meters per second) will put a big hole in almost anything. Fifth, the Iowa has the same high quality damage control that the US Navy is the best at.

Steele
            If this were a movie, there'd be a tunnel or something near here for us to escape through.....

Comment

EDIT: he fixed it...
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Fixed what?

Steele

Comment

60/600. Useful for those who've forgotten the archaic system one country still uses...
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It was a typo. I have lots of them, as I type too fast. I try to correct them as I'm going, but...

Steele

Comment

It was repaired long ago. The incedent you've talked about done very slight damage. It was explosion of a small part of back-up power system. And this ship as I said in full service. It was in Kursk's resque team, and later patrol the area where it happen until Kursk was up.

Comment

Third, the Iowa carries more missiles then the Kirov ships. The Kirov carries 20 SS-N-19 Shipwreck missiles, while the Iowas carry 32 RGM-74 Tomahawk and 16 RGM-84 Harpoon missiles. Fourth, the Iowa has guns. Big guns. 16", 2700 pound (1300 kg) shells traveling at 2,000 feet per second (600 meters per second) will put a big hole in almost anything. Fifth, the Iowa has the same high quality damage control that the US Navy is the best at.

Steele
                        Just say it to designers of "Petr Velikiy".
                        The guys who created this ship still think that: "Piotr Veliky" cruiser - is a unique floating nuclear-missile base with the most powerful armament in the world.
                        Official site of the manufacturer:

I am sure they will be quite interested to know your version of results of the fight between 'Kirov' and 'Iowa'.

Comment

It was repaired long ago. The incedent you've talked about done very slight damage. It was explosion of a small part of back-up power system. And this ship as I said in full service. It was in Kursk's resque team, and later patrol the area where it happen until Kursk was up.
                          I did not know that. Thanks.

Perhaps you did not know that the Admiral Ushakov (the former Kirov) and the Admiral Lazarev (former Frunze) have been returned to Severomorsk and the Lazarev is being scrapped. That leaves you with three ships, one disactivated.

RE: The manufacturer's site, that doesn't say a thing I can find about the ships armament. And in any case, the ships with the most powerful armament are missile submarines, and American aircraft carriers, both of which can deliver nuclear warheads anywhere in the world. That site looks more like an advertisement for people needing a shipyard then an analysis of ship-to-ship combat.

The Iowa would win.

Steele

Comment

Perhaps you did not know that the Admiral Ushakov (the former Kirov) and the Admiral Lazarev (former Frunze) have been returned to Severomorsk and the Lazarev is being scrapped. That leaves you with three ships, one disactivated.
                            It's under repair now, it was in service since 1984 so it's relatively old ship. But the government finally decided to repair it, instead of scrapping. Soon it will be in service again.
                            RE: The manufacturer's site, that doesn't say a thing I can find about the ships armament.
                            Unfortunatly, all links I've found about armament are on Russian.
                            And in any case, the ships with the most powerful armament are missile submarines, and American aircraft carriers, both of which can deliver nuclear warheads anywhere in the world.
                            The ICBMs could do this as well.

The Iowa would win.
                            Not a chance.

Comment

It's under repair now, it was in service since 1984 so it's relatively old ship. But the government finally decided to repair it, instead of scrapping. Soon it will be in service again.
                              Do you have a source for this? The latest information I have found (December 2001) says that is is being taken apart right now.

ICBMs are not fitted to ships. My point was that it is impossible to make a blanket statement like "most powerful armament in the world" especially when it is wrong. The Iowa ships carry more missiles (more then 2x as many) then the Kirov ships, and the 16"/50 cannon which are incredibly powerful on their own.

Steele

Comment

Working...
                              X