No announcement yet.

Best Live Album Ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the ignorant masses who don't know what an Antares Auto-tuner is, it's a gadget that fixes the pitch in your voice so that it follows the key exactly - never a false tone. And it still sounds like your voice. With that device, almost anyone can sound good on record.
    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

The concert for bang the desk
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
        What the hell? Aggie you just earned -100 cool boy points.

It's a personal history thing. I essentially stopped listening to popular music from about 1991 onwards (with a few exceptions). Almost all my music purchases were classical.

The rise of mp3 changed that. I don't have my good hifi here in Canada and I listen to a lot of music on my computer.

Fuggin-a, I did the exact same thing, also starting in '91.

Oh, and Frampton Comes Alive!

Comment

For a serious answer, U2's Under a Blood Red Sky and Wide Awake in America.

Comment

Though I'm not the biggest Queen fan, they are a damned hard act to follow at Live aid.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Mmmm, lessee....

Tindersticks: Live in Amsterdam

Suicide: Half Alive

Janis Joplin & Big Brother & The Holdintg Co. : Live At Wonderland 68

Cabaret Voltaire: Live at the Y.M.C.A.

Isaac Hayes: Live at the Sahara Tahoe

Marianne Faithfull: 20th Century Blues: An Evening in the Weimar Republic

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan & Party: En Concert A Paris

The Durutti Column: Domo Arigato

Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense

Portishead: NYC Live at Roseland

Elvis Costello: At the El Mocambo

John Cale: Sabotage Live!

Michael Brook: Live at the Aquarium

Emmylou Harris & the Nashville Ramblers: At the Ryman

Jane Siberry: Child

Various Artists: Jazz on a Summer's Day

Penguin Cafe Orchestra: When in Rome....

Nina Simone: At the Village Gate

Sandy Denny: Final Concert: The Royalty Theatre

Television: The Blow Up
              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Turbonegro: Darkness Forever!
                CSPA

Comment

Nirvana : unplugged
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

My thoughts, even if I haven't listened to that many live albums.

Pearl Jam's Live on Two Legs is actually not that much of a live album, being so neat and polished that once in a while you'd think it was a studio recording. Still it served as a great introduction to the post-Ten material so I have to include it.

Excluding the one I attended, they also released 'official bootlegs' from every concert on their 2000 tour which was a great idea. I believe the cover art is very similar to that of Live at Leeds which probably is to be taken as a tribute (PJ have on many occasions played a decent cover of Baba O'Reilly).

Rammstein's Live aus Berlin and Springsteen's 75-85 live recordings had some gems on them as well.

Nirvana's unplugged deserves some more mention as well, but curiously the covers done by Cobain here lead me to the Meat Puppets live CD which among other worthwhile things included a superior edition of Plateau (or was it Lake of Fire, or both? It's been a while).

I bought a Jeff Buckley live CD once. Presumably it was a great concert to attend, but sound quality was so poor on many songs it was not much use to listen to. I do understand there is other material out there, but I'd have to hear it before I buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                      Damn. Someone mentioned Frampton. I'm going to have to control my inner rage now.
                      to tell the truth, I have never heard that album.

I always figured he was a one hit wonder. If I want to hear that song, I can turn on any classic rock station. I hear that song all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
                        For the ignorant masses who don't know what an Antares Auto-tuner is, it's a gadget that fixes the pitch in your voice so that it follows the key exactly - never a false tone. And it still sounds like your voice. With that device, almost anyone can sound good on record.
                        I never heard of such a thing. I can gurantee it wouldn't work for my horrible voice.

Comment

Radiohead - I Might Be Wrong

Though personally, the Polyphonic Spree live at Reading (2003) would be the highlight, if it existed. Mesmerizing.
                          Smile
                          For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                          But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by Drogue
                            Radiohead - I Might Be Wrong
                            Probably like most others, I did expect Radiohead's live album to be somewhat obscure as opposed to a greatest hits compilation.

Still, couldn't they at least have included a single OK Computer hit along with some The Bends stuff?

Those were great albums and the reasons why I always wanted to see Radiohead live. Right now I'm not so sure...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                              I can't believe I'm the first person to mention Peter Frampton Comes Alive. This album is generally regarded as one of the greatest live albums ever, and definately of the 1970s.
                              It's the best selling live album of all time, so he did something right.

ACK!
                              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

What's Peter Frampton's most widely known song?

I'm not sure I've ever heard any of his material.

For sure I've never heard of the man himself.

Comment

Working...
                                X