No announcement yet.

US Troops Destroy Babylon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I doubt anyone is intentionally damaging anything. It comes from daily use and from unskilled laborers who are highered to fill sand bags or hesco barriers. KBR/Halliburtion should have run things better and military commanders at all levels should have cared more but the truth is everyone will only give lip service because they are ordered to give lip service. Unless heads roll no one in the chain of command will do more.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Among the damage found by Mr Curtis, who was invited to Babylon by Iraqi antiquities experts, were cracks and gaps where somebody had tried to gouge out the decorated bricks forming the famous dragons of the Ishtar Gate.
      That is unquestionably 'intentional' behaviour. I'm sure there are other examples, but suffice it to say this was a serious muck-up. Someone in the decision-making cirlces needs to be held accountable. Hell, the base commanders should have shown better judgement given they are commanding officers. They have some limited decision-making authority, don't they?
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
        My understanding was that people complained that archeological ruins weren't being protected so they built a military base on top of the place. Be careful what you ask for.
        Protection doesn't equal 'build a base on it'. Unless you're playing Command and Conquer.

This base was of little military value; why else would the Poles decide to hand it over to the Iraqi Culture Ministry? It's obviously not a vital supply depot or anything, which begs the question of why it was built in the first place.

Comment

Which Oerdin answered: to protect it.

Comment

I suppose that's institutional stupidity at work.
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

It is sad.

I guess since they can't co-opt a dead civilization, the US will destroy it. That way in the distant future they can say they were the first civ on earth, and there will be no evidence to dispute them...
              There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                I suppose that's institutional stupidity at work.
                A pretty common thing, actually.

Comment

Erm... HyperevilSadamwhojustifiesallatrocitiesthatwedo didnt bulldozed babylon ruins since it was an iraqi national symbol for him. In fact there were occidental archeologist studing there during those works and there were no protests as far as i know.

OTOH it is true that he "restored" in a very uncientific manner. For instance he rebuilt some structures using modern cement and bricks. In the same manner as many paints were "restored" during 19th century and that now must be restored again. Current destruction and pillage is much worse, anyway since it implies to miss forever lots of information, in a scale never seen before.

Some baptists considered Sadam as antichrist because the restored babylon. Maybe now they want to make sure that prophecy not comes true...
                  Ich bin der Zorn Gottes. Wer sonst ist mit mir?

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                    I doubt anyone is intentionally damaging anything. It comes from daily use and from unskilled laborers who are highered to fill sand bags or hesco barriers. KBR/Halliburtion should have run things better and military commanders at all levels should have cared more but the truth is everyone will only give lip service because they are ordered to give lip service. Unless heads roll no one in the chain of command will do more.
                    Incompetence is not an excuse. (even though this administration seems to have different ideas about it)
                    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Hmmmmm....

I suppose you all are in favor of a stop order on all constuction projects in Europe, forever.

Whatever the damage the American's did, which apparenty was nothing more than covering things up with gravel and sand, it pails in comparison to the damage Archeologists inflict.

At least now future archeologists have something to dig up again
                      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Colon
                        Incompetence is not an excuse. (even though this administration seems to have different ideas about it)
                        Of course it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
                          and yet another layer is added to the heap. At this point they ought to just leave the base there, someday archaeologists will study the occupation of Iraq.
                          Finally, someone with a little prespective
                          Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Originally posted by Bkeela
                            It's news like this that makes news of US war casualties all the sweeter.
                            Another person with ****ed up perspectives
                            Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel

My point was that you picked two places that a very minute portion of the US citizenry care about, much less have heard of.
                              No your point was to insult and not and bring anything to the conversation .

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij
                                ...not enough to cause as much out pouring of emotion that caused Trajanus to fall into an elipetic fit. Perhaps the priorties of people are a bit skewed. Just like the Taliban blowing up the budda statues. It was sad but not really something I'll lose sleep over.

WTF? Places like these are our heritage. We wouldn't be here if it weren't for them. I have only one word for this... Barbarians

Oh, and thank you BD for another wonderful post. Keep it up **
                                Your so funny

Comment

Working...
                                X