No announcement yet.

Fascist or Republican?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ozzy: Do you know what Ecce Homo is? It's a book where Nietzsche looks at himself and analyzes himself. The narcisstic chapter titles are necessary, for everyone (well, every non depressed person) believes himself to be wise or clever, or writing good books. Most people don't want to seem to be narcisstic, even though it is normal. Nietzsche says forget that.

And in the end, Ecce Homo is written for those that hate him and is his story of why they should not hate him.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by GePap
      See, perfect example- that is completely right.
      Hehe, actually just a few lines down he says "Perhaps I am a buffoon."

Right again.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• As "Why I am Destiny" begins:

I know my fate. One day my name will be associated with the memory of something tremendous—a crisis without equal on earth, the most profound collision of conscience, a decision that was conjured up against everything that had been believed, demanded, hallowed so far. I am no man, I am dynamite.— Yet for all that, there is nothing in me of a founder of a religion—religions are affairs of the rabble, I find it necessary to wash my hands after I have come into contact with religious people ... I want no "believers"; I think I am too malicious to believe in myself; I never speak to masses ... I have a terrible fear that one day I will be pronounced holy: you will guess why I publish this book before, it shall prevent people from doing mischief with me ... I do not want to be a holy man; sooner even a buffoon ... Perhaps I am a buffoon
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• it shall prevent people from doing mischief with me
          Oops, that didn't work so well.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• actually just a few lines down he says "Perhaps I am a buffoon."

That really proves your point that Nietzsche was trying to exhault himself .

Comment

• A moment of clarity.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arrian
                A moment of clarity.

-Arrian
                Yep, his entire lifetime was a moment of clarity in the history of humanity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                  Ozzy: Do you know what Ecce Homo is? It's a book where Nietzsche looks at himself and analyzes himself. The narcisstic chapter titles are necessary, for everyone (well, every non depressed person) believes himself to be wise or clever, or writing good books. Most people don't want to seem to be narcisstic, even though it is normal. Nietzsche says forget that.

And in the end, Ecce Homo is written for those that hate him and is his story of why they should not hate him.
                  See first he had to create a philosophy that could honor and praise himself. He did that in his earlier writings. In Ecce Homo, in case you didn't get it already, he made it explicit that the highest exemplar of his philosophy was... him.

Its funny actually. And actually, if you buy into his philosophy, you find he really is the exemplar of it. I do give the man great credit. He is the most committed, most successful, most intelligent narcissit the world has ever seen.

The fact he got everyone to buy into it... Priceless.
                  Last edited by OzzyKP; November 30, 2004, 14:09.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• He woulda made one helluva internet troll.

-Arrian

Comment

• You're not a republican nor a fascist.
                      You're a psycho

sorry, sorry, sorry
                      "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                      I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                      Middle East!

Comment

• In the Preface of Ecce Homo

The last thing I should promise would be to "improve" mankind. No new idols are erected by me; let the old ones learn what feet of clay mean. Overthrowing idols (my word for "ideals")—that comes closer to being part of my craft.

How is this philosophy praising himself now? If the aim is overthrowing idols, where does the right exemplar come in? Is the argument that he's the best at overthrowing idols? That's kind of a silly way to honor and praise yourself.

Though the genius of Ecce Homo, IMO, is that he writes like people would about their own ideas if they weren't so concerned by what others would think (the superego exercizing restraint). He is writing what most people feel down inside but are afraid to say outloud. He is writing in terms of the base desires (the id), and digging into the unconscious in his autobiography.
                        Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; November 30, 2004, 14:20.

Comment

• A testiment to himself.

Revaluation of all values: that is my formula for an act of supreme self-examination on the part of humanity, become flesh and genius in me. It is my fate that I have to be the first decent human being; that I know myself to stand in opposition to the mendaciousness of millennia.— I was the first to discover the truth by being the first to experience lies as lies—smelling them out.— My genius is in my nostrils.
                          I am by far the most terrible human being that has existed so far; this does not preclude the possibility that I shall be the most beneficial. I know the pleasure in destroying to a degree that accords with my powers to destroy—in both respects I obey my Dionysian nature which does not know how to separate doing No from saying Yes. I am the first immoralist: that makes me the annihilator par excellence.
                          There is yet another sense, however, in which I have chosen the word immoralist as a symbol and badge of honor for myself; I am proud of having this word which distinguishes me from the whole of humanity. Nobody yet has felt Christian morality to be beneath him: that requires a height, a view of distances, a hitherto altogether unheard-of psychological depth and profundity. Christian morality has been the Circe of all thinkers so far—they stood in her service.— Who before me climbed into the caverns from which the poisonous fumes of this type of ideal—slander of the world—are rising? Who even dared to suspect that they are caverns? Who among philosophers was a psychologist at all before me, and not rather the opposite, a "higher swindler" and "idealist"? There was no psychology at all before me.— To be the first here may be a curse; it is at any rate a destiny: for one is also the first to despise.— Nausea at man is my danger.

The uncovering of Christian morality is an event without parallel, a real catastrophe. He that is enlightened about that, is a force majeure, a destiny—he breaks the history of mankind in two. One lives before him, or one lives after him.

Comment

• gay Nazis and Jewish kapos

thread-jacking Speer's thread
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Equal rights

People who believe in equal rights for some and not others

Comment

• Five year olds should not have the right to vote or the equal privilege to drive automobiles.
                                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                                X