Let's talk about the weather!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk about the weather!

It seems that a big cold wave has simultanuously struck North America, Japan and Eastern Europe (75% of the developped world that is), while a heat wave and serious wildfires are threatening Australia.

IMHO this is proof of the effects global warming has in destabilising the earth's weather: hotter summers and colder winters all over.

On the home front: This is the first time we've got snow in downtown Athens since March 1987 (and even then it hadn't snowed that much). Snow begun gathering since yesterday afternoon and by the morning, we had at least 5-10 cm of snow everywhere. Bread, groceries and videotapes were on high demand today and we've got shortages, since people are staying indoors this weekend. Estimates are that the snow will be still here tomorrow morning and that it will all have turned to ice. Friends calling from the suburbs talk about at least 20-30cm snow and they are going berzerk, since it's the second day they're stranded in their neighbourhoods.

Perhaps I should have bought snow gear for my car - I wanted to, but then I thought I would never get to use it...

Come on, northerners, share your experiences with us!
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
    George Orwell

wasnt there a verse similar to this:
    No man can tell the season.

Maybe my memory doesnt serve me correctly

Comment

It's sad to watch the snow melt...

I guess that the snowman i made earlier is melting too...
      George Orwell

Comment

Yeah, it has been pretty cold over here this festive period, although nothing outside of acceptable parameters.
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I am not sure I would blame every bit of unusual weather on global warming...

Anyway, we have lots of fun here in Denmark. We started with 25cm snow, then it half-thawed to wet snow/puddles, and it it froze into a 3cm ice layer all over. And it is _everywhere_ .
          http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

This wave should get over here in a couple of days too. Maybe there will be some snow in Jerusalem.
            (and of course, another school trip will be cancelled)
            "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Duh, it's snowing again!

It was about the same time yesterday that it began to accumulate. Perhaps it's because it's sunset and the temperature is dropping.

In Greece it's a quite funny, since the north half of the country is sunny (though very cold) and the southern half (including the islands and Crete) is buried in snow. One month before, it was the other way around. Some islanders (f.e. in Samos) hadn't seen snow in their yards since 1926.

The cold is partially responsible for the smooth adoption of the Euro here too. Because of the cold, there isn't much business around. There are some islands however, where the Euro hasn't been sent yet, due to the 9-10 Beauffort winds which has stranded all ships in ports.
              George Orwell

Comment

the country is in chaos but...

Beautiful. Just beautiful

Comment

It's been ****ing freezing here.

I don't like snow any more.
                  Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

It hasn't snowed in Kent at all this winter. Morning frosts is the worst we have had. Curious.
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Over here, the mornings are deadly (-18 °C today). And then there's this 1 mile walk to work.
                      But then again I'm lucky I don't live in Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by Juggler
                        Over here
                        where?

Comment

Areas of the country have had -12C...here in manchester I think the lowest we got to was -6C. ****ing freezing!
                          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Look at his location packets, he is in Europe

It has been bloody cold. I was walking from the bus stop (car trouble, don't ask), and nearly went down three times. Bloody ice
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

that's how Athens looks like now. I never thought I'd see this!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X