Next Superpower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ranskaldan
    4. lol. And so are the Americans, Arabs, English, Russians, Germans, Spanish and Japanese, I believe.
    The English aren't. In general, we are almost as apathetic about our own country as we are about America.
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

As IW says, being nationalist is very un-English.

The Welsh and Scottish "national" parties are accepted by society and are very popular, whilst the concept of an English national party doesn't even exist - its considered not to be PC.

The only time the English are patriotic is in sports tournaments.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
        The only time the English are patriotic is in sports tournaments.
        Where patriotism involves throwing things at the dirty {insert other nationality here}, in a reactiont to their overawing nationalism
        Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
          As IW says, being nationalist is very un-English.

the people probably thinks british-nationalism. See the euro...
          Israel = apartheid

Comment

Look at the history of the countries of the EU. Nearley all have had empires and all have constantley gone to war (Against each other though) So a united EU would be a superpower
            I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

Some time ago there was a census in Britain where among a zillion other questions people had to say what nationality they belonged to. People could answer Pakistan, Scottish, or whatever. One guy wrote "English"...and had to pay a huge fine! (As had the shopkeeper that was using pounds instead of kilos.)

Anyway, start a Manchurian Independence Party in China (as opposed to a Mancunian Independence Party in England) and see how long it takes to be arrested. 5 minutes I reckon.

Comment

nah.... give it a day or two, coz the communist party, you must understand, is very bureaucratically slow.

besides, it would be a bit hard to start such a party, since 90% of Manchuria's population is ethnically Chinese, which is why we don't hear about a Manchurian government-in-exile.

But anyway.... your point being? The communist party likes to suppress opposition groups?
                Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

Yes, and they also have become nationalist. No doubt to increase their own popularity. The communists party of the Soviet Union did the same.
                  Tibet is another country that had become China-ized and China could even hold a referendum there to ask about independence.

But the same is true for Taiwan where the original population with its own languages has shrunk to some 100,000.

I dont know how China reacts to the Disney invasion that has already conquered Europe. Or do they have their own cartoon family with Pig Mao instead of Donald Duck?

I have never been to China and have no idea what one can buy and say openly.

If you want to pick up a good nationalist Chinese computergame get Romance of the Three Kingdoms, free at www.theunderdogs.org

Comment

Originally posted by WFHermans
                    Yes, and they also have become nationalist. No doubt to increase their own popularity. The communists party of the Soviet Union did the same.
                    WFHermans: Thanks for the news flash. I some how missed the news that the Communist Party of China is now the Nationalist Party of China. Has Beijing also announced that Chiang Kai-shek is the father of Modern China?

And if you still don't get the joke, and no doubt you don't, the Nationalists are the guys on Taiwan.
                    Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by WFHermans
                      Some time ago there was a census in Britain where among a zillion other questions people had to say what nationality they belonged to. People could answer Pakistan, Scottish, or whatever. One guy wrote "English"...and had to pay a huge fine!
                      Given that you have said nothing that closely resembles the truth, I seriously doubt that this happened. You simply are not a credible source.
                      Golfing since 67

Comment

Well, the USA has the Democratic Party and the Republican Party. But their names don't mean that the Republican Party is against democracy or the Democratic Party is against the republic. Same with the Nationalist and Communist Party.
                        Since long the Communist Party of the People's Republic of China has been on a nationlist course. Although they got a lot of help from stupid US presidents like Carter (who wanted to hand them over Taiwan) and Bush the younger with his unreasonable threats after the spy planes debacle.

Comment

WFHermans:

what exactly are you trying to say???

can you stop making weird claims like:

Chinese have no compassion, there is no word for it in chinese language, so it will have even less trouble with wars and masskillings than other peoples.

Chinese (and Japanese) have the highest IQ

I dont know how China reacts to the Disney invasion that has already conquered Europe. Or do they have their own cartoon family with Pig Mao instead of Donald Duck?

If you want to pick up a good nationalist Chinese computergame get Romance of the Three Kingdoms, free at www.theunderdogs.org

(this game. which i have a copy of, is historical. not. nationalistic.)

Tibet is another country that had become China-ized and China could even hold a referendum there to ask about independence.

???? Tibet is sinicized? Over 90% the population of the Tibetan Autonomous Region is Tibetan.
                          edit: this has been corrected by Transcend. I take back this point.

and of course:

Some time ago there was a census in Britain where among a zillion other questions people had to say what nationality they belonged to. People could answer Pakistan, Scottish, or whatever. One guy wrote "English"...and had to pay a huge fine!
                          Last edited by ranskaldan; February 4, 2002, 19:21.
                          Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

Originally posted by Estilpón

the people probably thinks british-nationalism. See the euro...
                            Not even that, the only reason people are against the Euro is because they don't understand/trust the continental Europeans. National pride is not the issue.
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by ranskaldan

???? Tibet is sinicized? Over 90% the population of the Tibetan Autonomous Region is Tibetan.
                              More like 75%. Tibetans are the minority in Lhasa, capital of Tibet. If the current continues, Tibet will be sinicized in a generation.

Comment

ranskaldon, can you stop making weird claims like:

Over 90% the population of the Tibetan Autonomous Region is Tibetan.
                                Long-term Chinese settlement in Tibet has been deliberately encouraged, with the result that Tibetans are in the minority in many areas. Independent research puts the number of Chinese in the TAR at 5 ­ 5.5 million versus 4.5 million Tibetans; in Kham and Amdo, Chinese outnumber Tibetans many times over. Chinese traders are favoured by lower tax assessments and the dominant position of Chinese in government administration.

Since 1950, an estimated 1.2 million Tibetans have been killed by the Chinese. China has ratified a number of UN conventions, including those related to torture and racial discrimination, and yet has repeatedly violated these in China and Tibet.

http://www.freetibet.org/ if your country allows you to surf there.

thx Transcend for answering this too while I was typing this.

Comment

Working...
                                X