You ask "Why do we feel so patriotic"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MacTBone
    Yeah, well, Americans take it a step back and consider them heroes, and because these people, from our country are heroes, we have a feeling that we're doing something right. It's like when some kid does the right thing in a situation, and the parents, who were there all along, feel a warm glow, because they raised there child to do the right thing.
    This attitude bugs me. The logic is: These incredibly brave policemen are heros and they're American. MacTBone is American so he, and other Americans, are going to take credit for their heroic deed. That's pure BS. You didn't do something right. These policemen were the ones that acted with courage.

The courage of these policemen did not come from their nationality.

Last year, a couple of off-duty Hong Kong cops tried to save some people who were drowning in the ocean. One of the cops died. Does this give all Hong Kong residents the right to feel patriotic about the cops' action. No.
    Golfing since 67

Comment

I agree it's tasteless, but the underlying point is valid.

Plenty of people sit on their asses from the comfort of their computers and nitpick every alleged or actual error, every policy decision, every military decision, every policy decision, etc.

There is a valid question in there as to how different the attitudes and responses would be if the attacks were a bit closer to home.
      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

If the US saved Europe would you stop your anti-US trolling? Oh wait, we did, and you haven't.

And if anything is trolling, it's got to be the constant repetition that the Europeans should be eternally grateful. Why don't you instead add something new to the endless "debate" by adressing his actual point - this being that you cannot automatically attribute the actions of individuals to whichever group they happen to belong to.

Comment

Why should I be ashamed for being patriotic?

Don't you ever root for a sport team? Don't you ever have people tell you your team sucks? Don't you defend your team? Don't you bask in the glory when your team wins?
          I never know their names, But i smile just the same
          New faces...Strange places,
          Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
          -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
            Sh*t Imran, you know they'll just mock it.
            You are ****ing parano ! What funny in that ? Do you **** believe that only American can be ****ing courageous ?

Stop this ****ing bull**** please.
            Zobo Ze Warrior
            --
            Your brain is your worst enemy!

Comment

No more than the drivel you spew.

Fine. I hope the US gets attacked again, so you'll see your tactics to defend your nation aren't working and that they will finally change and Bush won't get re-elected.

^
              ||
              ||
              ||

Total bull**** of course. But making such comments is allowed apparantly.
              Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

Of course we'll be attacked again.

I've said before there is no way to eliminate terrorism 100%. But I think we have made great progress in afghanistan. Unfortunately there are other nations like Iran and Saudi Arabia which pose a significant problem.

I just don't think Europeans get it. We can't just sit back while all of our buildings get demolished, and parts of cities are made inhabitable by dirty bombs. We have to be proactive, and reduce the threat of serious terrorists attacks. I don't really care about the minor stuff. that is too difficult to stop. But we are talking about attacks with mass casualties and destruction that can be stopped.

Comment

you know this is a deadend.

many european nations have been through far worst situations than that so we feel you are way overeacting and being too self - proud.

on the other hand who can blame you for feeling proud for the heroic deeds of men and women of america under these trying times and say so.

it is a deadend.

Comment

Originally posted by Saint Marcus

Fine. I hope the US gets attacked again, so you'll see your tactics to defend your nation aren't working and that they will finally change and Bush won't get re-elected.

^
                    ||
                    ||
                    ||

Total bull**** of course. But making such comments is allowed apparantly.
                    Yes, expression of opinion is allowed within pretty broad limits.
                    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

If the US saved Europe would you stop your anti-US trolling? Oh wait, we did, and you haven't.
                      Really you think USA saved Europe?.
                      1) Europe has passed many bloody wars (some really bloody)during the last milleniums (most of that you can imagine ). Now a raw country comes and saves us? You do not believe that you exaggerate a bit?.
                      2) If you refer to the second world war, USA had a secondary role in the defeat of Germany, they were RUSSIANS (European) those who defeat Germany (European also, you did not know it?).
                      3) If you insist on historical questions, the independence of USA had never been possible without the military help of France or the economic help of Spain (very important but "forgot" by the government USA for political reasons).
                      4) On the other hand you also are European (Extremely vulgar but European) are necessary many centuries in order that really a country develop an own civilization.
                      5) "Honor your father and your mother", without Europe USA would not even exist. So, close your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

Plenty of people sit on their asses from the comfort of their computers and nitpick every alleged or actual error, every policy decision, every military decision, every policy decision, etc.

There is a valid question in there as to how different the attitudes and responses would be if the attacks were a bit closer to home.
                        MtG, believe it or not, I do see your point. Yes, really.

However, there are at least three reasons I don´t agree:

1) You always, quite consistently, say that morality has no place in international politics. You fail to see, however, that this line of thought justifies Bin Laden as well. The way you draw the line is entirely subjective. ***Note: Very important point!***

2) The Bush government does abuse 9/11 to justify possible aggressions against countries that have absolutely nothing to do with it (Iraq, Iran, North Korea). ***EXTREMELY important point!!***

3) There are people, believe it or not, who doubt the entire official story about 9/11; some of them are Americans.

They create more than enough doubt for me to want to see some *proof* for the official version. Depending upon the word of George Bush, who is, according to some Americans, a suspect, is simply not enough. ***DECISIVE point, if there is even a 1% chance that it´s the guilty, who direct the American war effort.***
                        Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

If the firemen had been Europeans would you stop all your anti-EU trolling?

When was that then? I must have missed it.

It seems like you lot have learned nothing from the WTC attacks

Comment

Working...
                          X