Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nixon wanted to drop a nuclear bomb on N. Vietnam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nixon wanted to drop a nuclear bomb on N. Vietnam?

that wouldn't have been good. Apparently that is what he discussed with Kissinger.
    Yes: the U.S. may have won the war this way
    14.00%
    No: we wouldn't have won the war and would have opened the bag for more use of these weapons
    74.00%
    dropping bananas would have won the war
    12.00%

Dissident, et al.:

Good God. And just when I was beginning to have a few "warm, nostalgic" thoughts about the man. It's a good thing Henry Kissinger dissuaded Nixon from using nuclear weapons, but it isn't going to do much for the permafrost I'm starting to grow again in regards to Nixon.

CYBERAmazon
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

It seems that the possibilities of the US using themonuclear devices were discussed internally whenever the US is involved in a conflict.

Were there some talks about the US using a nuclear weapon in Afghanistan?
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

...and Iraq, and Korea, and the early days of the Cold War before the USSR had means of retaliation, and Afghanistan...

Good job those fingers weren't any closer to the red button or had nuclear weapons earlier...we could all be glowing toast by now
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

WTF? Are you serioous?

I though that was Truman in Korea, but Nixon too...

There would have been no world left.

EDIT: I just saw this on the front page of the paper.
          Last edited by Goingonit; March 1, 2002, 08:52.
          I refute it thus!
          "Destiny! Destiny! No escaping that for me!"

Comment

It was Macarthur in Korea wasn't it?
            I thought Truman said "no"...

Anyway, that's what the rest of the Presidents advisers are there for...to tell him not to be an idiot. Works the same over here for PMs...Churchill was told not to be an idiot over his idea to gas German cities.

Though of course any mention of Henry Kissinger causes this to go through my head:

Henry Kissinger
            How I'm missing yer
            You're the Doctor of my dreams
            with your crinkly hair
            and your glassy stare
            and your Machiavellian schemes
            I know they say that you are very vain
            and short and fat and pushy
            but at least you're not insane
            Henry Kissinger
            How I'm missing yer
            and wishing you were here

Henry Kissinger
            how I'm missing yer
            you're so chubby and so neat
            with your funny clothes
            and your squishy nose
            you're like a German par-a-keet
            alright so people say that you don't care
            but you've got nicer legs than Hitler
            and bigger tits than Cher
            Henry Kissinger
            How I'm missing yer
            and wishing you were here

Comment

The US would of won the war in Vietnam for sure, but would of sparked a nuclear war with the Soviet Union.
              For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Yeah, I got the impression that it was Macarthur who was generally keen on using nuclear weapons but was declined by Truman; in the early days of the cold war and Korea, but it is well known that this man is a complete and utter warmonger.
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Yup. Truman sent MacArthur packing over that and related issues. MacArthur was like a sovereign state unto himself, until Truman reined him in a bit.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I heard the actual exchange on television last night. It went something like this:

Nixon: I'd rather drop the bomb on them. How would you feel about dropping the bomb on North Vietnam?

Kissinger: Mr. President, I feel that would be a vast overreaction.

Nixon: I'm just trying to get you to think big Henry.

Nixon was not seriously contemplating using nuclear weapons, but he was trying to give Kissinger some ammunition to use while persuing the peace talks with North Vietnamese, which dragged on for a very long time. Eventually Nixon started a massive bombing campaign in the North and invaded Cambodia and got the North Vietnamese to agree to a peace treaty, which they violated very quickly. In 1972 they tried a massive attack and Nixon crushed it with massive air strikes.
                    He's got the Midas touch.
                    But he touched it too much!
                    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Kennedy was considering sending in the marines to support the Bay of Pigs operation. Castro had a nuke ready in case the US invaded. He would have nuked the invasion area, possibly starting WW3.
                      Long time member @ Apolyton
                      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                        ...and Iraq, and Korea, and the early days of the Cold War before the USSR had means of retaliation, and Afghanistan...

Good job those fingers weren't any closer to the red button or had nuclear weapons earlier...we could all be glowing toast by now
                        MSNBC breaking news and the latest news for today. Get daily news from local news reporters and world news updates with live audio & video from our team.

Feb. 28 — Preliminary research shows that 15,000 cancer deaths in the United States might have been caused by radioactive fallout from Cold War nuclear weapons testing, according to a progress report on a long-delayed government study. Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, released part of the report Thursday as activists accused the government of deliberately stalling and demanded congressional hearings into the matter.

Maybe this reality is what stopped them...
                        “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
                        Or do we?

Comment

Kennedy was considering sending in the marines to support the Bay of Pigs operation. Castro had a nuke ready in case the US invaded. He would have nuked the invasion area, possibly starting WW3
                          I've never heard that before. The missile crisis was a year after the bay of pigs. Where did castro get a nuke?
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander
                            I heard the actual exchange on television last night. It went something like this:

Nixon: I'd rather drop the bomb on them. How would you feel about dropping the bomb on North Vietnam?

Kissinger: Mr. President, I feel that would be a vast overreaction.

Nixon: I'm just trying to get you to think big Henry.[/b]
                            Yeah that isn't being serious... Truman on the other hand did a lot of thinking when dropping the Bomb on Japan.... "big Henry"? :LOL:

Eventually Nixon started a massive bombing campaign in the North and invaded Cambodia and got the North Vietnamese to agree to a peace treaty, which they violated very quickly. In 1972 they tried a massive attack and Nixon crushed it with massive air strikes.
                            That is true. The North Vietnamese were so fast violating it... and did not follow what Nixon said in an address: "We will let the South Vietnamese decide for themselves". Saigon fell in 1975.

I got a lot of respect for Nixon, and I think he truely was sorry for mistakes he made. I can see why he past away from a stroke in 1994.
                            For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

~~~
                              Last edited by our_man; January 18, 2015, 15:01.
                              STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X