Gang Member To Be Tried As Terrorist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gang Member To Be Tried As Terrorist

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Every time Lourdes Morales watches the TV news and sees a story on terrorism, she weeps.

Family members have stopped trying to console her, but they, too, cannot understand why Edgar Morales, the family's youngest son, will see the new year arrive in prison where he is waiting to be tried as a terrorist.

"They are comparing my son to (Osama) bin Laden ... and all those people who used bombs and killed thousands of people at random," said Morales.

"They are making him look as if he was this cold-hearted person, and he is not like that."

Morales, 22, was indicted on murder and other charges as acts of terror in May, along with 18 other members of the St. James Boys Gang, a Mexican and Mexican-American street gang.

Morales faces the most serious charge of second-degree murder as a terrorist act. A New York grand jury returned the charges against him in connection with the shooting death of 10-year-old Melanie Mendez, who died from gunshot wounds two years earlier.

Morales plans to plead innocent, said his attorney, Lewis Alperin. No date has yet been set for his trial.

Morales is the first gang member in New York to be indicted under the state's terrorism statute, which became law shortly after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

If the charges did not include the terrorism stipulation, he would face a sentence of 25 years to life if found guilty. With the stipulation, he faces a mandatory sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole.

PROMOTING TERRORISM?

At least 33 states passed laws amending criminal codes related to acts of terrorism since the Sept. 11 attacks, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. Most changes focused on money laundering, cyberterrorism, agri-terrorism and supporting terrorist groups.

New York's use of the statute to prosecute gang-related crime has sparked disagreement among lawmakers who voted for the legislation.

A spokeswoman for state Sen. Michael Balboni, who sponsored the bill, said he does not mind that prosecutors have decided gang violence is a form of domestic terrorism and are using the statute to prosecute Morales.

"Gangs are a forum to promote terrorism," said Balboni spokeswoman Lisa Angerame. "Therefore, the anti-terrorism statue would be applicable against them, even if the original intent for this law was not exactly to prosecute them."

Others say the law is not being used as intended.

"It is not that I want to defend gangs," said state Rep. Jeffrey Dinowitz. "But it should never be justifiable to use laws with purposes other than their original intent.

"We already have the appropriate laws to prosecute gang members for their crimes," he added.

The anti-terror law passed overwhelmingly in the New York Senate 53-1.

Bronx District Attorney Robert Johnson, who brought the charges against Morales, said the terrorism stipulation was justified.

"The obvious need for this statue is to protect society against acts of political terror," Johnson said in a statement. "However, the terror perpetrated by gangs, which all too often occurs on the streets of New York, also fits squarely within the scope of this statute."

The 70-count indictment said the gang members conspired to "intimidate or coerce a civilian population."

It included a long list of crimes cited as evidence they terrorized a city neighborhood, including allegations they harassed and robbed customers of a local restaurant, fired guns into a crowded park, shot a teenager in the face and slashed someone's throat.

Some residents say the law is being abused.

"We cannot compare gang violence with big scale terrorist attacks," said resident Miriam Medina.

Local store manager Lidia Chavez added: "Gang violence and terrorism are two different things."

But Eve Santana, owner of a bridal shop, said while maybe not on the scale of bin Laden, "of course they are terrorists."

"They do terrorize neighborhoods. Innocent bystanders die ... and they have to pay."

Appropriate application of the law, or an abuse?

As for myself,

I think it is kind of silly to charge gang members under terrorism laws. Yeah, gangs suck, but terrorism laws are meant to deal with only a specific group of people.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
      I think it is kind of silly to charge gang members under terrorism laws. Yeah, gangs suck, but terrorism laws are meant to deal with only a specific group of people.
      How would you write such a law? It terrorism only if youre muslim, but not if youre Catholic? Its terrorism if you're shooting into the park to protest US foreign policy, but not if youre protesting the failure of local merchants to pay protection to your gang?
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Hmm, tough one.
        I think the reason people don't really see them as 'terrorists' is that they are used to them.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          Describe that specific group of people? What makes it terrorism? Killing people with suicide bombs instead of drive-bys?

Comment

Gangs have no specific political agenda. How can they be carrying out terrorism?
            If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
              Describe that specific group of people? What makes it terrorism? Killing people with suicide bombs instead of drive-bys?
              *points to GePap's post*

Terrorist laws are for those who use violence to advance political aims.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I think this is an obvious abuse of these laws. This is run of the mill criminality,for money, for status, and endless other personal reasons.

Chalk it up to an overzealous DA.

Comment

As defined by the FBI: "the unlawful use of force against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population or any segment thereof, in the furtherance of political or social objectives". This definition includes three elements: (1) Terrorist activities are illegal and involve the use of force. (2) The actions are intended to intimidate or coerce. (3) The actions are committed in support of political or social objectives.

Comment

Yes, what is the gang's "political or social agenda"?

That's my point, the point.

Comment

Did the spoweswoman actually say "anti-terrorism statue"?

Gangs promote lawlessness by their very existence, which could be regarded as a social objective.

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I'd say that gangs and extortion rackets are definitely terrorist in nature. The laws are too tough.
                        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Most gangs maitain quite a bit of "social agenda." Usually it is to protect themselves or their neighborhoods against racism, corrupt cops, etc. I don't think they do much of this, but most claim too.

Mobs say this alot too.

"The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

nm

Comment

nm

Comment

Working...
                              X