Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World's biggest problem: Overpopulation? (Just something to think about)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overpopulation is self-correcting, either through epidemic, starvation, or war. This is HIGHLY UNPLEASANT, but it means the problem isn't intractable.

Environmental devastation, on the other hand, is intractable. Well, I guess technically it's not, since if we die off as a species then it will eventually take care of itself homeostaticly, but I don't think that's what the thread had in mind.

Stupidity is a problem, but again it's self-correcting -- it gives rise to a real push by the intelligent to create a world where their particular skills allow them to benefit from all the goodies; such a nice meritocracy. So I don't think this qualifies either.

Individual death isn't really a problem either. I mean, in its absence you probably even have a worse world.

Ideological idiocy (religious, economic, whatever) also makes life miserable in large parts of the world (and in most chat rooms), but again, ideologies tend to limit the understanding of their adherents, hence they fall behind and eventually lose.

So, I'll vote for the environment going to hell unless someone has a better idea.

Comment

Working...
    X