No announcement yet.

Next Superpower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It all depends on when the EU stops expanding. Will it keep expanding beyond the bounds of Europe? If Russia were to join the EU in the next 30-40 years then its clear that the combined population, resources and socio-economic climate would make "Europe" the next Superpower.

If China abandons communism, then bye-bye for them. If they gradually increase socio-economic freedoms they stand a much better chance. Russia fell apart after the collapse of communism, do we want the same for China?
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I voted 'other' because there was no option to pick the Hive.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFred
        I voted 'other' because there was no option to pick the Hive.
        The Hive IS America, just with a Chinese guy's head as President

Comment

China will likely be the next superpower because they are the only country of such size that is taking population control seriously.
          ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
          ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

It's the Czechs.

We're just waiting for the right moment.

Comment

Originally posted by red_jon

Nah, they'll be destroyed by the Isle of Wight Empire.
              Nah, they will both crumble before the might of the Scilly Isles
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

There won't be another superpower. If any nation can reach parity (in all areas) with the US, that would mean US power has diminished greatly. In turn that would mean more than one nation could rise up, thus eliminating the meaning of Superpower.
                "Let us kill the English! Their concept of individual rights could undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!"

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

thus eliminating the meaning of Superpower.

IIRC, the term superpower came into use describing both the USSR and the USA as the worlds 2 superpowers.
                  -connorkimbro
                  "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

I didn't even vote for Australia. You want to be a superpower? You're welcome to it.

Next country will be either China or India or Brazil (in that order). The European Union is already a superpower.
                    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I see a tripolar system: US, EU, China emerging.

Which is good, because tripolar systems are the most stable empirically.
                      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                      -Joan Robinson

Comment

I think the EU has a long way to go before they can claim themselves to be a superpower. Millions of things can happen in the next 50 years. Another Hitler, Immigrants become a majority, Terrorism, Taxation destroys the idea of an EU..etc...etc....

But if EU does rise to power. It would be a good idea for the USA to court them....and not shun them.

Comment

It will be t he USA/EU alliance against the evil forces of um....

Comment

> because tripolar systems are the most stable empirically.

Like (Austria-Hungary, Germany) + (Russia, UK, France) + US?

1914-19 didn't seem very stable to me.

Tri-poles are stable when the #1 tries to dominate, but they're deadly when the #3 starts to fall apart. I could see:

(China, India, Pakistan) + EU + US winding up in the same bind if the US went isolationist and the east Asian powers started to slip back towards being western vassal states.

Comment

But if EU does rise to power. It would be a good idea for the USA to court them....and not shun them.

That's the major problem. Europe sees their potential rise as a counter-balance/competitor rather than a compliment to the US. That type of thinking will cause future problems.

But when it comes to military power, does/will Europe really have the stomach to be a military power?
                              "Let us kill the English! Their concept of individual rights could undermine the power of our beloved tyrants!"

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc

Comment

I define Tripolar as systems where there are three major powers, not necessarily three major alliances.

And one case doesn't do very much... try looking at all the wars/conflicts from 1400 to present, like my professor did. Took him about 6 years just to compile the list of wars/conflicts
                                "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                                -Joan Robinson

Comment

Working...
                                X