X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teachers take a stand against anti-evolution teaching order

Dover teachers refuse to read antievolution disclaimer
    by Nick Matzke

According to the York Daily Record (Joseph Maldonado, "Dover teachers want out," January 7, 2005), eight science teachers at Dover Senior High School have refused to implement the "intelligent design" and "gaps/problems" policy mandated by the Dover Area School Board. On January 6, 2005, the teachers sent a letter to the district superintendent, Dr. Richard Nilsen, indicating their refusal to read a verbal disclaimer, which over four paragraphs states that evolution is a "Theory...not a fact," that "Gaps in the Theory exist for which there is no evidence," and that "intelligent design" is a valid scientific alternative. The disclaimer refers students to the supplementary intelligent design textbook Of Pandas and People (see the extensive NCSE Resources page on Pandas). The admistration is allowing students to "opt-out" of the lesson, therefore the science teachers stated that they also wished to "opt-out."

The teacher request is based entirely on professional grounds as laid out in Pennsylvania's Code of Professional Practice and Conduct for Educators. The teachers state that "intelligent design" and Of Pandas and People are not good science and conclude that teaching intelligent design would violate their professional standards.

On January 7, 2005, the administration for the Dover Area School District agreed to the teachers' request. According to an Associated Press story, the disclaimer will be read by school district administrators rather than teachers. The story quotes Richard Thompson, president of the Thomas More Law Center and chief counsel for the school district. He said, "The Dover faculty have no right to opt out of a legal directive....Having said that, because there is pending litigation ... we are going to accommodate their request."

The letter from Dover science teachers has been made public and is reproduced below.

To: Dr. Richard Nilsen

Jennifer Miller
    Robert Linker
    Robert Eshbach
    Leslie Prall
    Brian Bahn
    David Taylor
    Vickie Davis

Date: January 6, 2005

Re: Reading Statement on Intelligent Design

We have individually reviewed the statement you presented yesterday for presentation to our students at the beginning of the Biology unit dealing with evolution. You have indicated that students may "opt-out" of this portion of the class and that they will be excused and monitored by an administrator. We respectfully exercise our right to "opt-out" of the statement portion of the class. We will relinquish the classroom to an administrator and we will monitor our own students. This request is based upon our considered opinion that reading the statement violates our responsibilities as professional educators as set forth in the Code of Professional Practice and Conduct for Educators promulgated by the Professional Standards and Practices Commission and found at 22 Pa. Code section 235.1 et.seq. As noted in the introductory paragraph of the Code, section 235.2 (a): "Generally, the responsibility for professional conduct rests with the individual professional educator." Further, the Code provides in section 235.2 (b): "This chapter makes explicit the values of the education profession. When individuals become educators in this Commonwealth, they make a moral commitment to uphold these values."

Central to the teaching act and our ethical obligation is the solemn responsibility to teach the truth. Section 235.10 (2) guides our relationships with students and provides that "The professional educator may not Knowingly and intentionally misrepresent subject matter or curriculum."

INTELLIGENT DESIGN IS NOT SCIENCE. INTELLIGENT DESIGN IS NOT BIOLOGY. INTELLIGENT DESIGN IS NOT AN ACCEPTED SCIENTIFIC THEORY.

I believe that if I as the classroom teacher read the required statement, my students will inevitably (and understandably) believe that Intelligent Design is a valid scientific theory, perhaps on par with the theory of evolution. That is not true. To refer the students to "Of Pandas and People" as if it is a scientific resource breaches my ethical obligation to provide them with scientific knowledge that is supported by recognized scientific proof or theory.

Reading the statement places us in violation of the following ethical obligations. Section 235.3 of the Code requires Professional educators to develop "sound educational policy" and obligates us "to implement that policy." Section 235.3 (b) makes it explicit that "Professional educators recognize their primary responsibility to the student and the development of the student's potential. Central to that development is the professional educator's valuing the pursuit of truth; devotion to excellence; acquisition of knowledge; and democratic principles." The same section goes on to provide: "Educators encourage and support the use of resources that best serve the interests and needs of students. Within the context of professional experience, the educator and the student together explore the challenge and the dignity of the human experience." Section 235.4 (b) (2) provides: "Professional educators shall be prepared, and legally certified, in their areas of assignment. Educators may not be assigned or willingly accept assignments they are not certified to fulfill." Section 235.5(b) (8) provides: "Professional educators shall be open-minded, knowledgeable and use appropriate judgement and communication skills when responding to an issue within the educational environment." Section 235.4 (b) (10) provides: "Professional educators shall exert reasonable effort to protect the student from conditions which interfere with learning or are harmful to the student's health and safety."

Pennsylvanians concerned about the antievolution policy passed by the Dover Area School Board are encouraged to contact Nick Matzke (matzkeATncseweb.org).
    Articles

Maldonado, Joseph (2005). "Dover teachers want out." York Daily Record, January 7, 2005.

Raffaele, Martha (2005). "District Loosens 'Intelligent Design' Rule." Associated Press, January 7, 2005.

Dover Area School District (2004). Press Release for Biology Curriculum. December 14, 2004.

Dover Area School District (2004). Biology Curriculum (pdf format). November 2004.

Finally, some teachers have the balls to stand up against bad pseudoscience. Sadly, a lot of good it will do, since the statements will still get read by someone else.

But it's a start, at least.

Wikipedia link for anyone needing a primer on intelligent design.

Finally, some teachers have the balls to stand up against bad pseudoscience.
    Unlike all those psyche teachers
    Monkey!!!

Comment

On a related note, 200 Wisconsin pastors signed a letter decrying a similar measure adopted in Grantsburg:

Even theologians know that teaching ID in science courses is a mistake.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Re: Teachers take a stand against anti-evolution teaching order

Originally posted by ixnay
        INTELLIGENT DESIGN IS NOT SCIENCE. INTELLIGENT DESIGN IS NOT BIOLOGY. INTELLIGENT DESIGN IS NOT AN ACCEPTED SCIENTIFIC THEORY.

Comment

Damn liberal teachers. Burn them.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Re: Teachers take a stand against anti-evolution teaching order

Originally posted by ixnay
            I believe that if I as the classroom teacher read the required statement, my students will inevitably (and understandably) believe that Intelligent Design is a valid scientific theory, perhaps on par with the theory of evolution.
            This statement made me laugh. So if teachers even mention Intelligent Design, then , students might actually believe in it. OH MY!!! We can't have students questioning evolution.
            'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
            G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

In favour of teaching Holocaust Denial in history classes Diplomat? And no, not in the "Nazis try to distort history by saying the Holocaust never happened" manner. You could have the teachers say how some people believe the Holocaust is exaggeratd or invented, and this is a perfectly valid historical interpertation.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsie
                In favour of teaching Holocaust Denial in history classes Diplomat? And no, not in the "Nazis try to distort history by saying the Holocaust never happened" manner. You could have the teachers say how some people believe the Holocaust is exaggeratd or invented, and this is a perfectly valid historical interpertation.
                I'd teach that some people incorrectly believe that the Holocaust never happened. And I could offer proof that the Holocaust did happen.

Why not tell students about both ID and evolution, and present your evidence to support evolution?

The fact is that evolutionists are afraid that people will reject evolution.

People need to know that ID is not creationism. ID is simply the theory that the complexity and order we observe in nature is the result of intelligence. ID does not say the intelligence is God or what the intelligence is.
                'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

I'm so happy don't live in a red state.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                    I'm so happy don't live in a red state.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I'd teach that some people incorrectly believe that the Holocaust never happened. And I could offer proof that the Holocaust did happen.

OMFG EVOLUTION = NAZI HOLACOST!
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by The diplomat
                        Why not tell students about both ID and evolution, and present your evidence to support evolution?
                        What's there to tell about ID? "Some people believe in the god of the gaps." That about sums up ID right there.

In my modern physics class we learned about phlogistan (and the problems with phlogistan) just for the historical perspective, but since ID is a "new" idea it doesn't even serve any historical value. In addition, we learned about phlogistan for the historical perspective on scientific theories -- ID and creationism are not scientific theories, and shouldn't be discussed in a science class.
                        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by The diplomat
                          Because there is absolutely ZERO evidence for creationism. Calling creationism "Intelligent Design" is just another attempt to repackage a failed religious ideology and pretend it isn't a religious ideology.

The fact is that evolutionists are afraid that people will reject evolution.
                          Not at all. Instead those of us who are trained scientists believe that science classes should be based upon SCIENCE not religious ideology.

People need to know that ID is not creationism.
                          People need to understand that creationism has been laughed out of the scientific community over a century ago and Intelligent Design is just another attempt by religious extremists to resurrect this failed ideology.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

This is occuring in Dover Penn, not in a 'red state'.

I wonder if its teachers against teaching creationism in a science class (which I would also oppose), or teachers against creationism (period) ?
                            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Why is this discussion taking place at all, in 2005? Wasn't this issue taken care of in 1850 or something?
                              So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Working...
                              X