US Troops Destroy Babylon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by beingofone

3- No I just grow tired of hearing all the propaganda spewed out by almost all news media that brainwashes the little guppies into believing that simply because the US is a superpower they are evil. That the intentions of the US are always suspect and they hide ulterior motives.
    Every policy should be apposed because it is US policy.
    You are being naive if you think that the "intentions" of the US government were to promote "freedom" and "democracy" in the Middle East...
    I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

3- [...] That the intentions of the US are always suspect and they hide ulterior motives.
      Could you tell me of any country whose intentions are NOT always suspect?
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex

You are being naive if you think that the "intentions" of the US government were to promote "freedom" and "democracy" in the Middle East...
        I am not saying the US interests are totally altruistic. Of course greed is a factor. I am just saying the US is not the evil empire that desires world domination like it has been painted.
        And you are being naive if you think the backlash by the opposition is to secure the best interests of the people of Iraq and world stability. The other governments could no longer trade with the Hussein government for fat oil contracts.

Oh but they didn`t experience the twin towers did they?
        You have made peace with the evil Wheredehekowi tribe-we demand you tell us if they are a tribe that is playing this scenario.
        We also agree not to crush you, if you teach us the tech of warp drive and mental telepathy and give 10 trinkets

Comment

• Sometimes, it is good to have new posters to remind us what the topics looked like back in early 2003
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiffor

Could you tell me of any country whose intentions are NOT always suspect?
            No not a single one. That is a very good point.

I would say the US government is no worse than any other government. I believe the US should be held to a higher standard because of the claims made to freedom and justice and they do wield an incredible amount of power.

The point is they have been more honorable then most. So if you want to bash governments then start with your own.

Sometimes, it is good to have new posters to remind us what the topics looked like back in early 2003
            Oh did you know someone in the twin towers like I did?
            You have made peace with the evil Wheredehekowi tribe-we demand you tell us if they are a tribe that is playing this scenario.
            We also agree not to crush you, if you teach us the tech of warp drive and mental telepathy and give 10 trinkets

Comment

I would say the US government is no worse than any other government. I believe the US should be held to a higher standard because of the claims made to freedom and justice and they do wield an incredible amount of power.

The point is they have been more honorable then most. So if you want to bash governments then start with your own.

Don't worry, I do.
              But there is a reason why the US is bashed, rather than, say, Vanuatu. The US is the world's hyperpower right now. The decisions taken by the US can affect the whole world, so it's pretty normal we're interested about it, and that we worry about it.
              The day China becomes the top dog, be assured that there will be many worries about China's international power (especially since China is likely to have a worse behaviour than the US). And the average Chinese will see it as "China bashing".

Nope, but thanks for furthering my point. Here is what the average pro-Bush American did in early 2003 here:
              1. Ridicule the French. It has nothing to do with the topic, but it always feel good
              2. Explain that the US is vulnerable, as shown by Sept. 11, and that's why Saddam, that great threat, must be dealt with before killing more Americans. edit: Use emotional appeals to Sept. 11 to make your point.
              3. Fling mud at whatever it is that opposed the war in Iraq. The mud doesn't necessarily have to be connected to Iraq or diplomacy in any way.

Comment

• 1. Ridicule the French. It has nothing to do with the topic, but it always feel good

when in doubt, laugh at the French for losing WWII

Comment

Originally posted by beingofone

Don't worry, I do.
                  But there is a reason why the US is bashed, rather than, say, Vanuatu. The US is the world's hyperpower right now. The decisions taken by the US can affect the whole world, so it's pretty normal we're interested about it, and that we worry about it.
                  The day China becomes the top dog, be assured that there will be many worries about China's international power (especially since China is likely to have a worse behaviour than the US). And the average Chinese will see it as "China bashing".

Nope, but thanks for furthering my point. Here is what the average pro-Bush American did in early 2003 here:
                  1. Ridicule the French. It has nothing to do with the topic, but it always feel good
                  2. Explain that the US is vulnerable, as shown by Sept. 11, and that's why Saddam, that great threat, must be dealt with before killing more Americans. edit: Use emotional appeals to Sept. 11 to make your point.
                  3. Fling mud at whatever it is that opposed the war in Iraq. The mud doesn't necessarily have to be connected to Iraq or diplomacy in any way.
                  If you are saying the United States should be held to a much higher standard then the rest of the world I agree with you.

The rest of your post is just rabbit trails.

Do you believe we were attacked Sept. 11th ? Was it reality or imagination?

Comment

• Originally posted by child of Thor
                    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4185205.stm - its all in black+white, so dont act too surprised. Your just going to have to accept that you are no longer on the side of Luke Skywalker and Ben Kenobi - Darth Vader and storm Troopers are what you've become
                    I read the article you linked to, and it simply added another dab of paint to the human mosaic I've been putting together since adulthood. The mosaic is mostly dark, evil, with maybe a few grays thrown in to break up the monotony. On the periphery, though, there are a few lighter colors; oranges, golds, blues ... that sort of stuff.

It's all that keeps my faith in humanity alive. And thank God for that because, right now, I have rather negative feelings toward most of the Western and Northern hemispheres of this world.

Gatekeeper
                    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

• ^^^To clarify:

1. I'd like to rip the head off anyone who thinks Bush is good for America.

2. I'd like to rip the head off anyone who thinks America is nothing more than some evil empire.

3. Unfortunately, that'd leave most of humanity headless, which wouldn't get us anywhere. So I'm going to just sit back and stew for four more years and look in the nooks and crannies of the human home for a few more dabs of blue and gold paint.

Gatekeeper

(It's the head cold speaking, really.)
                      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

How is that related to this topic?
                        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

The point is they have been more honorable then most.
                          Did you miss all those wars, invasions, covert interventions, and assorted other nasty operations that was carried out by the US of A after WWII?
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

If you are saying the United States should be held to a much higher standard then the rest of the world I agree with you.
                            That's not what I said. I said it was normal that the US was under a closer scrutiny than any other country in the world, considering the US is the hyperpower.

I must have missed something, but how does it relate to the point I was making? (specifically: that your debating style is reminiscent of what we saw here in early 2003).

Comment

• You mean he hasn't been beat down yet?
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

While I find the news sad, I'm not too much appaled by it. Babylon has been destroyed plenty of times. It's very likely that almost all of its tresures and of its historical hints have been lost to destruction and pillage; the archeologists of today have but traces of what Babylon could have offered if it hadn't been repeatedly destroyed. I don't think the American damage on Babylon will significantly raise the humongous losses the city has already experienced.

What saddens me is not that a military force is further damaging a world heritage site. What really saddens me is that I thought we, in the developed countries, evolved to the point of really valuing our heritage, and really understanding the importance of keeping it for future generations. It's really sad to see we continue not to care about it
                                I was thinking about responding to some of the bunch of moronic imbeciles who have posted in this thread, but this post seems docile and to the point.
                                A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Working...
                                X