Clear All

I didn't say funny

I said funner

which I don't tihnk is a word

aslo, I don't think Tizzyt reads here

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Are you arguing with the referee?
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

As a result of the increased immigration needed, the report predicts that Europefs Muslim population is set to increase from around 13% today to between 22% and 37% of the population by 2025, potentially triggering tensions.
        The Muslim population of the EU is 4% today, not 13%.

It's obvious that this report is simply an idiotic peice of propaganda, not a serious piece of research.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
          I also seem to recall a crisis in Sweden sometime around ten years ago. Seems it was like a flu was going around at the time. Even the yen was affected.
          The interest that banks payed to the national bank was 500 % during a few weeks.

But we landed on our feet.

I pay 3.5 % on my house loan.
          Last edited by Chemical Ollie; January 21, 2005, 07:30.
          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Errmmm, who seriously argues that having to pay for a defence that is never used is more costly than having whole cities and provinces, or the entire country, obliterated by the machines of modern warfare, on top of paying to actually fight a war, and not just sitting in barracks waiting for one? Please point them out, I need a good laugh.
            We stayed out of WW2 because we didn't want to ally with Hitler or Stalin. Those were the options, and both would mean suicide. That was debated to boredom in the other thread.

What war did the others pay to fight in the 50's and 60's, while we were freeriding their defense budget, sitting in our barracks? We had a 700 000 man army (if mobilised) and one of the 5 largest air forces in the world at that time.
            So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
            Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by el freako
              3. The EU starts from a much better fiscal position.
              After Bush's tax-cuts and spending splurge the US's structural budget deficit (i.e. that which would happen if the US economy was performing at 'trend') is around 4% of GDP whereas the EU's is around 1%. This means that the EU has more option to increase borrowing to fund pensions than the US does.
              It's important to note that the issues caused by the aging population is a transitory problem and will only last for 10-20 years. As such, it's perfectly feasible and responsible for governments to borrow their way though the period (within reason of course - taxes will need to be increased a little).
              'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
              - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie

We stayed out of WW2 because we didn't want to ally with Hitler or Stalin. Those were the options, and both would mean suicide. That was debated to boredom in the other thread.

What war did the others pay to fight in the 50's and 60's, while we were freeriding their defense budget, sitting in our barracks? We had a 700 000 man army (if mobilised) and one of the 5 largest air forces in the world at that time.
                I am not questioning why you stayed out. I am agreeing with the article in the OP of Aggy's thread. Sweden benefited from staying out when the rebuilding came and they were in an ideal situation to supply needs. It isn't a judgement, it is an observation.

That was barely scratched on in that thread. Despite Berz trying to return to it repeatedly nobody seemed to want to talk about it. Instead there were debates about the RN vs the Luftwaffe, Finns vs Russians and the impossible position that placed Sweden in, and a thousand other agendas being addressed.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I am not questioning why you stayed out. I am agreeing with the article in the OP of Aggy's thread. Sweden benefited from staying out when the rebuilding came and they were in an ideal situation to supply needs. It isn't a judgement, it is an observation.
                  In the other thread, we concluded that the other Scandinavian countries introduced welfare systems despite being in the war. While staying out of the war was beneficial, it wasn't essential for the welfare state.

That was barely scratched on in that thread. Despite Berz trying to return to it repeatedly nobody seemed to want to talk about it. Instead there were debates about the RN vs the Luftwaffe, Finns vs Russians and the impossible position that placed Sweden in, and a thousand other agendas being addressed.
                  Berz was an ass, accusing us for freeriding on USA and using **** insults. That's the reason he was flamed back and not taken seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                    The conservative cry: throw the elderly to the wolves!

This is BS.
                    Well maybe not too far from the truth as the old continue to live longer and longer?

Sadly the very core problem of the EU, its lack of real foresight has meant that this option will not be available if its needed.
                    The 'Norway to kill 25% of wolf population' being the appropriate story.
                    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

• I just woke up today and thought "I wonder if the EU still exists"
                      Blah

Comment

• well there is that.

It could just be black-ops, i have a feeling the reports about spies in Iran could be the same kinda thing. Sometimes just a rumour can provide enough pressure to get the required result
                        'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara

No, I think it's more wishful thinking. The CIA isn't merely an analytical agency. It also produces ideology, and in this case, this report is likely more for internal U.S. consumption than to develop actual policy around a predicted EU collapse. There is a growing movement in the U.S. to build a more European modeled economy, and this is a salvo in the war by conservtivies to head this off.
                          Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner...
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

• Look, we have a claim here, namely that the strains on the welfare state due to ageing (A) leads to the collapse of the EU (B). Before anyone starts arguing about the validity of A, could the person in question PLEASE first show the precise element(s) that connect A to B, instead of considering that as a given? (and something vague as economic weakness won't do)
                            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• The thing is, the CIA issues many reports. It's very likely there's another report in the CIA saying that the EU is going to kick our economic asses. I doubt this is actually what the CIA, as a whole, is saying will happen.

like that future watch 2020 or whatever it's called...
                              B♭3

Comment

• Look, we have a claim here, namely that the strains on the welfare state due to ageing (A) leads to the collapse of the EU (B). Before anyone starts arguing about the validity of A, could the person in question PLEASE first show the precise element(s) that connect A to B, instead of considering that as a given? (and something vague as economic weakness won't do)
                                i agree totally - the EU is a political and economic union. certain states can fail within due to welfare or whatever, but that doesnt mean the EU as a whole will fail. i hope the CIA isnt serious about this because if they are, they should prolly fire everyone.
                                "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Working...
                                X