This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Georgia was named after King George of England, not after Georgia.

St. Petersburg, Florida, was, I assume, named after St. Peter, who was not a Russian. A Jew by birth, I beleive. Which means that for the first couple of hundred years of the existence of St. Petersburg, Russian, the original St. Peter's parents would not have been allowed to live in St. Petersburg, without special (and difficult to obtain) permits from the government, since that city was not in the Pale of Settlement. Ironic, no?

St. Petersberg was then renamed Petrograd, and later Leningrad, so one would think it has forfeited prior rights to the name.
    No way. It's our brand.

Comment

Originally posted by Serb

Yeah, sure. It was Khrushev's wise plan to present Crimea to Ukranian SSR in 1954 to assure Yanukovich's victory of 2004.
      I was thinking way earlier. Why were the eastern coal regions put in the original Ukrainian SSR? Stalins call, no? And no, obviously democratic elections were not envisioned, but ethnic balance in SSR's was still valued. Similarly wrt to Northern Kazakhstan, I believe.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

See, this whole city issue can be only understand through world-famous Russian logic.

1. Mother Russia is always oppressed. Always!

2. In case Mother Russia is not oppressed or oppresses someone else, see point 1.

(Incidentally, in this case, Mother Russia is legitimately oppressed, as St. Petersburg, FL, is indeed named after St. Petersburg, Russia. Damn those foreigners and their evil schemes to oppress Mother Russia!
        "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
        "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

It is not. It's called civilization break-up point. It was too damn important issue for Ukranians and increased turnout is not surprising.
          Well, it's either that or fraud. Or maybe a combination

But once again, isn't it suspicious that Yushenko won election in western regions with 92- 93,5% lead?

I guess so... Did he do significantly worse in polls and in the first round?
          CSPA

Comment

Georgia is Sakartvelo in Georgian.
            Maybe they don't even like being called Georgia.
            CSPA

Comment

Yes it was Sakartvelo that the ancestors chose to call their great country.
              Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                Serb:
                You know the Ukrainian political system better than I do (well, at least, your knowledge can't be worse than mine )

Who manages the elections? Are the elections managed and checked by all parties, are they directly managed by the State under partisan scrutiny? Are they managed by local authorities?
                The elections managed by Central Electoral Commission. It's an idependent institution of state. Checked? Looks like whole world except Africa sent their observers to check Ukranian elections. Your own article answers your questions.

To me, there is little doubt both sides were willing to cheat. In such a close and hateful election, it's a given. I don't think Yuschenko is any more honest than Yanukovich in this regard. I only wonder if Yuschenko and his goons were empowered to cheat, or if Yanukovich and his goons had the monopoly over cheating.
                1) It's pretty hard to cheat when there are so many observers at voting stations.
                2) Yanukovich had more media coverage, which may be not fair, but it is not a direct cheating with ballots. Yushenko simply bought voters. The scheme was simple. They gave a ballot with Yushenko name, then voter registrate, recive an empty ballot, throw ballot with Yushenko name into basket, give empty ballot to cheaters and recieve his reward. Then they fill this empty ballot with Yushenko name and everything repeats.
                You decide who had monoploy.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefu
                  See, this whole city issue can be only understand through world-famous Russian logic.

1. Mother Russia is always oppressed. Always!

2. In case Mother Russia is not oppressed or oppresses someone else, see point 1.

(Incidentally, in this case, Mother Russia is legitimately oppressed, as St. Petersburg, FL, is indeed named after St. Petersburg, Russia. Damn those foreigners and their evil schemes to oppress Mother Russia!
                  OMG J00 PWND RUSSIA!
                  Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                  Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

1) It's pretty hard to cheat when there are so many observers at voting stations.
                    "Observers for the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) said Sunday's run-off vote fell far short of European democratic norms.

The organisation, which also reported serious irregularities in the first round, said violations included a continuing "media bias" in favour of Mr Yanukovych and intimidation of observers and voters. "
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Interesting logic; there were observers at the elections, so the irregularities those self-same observers report cannot have taken place.
                      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

OMG J00 PWND RUSSIA!
                        M07H3R RU5514 15 4LW4Y5 PWND! 4LW4Y5!
                        "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                        "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

"Observers for the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) said Sunday's run-off vote fell far short of European democratic norms.

The organisation, which also reported serious irregularities in the first round, said violations included a continuing "media bias" in favour of Mr Yanukovych and intimidation of observers and voters. "
                          and intimidation of observers and voters.
                          Sounds lik BS. I didn't wait any other reaction from Europeans and Americans.
                          Anyhow, if such cases took place, it's a matter of investigation. They can bring their evidences into a court.
                          Tell me, in 2000 King George II proclaimed himself a new emeror fifty minutes after the voting stations were closed (that's what Yushenko did) or he wait untill all votes has been counted and then go to court?

Comment

and intimidation of observers and voters.
                            Sounds lik BS. I didn't wait any other reaction from Europeans and Americans.
                            Anyhow, if such cases took place, it's a matter of investigation. They can bring their evidences into a court.
                            Tell me, in 2000 King George II proclaimed himself a new emeror fifty minutes after the voting stations were closed (that's what Yushenko did) or he wait untill all votes has been counted and then go to court?
                            Welcome to the Serboverse.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                              Interesting logic; there were observers at the elections, so the irregularities those self-same observers report cannot have taken place.
                              What irregularities are you talking about? Give me exact example of such irregularities. How exactly Yanukovich could cheat?
                              So far I heard only - "OMG our candidate have lost, so elections were f*cked, no doubt about that".
                              If they have evidences they should bring them into Constitutional Court.
                              IT DOESN'T GIVE THEM RIGHT TO DEPOSE LEGITIMATELY ELECTED PRESIDENT. FIRST THEY SHOULD PROVE IN COURT ILLEGITIMACY OF ELECTIONS.

Is it really so hard to understand? Is it really so hard to imagine that they actually do not have evidences and CAN'T prove their victory in the court? Is it so hard to assume that they are just a bunch of whining loosers who can't accept their defeat and ready achive power through criminal, non-constitutional way?

Comment

I'm curious about a Virgin Mary icon that was shown as part of the demonstrations. Is there some particular religious angle to this election that hasn't been made explicit in the Western press?
                                Attached Files
                                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                                X