The Apolyton Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Apolyton Island

One day in the near future, all Apolytoners (well, the most active ones) are transported to a rather large undiscovered island with abundant natural resources. There is no chance of being 'rescued', there is no chance of returning home, and there is no chance of any other human contact (no phones, radios, television, etc.) It's just Apolyton and the Island.

What do you think would happen?

(Keep in mind, we're talking about people with radical ideological differences...from Provost Harrison to DinoDoc to Chegitz Guevara to Imran Siddiqui, etc.)

What systems would appear? Would we be democratic? Would we elect someone our leader? Would we break off into factions and fight each other for control? Would we be an ideal communist paradise?
    "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Dan would apologize to us all, and then MarkG would kick everyone but the Greeks off...
    I never know their names, But i smile just the same
    New faces...Strange places,
    Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
    -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Everybody would go insane quickly
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The trolls wont live for more than a week.
        "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Oh, I don't know about that Ming. Although our jail system for dissidents might be called "Mingapulco"
          "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
          You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Finns take control, thanks to our amazing leadership abilities.
            "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
            "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

We'd have a real life game of Civilization!

We'd have the slow production and all the other points of a civilization game. Even several distinct nationalities who go to war.

Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
              Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

I'd sooner kill myself before I was stranded on an island with only fellow Apolytoners for company.

No offence.
                "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

mm. Here's a passage from Brave New World.

The controllers had the Island of Cyprus cleared of all its existing inhabitants and re-colonized with a specially prepared batch of twenty-two thousand alphas. All industrial and agricultural equipment was handed over to them and they were left to manage their own affairs. The result exactly fulfilled all theoretical predictions. The land wasn't properly worked; there were strikes in all the factories; the laws were set at naught, orders disobeyed; all the people detailed for a spell of low-grade work were perpetually intriguing for high-grade jobs, and all the people with high-grade jobs were counter-intriguing at all costs to stay where they were. Within six years they were having a first-class civil war. When nineteen out of the twenty-two thousand had been killed, the survivors unanimously petitioned the World Controllers to resume the government of the island. And they did.
                  That would happen to us. I mean, even establishing some sort of order would be a nightmare. Would we be Communist or Libertarian? It wouldn't matter, but dammit, we'd make it matter because we'd want to! We'd starve when we forgot about food due to arguing.

And it wouldn't be pretty for the 5 or so females.
                  I refute it thus!
                  "Destiny! Destiny! No escaping that for me!"

Comment

Hmmm....actually I'd nominate a temporary ruling council of DanQ, MarkG, Ming, MtG, and probably someone like Wraith.

Just temporary until we figure out elections and such, when I would take over
                    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

The problem is that if we had elections, the people who lost would go off to the other side of the island.

And why would it have to be the admins? We know nothing about there RL leadership skills. And Ming's identity is strictly classified - how would we know which one he was?
                      I refute it thus!

Comment

We'd find the one who looks like Rah, obviously
                        Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                        Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

It would be Spartacus-esque.

"I'm Ming!"
                          "No, I'm Ming!"
                          "I'm Ming!"
                          "I'm Ming!"
                          I refute it thus!

Comment

I'd build a fond hut.

Call it the Coffee Shop.

Brew up some Coconut Skull(Homebrew)

Then proceed to get pissed out of my mind.
                            Next to battle lost,misery is a battle gained.
                            --Duke of Wellington(after Waterloo)

Comment

We could invent seafaring, build a trireme, put there half of our population and start taking over the world. I doubt there is a group that do this better than we can.
                              "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Working...
                              X