The torture thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The torture thread!

I have decided that forcing children to wear shoes is torture so I will now run around writting articles and posting threads declaring that all the countries of the first and second world are torturing their children. I realize that international laws do not back up my basesless claims but I shall never the less insist on calling every parent who makes their children wear shoes a torturer.

DOWN WITH THE TORTURERS!
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Gee, that sounds familiar. Where could I have heard similar logic being used before?

Comment

The clarification post was uncalled for.
      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

my precciiiiiiooooouusssssssssssssssssss
        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Not reading the post, but let me gues:
          Who defines what torutre is? What is "a bit beating"?...
          "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
          "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Does the Second World exist anymore? I thought it was the Developed and the Developing nations these days.
            Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
            -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Torture
              Unpatriotic hippies opposing it

Comment

Torture

Redefining torture to be what ever you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
                  Does the Second World exist anymore? I thought it was the Developed and the Developing nations these days.
                  China, North Korea, Cuba, Loas, Vietnam?

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III
                    Not reading the post, but let me gues:
                    Who defines what torutre is? What is "a bit beating"?...
                    Way off. But way to go. Don't listen to anyone else bury your head in the sand and pretend that your view is the only view. Political bias is great because it means there is no need to logically argue anything.

Comment

You want me to report my quotations of the Geneva convention here?
                      Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Anyways here all al the official answers:

unhchr.ch is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, unhchr.ch has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                        Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Originally posted by laurentius
                          You want me to report my quotations of the Geneva convention here?
                          Nope, please allow me.

Part 1 article 1, 2, & 3 of the 3rd Geneva convention in 1949 states that the Geneva Convention applies during all times of declared war or armed conflict further more the Geneva Convention and all duly ratified subsequent conventions (the only ones duly ratified are the various subsequent Geneva and Hague conventions) make up the supreme law of war which take precedence over all other treaties, proclamations, agreements, or national laws. That means that in times of war or armed conflict the Geneva & Hague conventions are the supreme international law concerning the rights and responsibilities of warring parties.

Ok, that is clear enough. The Geneva Convention is the supreme law of war and defines all conduct as legal or illegal. Let us continue.

Part 3 defines who is a prisoner of war and who is an unlawful combatant. It also expressly excludes all unlawful combatants from any and all protections afforded by the Geneva and Hague Conventions. This was to reward people who followed the laws of war and to punish those persons who broke the laws of war. The big condition associated with Taliban and Al Qaeda fighters is that they do not wear internationally recognized military uniforms while conducting military operations; doing so is an express condition of being considered a lawful combatant. Since unlawful combatants are expressly excluded from the protections of the Geneva Convention, and the Geneva Convention is the internationally recognized supreme law of war, thus it is perfectly legal to line unlawful combatants up against a wall and have them shot. The US has generously opted to waive this right and instead elects to intern these unlawful combatants for the duration of armed hostilities.

The Geneva Convention defines torture as the undue and purposeful infliction of physical or mental anguish upon prisoners without necessary cause or for the enjoyment of captors. Further more use of necessary restraints and blindfolding are authorized to prevent the discovery of military secrets as is the use of solitary confinement to punish prisoners.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but the UN Commision on Human Rights falls under the definition of other "treaties, proclamations, agreements, or national laws" so the Geneva Convention should take precedence during times of war or armed conflict.

After all every signatory power has agreed that the Geneva and Hague Conventions are the "Supreme" law of war and that when in conflict with other "treaties, proclamations, agreements, or national laws" the GC should take precedence.

Does anyone doubt that the wars in Iraq or Afghanistan fall under the definition of "wars or armed conflicts"?

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
                              The Second World was the Soviet Bloc. It doesn't exist anymore.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                              X