X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Some of us do, anyway.
    By the way Guev, in this instance the local oligarchs support the Putin candidate.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• I hope Ukranians will be able to truely gain independence from its bullying neighbour the Wannabe-USSR, Putins Russia.
      Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
        Re #2, that's an idiotic charge. He was bringing in sophisticated energy capital and expertise, something that Russia desparately needs right now. Economic nationalism is ridiculous.
        I know your consistent position on this matter and respect you for such consistency. You are right in what concerns capital and expertise. But one should attract these selectively, not to damage oneself in other respects. Russia recently sold an appreciable stake in an oil company to British Petroleum. However, that particular deal of Khodorkovsky was deemed unacceptable from the strategic point of view.

Besides, all the Russian government had to do was block the sale, if it was worried about the national security implications.
        I don't know the details. But apparently the international repercussions would be even worse in the course of action you suggest than they are now.

You see, that's where it's all bull****. The US has had regular elections for 400 years. It's not that our **** doesn't stink (there is fraud), but we know a rigged election when we see one.
        There may be a huge difference between internal and external policies. The US is certainly an example to follow in what concerns the culture of elections (internal matter). But this means nothing for the matter we are discussing now, namely the election in Ukraine (external matter). I am convinced the West cries of fraud so loudly mainly because their candidate lost.
        Freedom is just unawareness of being manipulated.

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark

If there was evidence of fraud on the part of Yuschenko, yes. Again, see Tunisia.
          OK, I may agree with you that the West would expess its concern. BUT (one big 'but') that would be it! It would never accept any anti-Yuschenko revolution in such a case, whereas now it inspires a revolution against the present regime.
          Freedom is just unawareness of being manipulated.

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark
            great powers in their foreign affairs are not required to treat all alike, democracies in their internal affairs are, if they are to be considered democracies.
            Ideally, yes. In real life no country does that. Those with connections to the rich and the powerful walk on water, while the rest, well, c'est la vie.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Well, it will be interesting to see how things play out in the Ukraine. I honestly think the only fair way to do this is to hold another elections as I don't see how results from an election so mired by fraud can be upheld.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Azazel

Oh, please, DanS.

Becareful of those skeletons in your own cupboard, DanS. They might fall out one of these days.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Ideally, yes. In real life no country does that. Those with connections to the rich and the powerful walk on water, while the rest, well, c'est la vie.

Sure. Favoritism is one thing. Arresting the man who is the principle bankroller of the opposition for crimes that are commited by others who go free is another. The issue is NOT the unfairness to the arrested man (life is unfair, as you rightly point out) its the impact on the political opposition - it is claimed that the impact on the opposition in Russia was large. Perhaps it was not.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by The Vagabond

OK, I may agree with you that the West would expess its concern. BUT (one big 'but') that would be it! It would never accept any anti-Yuschenko revolution in such a case, whereas now it inspires a revolution against the present regime.
                    Evidence that a single western state "inspired" this?

Comment

• The final results will be announced today. Or maybe not... they were supposed to do it 3 hours ago.
                      CSPA

Comment

• This is weird.

Was it poison or just spoiled sushi?

VIENNA, Austria - As Ukraine's popular opposition leader Viktor Yushchenko claimed victory yesterday in hotly contested presidential elections, mystery continued to shroud an appearance-altering illness that twice prompted him to check into a Vienna hospital.
                        Attached Files
                        Golfing since 67

Comment

• It looks to me like they are going to rerun the election. I think this is the right way to go.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Regarding the poisoning, before I saw the picture, I thought that it was a ridiculous claim by Yushchenko. But the picture comparison is pretty amazing. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Smells like KGB/FSB to me...
                              Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
                                It looks to me like they are going to rerun the election. I think this is the right way to go.
                                oh come on

being an american, don't say that after the 2000 elections for at least 100 years
                                "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Working...
                                X