Questions for creationists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ethelred

On top of all that they usually claim the Ice Caps were created by the flood. How?
    Apparently when the waters rose from the Deep, there was a simultaneous vulcanic activity that released ash to outer atmosphere, and caused a nuclear winter. (?!?)
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot was my reply.

Thanks for those links.
    "A witty saying proves nothing."
    - Voltaire (1694-1778)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack the Bodiless
      Similarly, for "scientific knowledge", you usually get the knowledge that the Earth is round (a fact known to various ancient peoples, but not to the Hebrews: Isaiah 40:22 refers to a flat disk, not a sphere).
      My God, how biased can one be?!?
      Where in history did any people believe the Earth was like a flat disk with round edges (or no edges)?!?

And how can you interpret things in the horizontal, when Isaiah is talking about the vertical? It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth
      "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
      Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
      Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
      Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Zealot
        And how can you interpret things in the horizontal, when Isaiah is talking about the vertical? It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth
        The "circle of the earth" is a hemispherical cup that is on top of the disk. Just take a look at Genesis, it explains the whole "sun orbiting the earth" business by describing concentric hemispheres, with the circle of the earth being the lowest and the circle of the fixed stars being the highest.
        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Where in history did any people believe the Earth was like a flat disk with round edges (or no edges)?!?
          The Middle East.
          Well, I presume he wasn't sitting up to his neck in dirt, so he wasn't sitting IN the Earth. He also spreads out the sky to cover the Earth "like a tent".

The flat-Earthism of the ancient Hebrews is well known. It's apparent in all their writings (not just the Bible) whenever the subject comes up. The Earth, to them, was a flat plate, with the dome of the firmament above and Sheol (the underworld) down below. The stars are attached to the firmament dome.

The Flat-Earth Bible

...Wherever did you get the notion that they thought it was spherical?

How biased can you be, Zealot?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack the Bodiless
            The Middle East.
            Excuse me, but according to the link you provided, the Egyptian "universe" was rectangular, not round!

Originally posted by Jack the Bodiless
            Well, I presume he wasn't sitting up to his neck in dirt, so he wasn't sitting IN the Earth. He also spreads out the sky to cover the Earth "like a tent".
            So? Can a tend only cover something rectangular and not circular/spherical?
            Don't see what your "problem" may be!

The flat-Earthism of the ancient Hebrews is well known. It's apparent in all their writings (not just the Bible) whenever the subject comes up. The Earth, to them, was a flat plate, with the dome of the firmament above and Sheol (the underworld) down below. The stars are attached to the firmament dome.

The Flat-Earth Bible
            You know, after reading that site, the first thing I can conclude is that it is a lot easier to adopt an oppinion to something we're already bended to accept more easily.
            Yes, there are really screwed up people to defend anything that might come across anyone's mind. Still, not wanting to discuss the whole site (don't have the time for it), I would like to point just this subject; they present some texts of how the Earth is immovable. Yet, just after I read the first text, this question came across my mind:
            Isn't a planet fixed from a galactic point of view if it sticks to its orbit?

And about that book of Enoch, man, if it had any credit among the people of the time it would surely be acknowledged by the scholars of the time, wich it seems it wasn't!
            And saying that the book influenced the New testament because there's drammatic evidence that only they know about is not something I take with credit...

...Wherever did you get the notion that they thought it was spherical?
            Because from what I learned from school was that the Greeks were the first people to have the geocentric theory, with a flat-earth. I've never heard anything about that among the hebrew.
            And seeing the "evidence" given by that site you gave... dude, we're never getting anywere!
            "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
            Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
            Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
            Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Excuse me, but according to the link you provided, the Egyptian "universe" was rectangular, not round!
              What's your point? He was referring to the Hebrews, not the Egyptians.

So? Can a tend only cover something rectangular and not circular/spherical?
              Why do you say circular/spherical? They don't mean the same thing. A tent can cover a plate, but I've never heard of a tent covering a ball--the latter simply isn't feasible.

Isn't a planet fixed from a galactic point of view if it sticks to its orbit?
              No. The entire local star cluster is rotating around the galactic center.

Because from what I learned from school was that the Greeks were the first people to have the geocentric theory, with a flat-earth.
              The Greeks knew full well that the earth wasn't flat. They were seafarers, and the horizon line provided stunning evidence that the earth wasn't flat.

I've never heard anything about that among the hebrew.
              Ignorance on your part does not constitute proof of your assertions.

And seeing the "evidence" given by that site you gave... dude, we're never getting anywere!
              If you continue to ignore the very Bible you profess to have faith in, then you are correct: nothing will ever convince you, since you will simply continue to ignore all evidence to the contrary.

Comment

• I really admire you guys that break up quotes like that: it is too much effort for me to be bothered.

I usually just concede to the other's point and realise I will never see them face-to-face... EVER.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anunikoba
                  I really admire you guys that break up quotes like that: it is too much effort for me to be bothered.
                  It's more a habit than anything else.

Comment

You call yourself Zealot and you ask a question like that?

Vertical? You are the first I have ever seen claim that and I have seen some doozies to avoid what that so clearly says.

How about when the devil shows Jesus the four corners of the Earth from a mountain top. That clearly shows the Earth is

Square

Not a sphere

And that the author didn't have a clue about reality.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ethelred

Most Baptists. Lots of Southerners. Lots of others as well. About 25 per cent of Americans last I heard.

So its more like 33 per cent not 25. But it is improving anyway.
                      I can almost bet that 10% of that 33 live in Kansas as they are attmepting to outlaw evolutionary theory again. The reason they do this is becuase they are out of the loop and are not exposed to the true ideas. and they have no concept or grasp of time. It is hard for someone to believe that things could have evolved because humans live so short. They cannot believe that Octopi and Squid evovled from other animals because they are so very different.

The creationists merely do not have a grasp of how LONG it took these things to evolve.

Not wanting to be entangled in European messes is not the same thing as not faceing the real world. If you are thousands of miles from most other countries it just simply isn't the same as it is where the other nations are cheek by jowel. The US has only two neighbors and one mostly speaks the same language.

Things became different after WWII. Isolationism is dead. Well dying anyway. Some people don't learn. See then numbers above.
                      I don't think it is dying. At least among Democrats in America. And anyways, "true" isolationism never existed. America was always intervening in Latin America from the 1870's onwards.
                      -->Visit CGN!
                      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

• Proving Logic

Adalbertus:
                        2) However, the need to accept logic as universal truth is not a proof that it actually is. All attempts to prove logic as a universal truth will have to use logic, and therefore are circular.
                        True, logic can't technically be "proven" but the axioms of logic can be seen as evident or self-evident.

BTW, even if math is structed in such a way as for us to be able to discover it without any further resaerch it does not mean math is no longer discovered or invalid. Perhaps we evolved those structures because they relfect reality. Perhaps not, but indicating origins does not equal refutation or mean that math is an pure invention.

Comment

• Re: Proving Logic

Originally posted by Logical Realist
                          Adalbertus:

True, logic can't technically be "proven" but the axioms of logic can be seen as evident or self-evident.
                          But you always end up back in your own mind...I know it's true because I think! Solipsism, I tells ya!

BTW, even if math is structed in such a way as for us to be able to discover it without any further resaerch it does not mean math is no longer discovered or invalid. Perhaps we evolved those structures because they relfect reality. Perhaps not, but indicating origins does not equal refutation or mean that math is an pure invention.
                          I disagree - math exists (unlike philosophy) independently of man.
                          I refute it thus!
                          "Destiny! Destiny! No escaping that for me!"

Comment

• I find it pretty hard to believe that one third of Americans believe in creationism, at least as opposed to evolution.
                            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• Goingonit:
                              But you always end up back in your own mind...I know it's true because I think! Solipsism, I tells ya!
                              Ah, now I disagree, because given the rules of logic and the acceptance of certain self-evident axioms, Solipsism can be shown to be asburd and hence disproven.

I disagree - math exists (unlike philosophy) independently of man.
                              Maybe the numerical relationships described by math exist but math itself cannot. Math is just a field of study, remove any being capable of studying math and you remove math. For the time being.

Comment

• Somehow even in high school biology classes evolution is still hidden away from the tender minds of American youth. Controlled ignorance.

Of course for that I am going on what I have read. I didn't take biology. Ever. What I know of biology I learned outside of clases.

Comment

Working...
                                X