What am I doing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I doing?

Self pity thread again, consider yourselves warned.

Having a weird moment. Life is having a weird moment. Having resigned myself to hermitude, interspersed by moments of fury against my renal system my two major things are these...

Writing. Progressing ok after a scare this week. When I planned this novel I'd attempted one beforehand that sort of fizzled out, after realising that I was writing it out of venom and naivity more than anything. So my current one, something a little darker, though a little more consistent and human. I planned it in 12 chapters and assumed I'd write between 5000 and 7000 words each... but shockingly enough I tend to be too concise! At the current rate I'd only end up with 40'000 words for the whole novel, whereas it needs to be between 70'000 - 110'000. So anyway I've spend the last ****ing week restructuring it, and now have 25 sections that puts me on course for ~80k which is nice but grrr extra workload. Don't get me wrong, I feel better that I'm actually working on it and making progress but I started writing it in July and said I'd be finished by September, then xmas, then my birthday which is on tuesday (a deadline that isn't going to happen). Everyone keeps telling me to stop setting myself deadlines but hey easy enough to say that.

And then there's the meds. I had a really bad experience with venlafaxine (aka Effexor XL) so I was switched to carbamazepine (Tegretol). This is a weird one, I'm reacting much better. I'm not really affected much yet because it's only been a few weeks, but I am much calmer. It takes a while to get up to the theraputic dose, but my shrink tells me that I'll likely be on this stuff for years and that it's a "commitment drug" (a terrible thing to say to someone half your age).

But ****, what am I doing (how neat was that, repeating the title? )? Years on this stuff? Kind of makes me feel that I'll have years of this. Yes I know that's not true and things have this habit of changing when you least expect them, but at this moment, what do I really have? A novel who's chances for publication are slight at best. Not that it really matters, I just want to finish the damn thing.

I know what people are likely to say. Get out, travel, take breaks. I'm told to lighten up by some, to stop treating life as a joke by others. Went into town this morning to take back a library book and get a haircut and was literally afraid of walking out of the door. As in properly fearful, racing heart, the works. I must have looked like a complete idiot, black coat, black leather gloves, black scarf, black trousers, black turtleneck, black shoulderbag, glancing over my shoulder like a soap salesman in a dutch prison.

Four years ago, the plan was that by now I'd be in my second year at uni, studying astrophysics with a group of professional nymphomaniac assasins at my beck and call. Food for thought eh?
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

When I first read this I though it said, "interspersed by moments of furries. "

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

It wouldn't make a great deal of difference
      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison

Comment

Four years ago, the plan was that by now I'd be in my second year at uni, studying astrophysics with a group of professional nymphomaniac assasins at my beck and call. Food for thought eh?
        Plans are....unreliable at best. Four years ago my plan was to flee the country and keep running until things magically fell into place, yet here I am spending 20 hours a day in front of my pc, drinking coffee and eating Skittles.

Do you genuinely think you'd want to be at uni right now? I agree there are plenty of nymphomaniac assasins in higher education looking for a leader, but they are more likely to follow one who has taken a slightly more different and interesting route in life.
        Desperados of the world, unite. You have nothing to lose but your dignity.......

Comment

you hit outta a gravity bong yet?
          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Do you genuinely think you'd want to be at uni right now? I agree there are plenty of nymphomaniac assasins in higher education looking for a leader, but they are more likely to follow one who has taken a slightly more different and interesting route in life.
            I'm told that I do. I don't really know myself. We're not really the same people we were years ago... I know my plans when I was 15 wouldn't fit me now, I guess the temptation is to prefer myself as I was then than now.

You mean beautiful, violent women would prefer someone who writes erotica than someone who can talk about wave-particle duality? I am so young, so ignorant...

Lawrence I am a coward.

Comment

Re: What am I doing?

Originally posted by Whaleboy
              I planned it in 12 chapters and assumed I'd write between 5000 and 7000 words each... but shockingly enough I tend to be too concise!
              That really is shocking - considering that your messages on Poly usually run on and on and on...
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Just add in a lengthy section in which all the male characters try splaying their scrotums out across a veriety of flat and transparent surfaces. It worked for Proust.
                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

why put a minimum on the number of words you can have per chapter?

plus i think you should have a chapter thats 3 Words : "ice donkey dildo"
                  "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

That really is shocking - considering that your messages on Poly usually run on and on and on...
                    I know! The thing is that on 'poly I tend to take a post and either dissect it per relevant sentence or paragraph, copy into word and write in a stream of consciousness (unplanned) manner. Also have this annoying tendency to annotation. When something is planned and also descriptive instead of debatey it's a different matter. I like Poe's principle of elevation and revulsion but I don't always adhere to it...

Just add in a lengthy section in which all the male characters try splaying their scrotums out across a veriety of flat and transparent surfaces. It worked for Proust.
                    Proust

why put a minimum on the number of words you can have per chapter?
                    Good point. I don't like being *too* structured, perhaps I gave that impression. The thing is that for a first-time novel especially, a reasonable length is considered between 70k and 110k words, give or take a scrotum splaying. I have a certain amount of content in the plot that I have to work through in a consistent and structured (storyline -> plot) way so I guess some regularity is called for. It's very very difficult for me to write anything structured that's over 4000 words without a plan of some kind. Under that number and I can blag it but without an idea of how much to do and where the text can seem off balance, which is a mistake I made with my last attempted novel.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                      you hit outta a gravity bong yet?
                      my first time was hash out of a gravity bong... I was so ****ed up it was hilarious. I forgot how to use the microwave.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I have a certain amount of content in the plot that I have to work through in a consistent and structured (storyline -> plot) way so I guess some regularity is called for.
                        Years and years ago when I was still reading the computer magazine Byte, one of the regular columnists was Jerry Pournelle. That's the Jerry Pournelle who made a living writing science fiction.

One of the interesting things about his columns was he relayed how he actually used PC in real life, as opposed to most tech columnists, who sorta just babble on in a vacuum.

At any rate, at one point he was describing how he was writing a (then) new novel. Briefly, he would spent the morning in a secluded room (no e-mail, no BBS, no chat, etc.) to review what he wrote the day before, then add 1000 words.

That doesn't seem much, but if you keep to something like that, you can complete your book in 120 days or less. You can also add some spontaneity this way.
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

It's a good approach indeed. It's so surprising the productivity difference as well depending on computers. I *could* write 3000 words a day easily on the PC were it not for the internet, email, forums, games etc. Half tempted to install another copy of windows or linux with a word processor and nothing else for that specific purpose. What I usually end up doing though is using notebooks and handwriting stuff, then typing it up which is a bit easier on the old grey matter. Oh god, it's so old. This is my final day of being a teenager .

Comment

This is my final day of being a teenager .
                            Nothing wrong with that. Sounds like a good occasion to celebrate.

Comment

Yup, every day is a bad day for being a teenager, angst is that...
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X