Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just checked a list of GDP rankings... WTF, Germany not 3rd anymore?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

now China is not even on that list, so it is probably worse than bad at that, anticipatedly

how can the US have such a high GDP per capita?

and Germany is only bad like that nowadays because of us guys

Comment

how can the US have such a high GDP per capita?
      GDP per capita also doesn't say everything. Cost of living, and things like education and health care need to be taken into account. Also, the low exchange rate of the Euro probably has a lot to do with it too (though Luxembourgh is still extremely high, but it used to be a lot higher than in the US).

Hah!
      Wow...a difference of 800 dollars per year. My my
      Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit

Comment

26. Pakistan 282,000,000,000 282,000,000,000 0.00

No growth/decline in Pakistan at all in a year? Seems highly unlikely.

Comment

Dodgy figures. The UK is higher than that. We have the fourth biggest economy.
          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Mark L
            GDP per capita also doesn't say everything. Cost of living, and things like education and health care need to be taken into account. Also, the low exchange rate of the Euro probably has a lot to do with it too (though Luxembourgh is still extremely high, but it used to be a lot higher than in the US).
            These are PPP figures, so they do take into account the cost of living, education, healthcare, etc. US is doing so well because of the size of its market and its pro free market policies. These figures are old anyway, the US is even better now ($36,400), while Europe has hardly grown. Since the prices are already taken into account, the exchange rate of the Euro has nothing to do with the US and European rankings.

Perhaps the new Euro currency will enable Europe to take advantage of the economies of scale on the level of the US, but if Europe truly wants to catch up, it needs to start embracing the free market more.
            Rome rules

Comment

26. Pakistan 282,000,000,000 282,000,000,000 0.00

No growth/decline in Pakistan at all in a year? Seems highly unlikely.
              This is the result of sanctions imposed on Pakistan due to its nuclear explosions and its resulting economic troubles.
              Rome rules

Comment

Originally posted by Boddington's
                Dodgy figures. The UK is higher than that. We have the fourth biggest economy.
                The figures are rather accurate. The UK is only the fourth biggest economy if the economy is measured nominally, in reality it is much lower than that.
                Rome rules

Comment

This is the result of sanctions imposed on Pakistan due to its nuclear explosions and its resulting economic troubles.
                  If it had economic troubles you'd at least suspect their GDP going down right? I find it highly doubtfull Pakistan's GDP is 0.00%. That's close to impossible.

Comment

Corp. Profits:

4. Royal Dutch/Shell Group (Netherlands/UK) - 12,719.0
                    7. ING Groep (Netherlands) 2,909.7 11,075.2
                    10. Royal Philips Electronics (Netherlands) 6,598.5 8,873.8 [/quote]

3 Dutch companies in the top 10 of the world. A good year for Dutch entrepeneurship!

Comment

If it had economic troubles you'd at least suspect their GDP going down right? I find it highly doubtfull Pakistan's GDP is 0.00%. That's close to impossible.
                      Not necessarily, German GDP growth is also 0% this year. Obviously it is not precisely 0%, it might be 0.2% or something along those lines, but the figures are not that accurate and the same goes for Pakistan (in fact the figures there will be even more inaccurate).
                      Rome rules

Comment

Corp. Profits:

4. Royal Dutch/Shell Group (Netherlands/UK) - 12,719.0
                        7. ING Groep (Netherlands) 2,909.7 11,075.2
                        10. Royal Philips Electronics (Netherlands) 6,598.5 8,873.8
                        3 Dutch companies in the top 10 of the world. A good year for Dutch entrepeneurship! [/QUOTE]

Congratulations

Holland is doing pretty well
                        Rome rules

Comment

Lies, damn lies and Statistics.

On a related issue, what is the spread of the wealth in the various countries like. If two countries have the same GDP per capita it could be split in a variety of proportions:

e.g GDP per capita $20,000; population 10m

1) Everyone earns $20,000
                          2) 1m earns $110,000, the other 9m earn $10,000.
                          3) 1m earns $191, 000 the others $1,000

OK that not be how it would work out but you get the idea.

Basically given that the US has a lot of multi-millionaire income people how much does that skew the results? Include in the fact that the income divide is a lot smaller in Europe and the ROTW.
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                          X