Questions for creationists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ethelred
    Somehow even in high school biology classes evolution is still hidden away from the tender minds of American youth. Controlled ignorance.
    We did quite a bit on evolution in my class, but we didn't call it evolution. We stuck to terms like "genetic drift" or whatever have you. The only parents who would equate this to evolution would be those who understood enough biology not to be creationists, so it kept the creationist parents happily ignorant of what their kids were being taught. ("You learned about genetic drift? Oh how nice, I'm glad they're not teaching you any of that evolution nonsense.")
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

• Didn't miss much

What I know of biology I learned outside of clases.
      You didn't miss much, trust me. High School biology is so bad in the US that you can learn more from one issue of Scientific American than you can in an entire school year. Some leading scietists even reviewed our nations science text books and flunked them. http://www.sciencenews.org/20010317/bob9.asp

Comment

• Originally posted by DarkCloud

I can almost bet that 10% of that 33 live in Kansas as they are attmepting to outlaw evolutionary theory again.
        Kansas is not a Southern State. Its not quite as bad you are thinking though.

Bluehost - Top rated web hosting provider - Free 1 click installs For blogs, shopping carts, and more. Get a free domain name, real NON-outsourced 24/7 support, and superior speed. web hosting provider php hosting cheap web hosting, Web hosting, domain names, front page hosting, email hosting. We offer affordable hosting, web hosting provider business web hosting, ecommerce hosting, unix hosting. Phone support available, Free Domain, and Free Setup.

Thanks to the wisdom of Kansas voters, new science standards were adopted in February 2001, which re-emphasized the theory of evolution as the unifying theme of modern biology.

I guess its the legislature that is hard of learning. The voters seem to have a better grasp on reality.

The creationists merely do not have a grasp of how LONG it took these things to evolve.
        They don't CARE how long science says evolution took. Not the young Earth creationists anyway. They don't think the Earth is old at all so the claims of billions of years don't faze them one bit.

I don't think it is dying. At least among Democrats in America. And anyways, "true" isolationism never existed. America was always intervening in Latin America from the 1870's onwards.
        Isolationism seems more Republican to me. Bush was planning on going a bit isolationist until September 11. At least he learned how stupid that was. Not completely brain dead I guess. I don't understand why he was on the side of isolationism though since his father certainly wasn't.

Comment

• Originally posted by Logical Realist

Maybe the numerical relationships described by math exist but math itself cannot. Math is just a field of study, remove any being capable of studying math and you remove math. For the time being.
          So then what do you want to call it?

If the numerical relationships exist without Man then it would be charitable to call this hair splitting on your part. Shall we call it numericalrelationshipsthatwecan'tcallmathbecausema nisnotaroundtocallitthatology.

I will stick with calling it math. The numerical relationships don't need Men but Men need words to discuss them.

Comment

• kansas is part of the southern "bible belt"
            and bush was isolationist because the people were isolationist. The people didn't want war. The american people are idiots.

They should either invervene in EVERY foreign war (Yugoslavia and AFRICAN WARS!) or they should intervene in NONE!!!(!#(@&$(!@

Can't they decide what they want.

And democrats are more isolationist- they don't want people to buy weapons and arms.
            -->Visit CGN!
            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

The american people are idiots.
              Woah! Hold on there, Nelly!

Try using the word some...

Comment

• Democrats are the world's saviours... they want to get into every country and solve all of the problems.
                I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                New faces...Strange places,
                Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

kansas is part of the southern "bible belt"
                  Its not Southern. Its that simple. The Bible Belt is not limited to the South.

and bush was isolationist because the people were isolationist. The people didn't want war.
                  Bush is isolationist because HE is isolationist. He didn't even get the majority of the votes.

The american people are idiots.
                  Thank you. I apreciate you staggering ignorance about the American public.

They should either invervene in EVERY foreign war (Yugoslavia and AFRICAN WARS!) or they should intervene in NONE!!!(!#(@&$(!@
                  And you call Americans iditiots. Perhaps you need you need to work on your own logic. You are short on it.

Can't they decide what they want.
                  Actually we decide every election. Its the Italians that can't decide.

And democrats are more isolationist- they don't want people to buy weapons and arms.
                  You have no idea of what you are talking about. First your wrong. Second the conclusion does not follow from the premise.

By that illogic the Brits are isolationist because they REALLY don't allow people to buy arms.

I am a democrat. I have a pistol.

All right I don't have any bullets for it. So what?

Comment

• Originally posted by MrBaggins

Woah! Hold on there, Nelly!

Try using the word some...
                    As a group they are.
                    As are any group of people unless the group has a wise and enlighetened leader.

Ethelred- what is it then- Midwestern?
                    In kansas the stereotype is a bunch of southern hicks much like Arkansaw or Tejas.

Bush is isolationist because the PEOPLE want to be isolationist, the politicaians cater to the PEOPLE. that is why the parties are so much alike. They don't want to alienate the people.

I am not short on logic- they should have a consistent foreign policy. Not- we'll intervene only when Europeans are having genocidal wars.

Blah Blah. Can't decide as in a consistent policy.

AS in people buying weapons and arms- I meant the MILITARY they want to shrink the military. Generally, Republicans want to enlarge it, \
                    -->Visit CGN!
                    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

• Well Kansas is north of Texas and west of Illinois... doesn't seem anywhere in the South... It is considered Midwest.

Why do countries do anything? For the good of their people. When we take out Afghanistan it's because we stand to gain from the situation. Africa as of now doesn't provide any incentive tfor America and there is no large constituency asking for us to intervene. That, and many times countries ask for assistance (Saudi Arabia).
                      I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                      New faces...Strange places,
                      Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                      -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

As a group they are.
                        Americans aren't into groups that way. We don't depend on a paternalist leader to do our thinking for us.

Ethelred- what is it then- Midwestern?
                        Its about as Midwestern as its possible to be.

In kansas the stereotype is a bunch of southern hicks much like Arkansaw or Tejas.
                        Arkansas is Southern. Texas is TEXAS not Southern. Texas is part of the South but its not realy Southern. Its part of the South-West and in many way a typical Western State except that it was once a slave state.

Texas is a unique state. It doesn't fit into categories very well but it best fits the West these days. It never had the aristocracy that the Deep South had. Its true religion is football. American football. I am not Texan but I think many Texans would agree with me on this.

Bush is isolationist because the PEOPLE want to be isolationist, the politicaians cater to the PEOPLE. that is why the parties are so much alike. They don't want to alienate the people.
                        Americans are not as isolationist as you think. It varies from place to place of course. We would I suppose prefer to mind our own bussiness. Which sounds good to me but our bussiness is worldwide these days and has been for since the Civil War and much more so since WWII. The Pacific Coast economy is strongly connected with Asia the East Coast is more connected to Europe.

I am not short on logic- they should have a consistent foreign policy. Not- we'll intervene only when Europeans are having genocidal wars.
                        That is silly. We intervene when its in our interests and that is consistent enough. We intervened in Somalia. It did not go well. Continued intervention would not be in US interests in most countries there. Dead Americans is never in US interests.

AS in people buying weapons and arms- I meant the MILITARY they want to shrink the military. Generally, Republicans want to enlarge it, \
                        Which has nothing to do with isolationism. Its just a matter of priorities on spending. Republicans decrease the military when it suits them and Bush senior did that and he was no isolationist. Reagan increased it and he too was not an isolationist.

Comment

As a group they are.

*snip*
                          Stupid>
                          1 a : slow of mind : OBTUSE b : given to unintelligent decisions or acts : acting in an unintelligent or careless manner c : lacking intelligence or reason : BRUTISH

Well I'm not stupid... and I'm part of this group. I know many other individuals whom I would not catagorize as stupid.

I won't argue with you about the President being dumber than a bag of hammers... but... ok there's no but there..

However, he doesn't make all the descisions... they are made by committee, and by elected official. Many of whom are not stupid.

If you can prove the stupidity of the U.S. as a whole grouping, I'd like to see it.

Also, if you can come up with some countries with consistently enlightened leaders... I'd like to see that too.

Comment

• Oh, so now the creationists have all crawled back under their rocks, the evolutionists have nothing left to do but fight each other?

At least the good guys won

Comment

• Originally posted by Lung
                              Oh, so now the creationists have all crawled back under their rocks, the evolutionists have nothing left to do but fight each other?

At least the good guys won
                              I have not gone away to hide under a rock. I have not had time to make a thoughtfull post because I have a report due, and I need to spend time on that and other things that I need to do. But I have not gone into hiding. As for other people, I have no idea what they are doing. Some of them may be like me, dont have time. I can only speak for my self. I will make a post soon though, been doing research on this subject in my spare time.
                              Donate to the American Red Cross.
                              Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

• There is a new thread on the subject. Just got moved here from Civ3 general. Someone was complaining the Theory of Evolution as a Great Wonder.

That thing started today and it allready on page NINE.

And thats without me adding to it.

Here is another one that just popped up

Religious evolution

The threads are being created faster than the Bible has Jehova creating in Genesis.

I am busy reading about the new patch myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X