It took 2 World Wars to Destroy Britain and the Empire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It took 2 World Wars to Destroy Britain and the Empire

'Tis common beleif (well, every one seems to be of the opinion that) had niether world war happened britain would not have lost the empire, and may have stayed a world Super Power.

I think its the other way round, if the Wars hadn't happend, Britain would have declined MUCH sooner.

WW1:

This war effectivly destroyed Germany as a great power and destroyed its potential to create imperial mischeif (building ups its own colonial empire). before WW1, germany was britains biggest rival, and was a growing industrial (already surpassed britain by 1914) and economic, and miliary power. so had it not been for WW1, Germany would have probably surpassed britain by the 20's.
    WW1 also effectivly destroyed France, and in the interwar period never had any potential to be a power.
    Combined with US isolationism then, Britain was, in many ways, at it MOST powerfule between 1919-1936, simply because there was no rivals, and no one to stop them. Even though cash was short, it wasnt as bad as post WW2.

WW2:

well, this did see the final end of British empire, but it did destroy every nation in the worlds potential to be a great power ('cept USA) so since then Britain, through peacfule decolonization = better realations with commonwealth nations, since then britain has managed to stay a factor (even if a tiny factor) in world affairs.

So, if it hadnt been for WW1 and 2, britain would have probably fought violently to keep the colonies when they finally rebbelled (a la France), would have declyined economicly, and left other nations to surpass it, which due to war never reached their full potential.

whatcha think?
    eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Bullacks
    Cheese eating surrender monkees - Chris 62

BlackStone supporting our troops

Comment

why?

and you spell worse then me, its bollox
      eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

I think that it's probably correct. By 1939 India was all but lost to the British. Once India went the rationale for the chunks of the empire which were kept merely to protect India (eg Yemen, Kenya, Burma, etc) went as well.
        Last edited by Case; March 13, 2002, 22:58.
        'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
        - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

OK.... who cares?

Comment

Sorry .......just felt like being an @ss for a second. There was one colonial war where someone said "first we will win this war and then we will give them what they want" pretty much sums up the British way, kick the sh1t out of em then divide their country up in a way that will have them fighting each other and running home to mummy all the time.

I don`t think that the empire would have gone down faster though (answering your original question). Wars always bring social change (due to the massive presures on societies), and it was those wars that weaken the UK (still paying for them), and woke up the colonies.

And good riddence i say who wants Australia anyhow

Comment

Pah. Who wants India and Kenya anyway? We've still got Pitcairn, and that's all that matters.
              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStone
                it was those wars that weaken the UK (still paying for them)
                Hell we're still paying for the Napoleonic Wars!
                19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

Re: It took 2 World Wars to Destroy Britain and the Empire

Originally posted by The Andy-Man
                  It took 2 World Wars to Destroy Britain and the Empire
                  I hope it will only take 1 1/2 World Wars to destroy the U.S. and their Empire.
                  Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

Originally posted by Yefei
                    OK.... who cares?
                    Heh, whoever you are, you're definitly in the wrong forum.
                    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Re: Re: It took 2 World Wars to Destroy Britain and the Empire

Originally posted by Comrade Tribune

I hope it will only take 1 1/2 World Wars to destroy the U.S. and their Empire.
                      Are you offering Austrian soil for the battleground?

Comment

Re: It took 2 World Wars to Destroy Britain and the Empire

Originally posted by The Andy-Man

WW2:

well, this did see the final end of British empire, but it did destroy every nation in the worlds potential to be a great power ('cept USA) so since then Britain, through peacfule decolonization = better realations with commonwealth nations, since then britain has managed to stay a factor (even if a tiny factor) in world affairs.

whatcha think?
                        Peaceful decolonization??
                        For some perhaps, but for other British colonies, you can bet your ass that Great Britain fought conflicts with native peoples to try to keep control over some of her colonies.
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Well he was referring to the time post WW2 and I can't name any conflicts we have fought in this timeframe to retain Imperial control. Please name one?

You won't find too many examples post 19th century - post Boer war it tended to be other colonial powers that our conflicts centred around

Malaysia is perhaps the closest scenario to your suggestion post WW2 - but that falls largely into Blackstones defnition as we fought and defeated the communist insurgents then gave the country peaceful independence anyway (though it stopped this independence being Communist).

You might be confusing Britain with Belgium, Holland, Portugal and France ALL of whom most certainly fought kicking and screaming to retain some of their colonies in the post war period. I'm sure it would have been better for almost everyone if French Indochina had been given independence as soon as was practical after WW2?
                          It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

I'm sure it would have been better for almost everyone if French Indochina had been given independence as soon as was practical after WW2?

A very good point, could have saved alot of trouble......

.......thoughs damn Frenchies

Comment

The whole rise and fall of the european empires reads like a Shakespearian tradgedy. European states intense competition, verging on hatred of each other at times, was the main factor in the rise of europe.
                              The same intense competition led to us kicking the **** out of each other twice in 25 years and throwing our dominance away.

Comment

Working...
                              X