Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simpson's style....

Originally posted by MikeH

There's no way I'd sing God Save the Queen when I was at school here, I'm not singing a different country's anthem.
    At my school there were several foreigners including a Swedish and an Italian kid who didn't pledge, then they mysteriously vanished and we had Swedish meatballs and Lasagna on the school lunch menu for the next couple of days.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
        Pay up or the bunny gets it.
        wouldn't that be the kitten gets it?

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower

wouldn't that be the kitten gets it?
          Hey -- leave KrazyHorse's cute, little kitten alone.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I even know the pedge to the Texas State flag, short and dull as it is.
            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
              I even know the pedge to the Texas State flag, short and dull as it is.
              don't just tell us you know, tell us the pledge

did dubya make it up?

Comment

I think I had to even in high school. I cannot remember.

I lived and live in Nevada btw.

I think it shouldn't be forces. That is just plain wrong. Kids shouldn't be forced to be patriotic. Schools should provide accurate enough information about their country that the kids should want to be patriotic.

Comment

Or enough so they DON'T want to be patriotic.
                  Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

well they also need to teach history of other nations. maybe these kids will get it and realize they live in the best country .

most kids don't pay attention to the words anyways. I never did. I never cared what they meant. So it is blind patriotism at best. At worst it is a waste of vocal energy

Comment

Why don't schools try to teach kids to be World Citizens? (God that sounds corny. ) Nonetheless, that's how I prefer to think of myself after some few years living overseas. With (naturally and somewhat reluctantly) some, err, local feelings. Just not many.
                      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Since I went to elementary school and junior high in the States, I said the pledge every morning of the school year for 8 years. Never once did it occur to me that, since I'm not American, I shouldn't be pledging to a country that's not my own.

I don't dare think of what may have happened if I had refused to say the pledge....
                        Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                        -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower
                          don't just tell us you know, tell us the pledge
                          did dubya make it up?
                          Nope been around a long time, probable from shortly after the nation pedge was penned.

"Honor the Texas flag,
                          I pledge aellegiance to thee, Texas,
                          one and indivisable"

Whoever wrote it was ignorant of Texas history. The last word is entirely inaccurate. Texas has the right under it anexation agreement to divide itself into up to 5 states.
                          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola

Whoever wrote it was ignorant of Texas history. The last word is entirely inaccurate. Texas has the right under it anexation agreement to divide itself into up to 5 states.
                            Specific or undefined. That is can you choose to kick out the county that Dubya is from to hide the shame of it all?
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                            X