No announcement yet.

Gamer buys virtual Island for real $

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, this reminds me a lot of Pokemon cards.

Comment

In the last thread about a similar issue, Skanky told us of one of his friend who made 60,000 $ a year as he sold Diablo2 items found by his bots on E-Bay.
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

The question is, should he have to pay the bots fair compensation for the social value of their labor

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
            The question is, should he have to pay the bots fair compensation for the social value of their labor
            They're pure capital.
            As long as he does whatever little job there is to be done (like putting the items on e-bay and arrangeing the meetings with customers), he should get all the money his very small job produces.

Maybe he's the guy who invented the machine that makes thousands of dollars when you press a button
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

No, that's the printing press

Comment

Exploited bots of the world unite!
                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

It's only virtual social value.
                  I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                  - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Notice that the libertarian economists have not created one of these virtual economies to compare communism to free market capitalism. They must be still trying to find a way to make it work for the free market.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP

How on earth did that come up?
                      Well, there is a rather simple explanation what's the connection, but generally, for me, posting "libertarianism " is great, reason or no reason.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Yea, this might work out for the guy, but if the game makers decide to create 40 islands like his and sell them for cheaper, he's powerless to stop them.
                        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Jaguar is right, you know. The game makers may decide that it costs them nothing to actually form a new island, so they'll try to maximise profits, leading to a tumble in real-estate prices in "entropia". Note that by "tumble" I mean that prices will fall as much as 70-80%.

Kidicious: market economies are naturally in an advantage in this game, since these games are about adventure, personal freedom, and the complete lack of interaction with females.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
                            Yea, this might work out for the guy, but if the game makers decide to create 40 islands like his and sell them for cheaper, he's powerless to stop them.
                            He could always strap explosives to his chest and visit their offices.
                            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                              and the complete lack of interaction with females.

You'll probably find more females playing MMORPGs than any other genre of game.

Still predominately male, but not nearly as much so as games like, say, civilization (and let's not even mention the message boards that are dedicated to it )
                              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

That's true, however, I don't spend entire days playing civ.
                                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                                X