Pacers-Pistons Brawl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacers-Pistons Brawl

All i can say is good lord. I've seen it in baseball, in hockey, and in football but i've never seen a bench clearing brawl in Basketball before...

From ESPN.com (emphasis mine)

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) -- Indiana's Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson charged into the stands and fought with fans in the final minute of their game against the Detroit Pistons on Friday night, and the brawl forced an early and ugly end to the Pacers' 97-82 win.

Officials stopped the game with 45.9 seconds remaining after pushing and shoving between the teams spilled into the stands and fans began throwing things at the players near the scorer's table.

"It's the ugliest thing I've seen as a coach or player," said Pistons coach Larry Brown, who was in the middle of the confrontation, trying to break it up.

After several minutes of players fighting with fans in the stands, the Pacers were pelted with beer, ice, and popcorn as they made their way to the locker room in one of the scariest brawls in an NBA game.

"I felt like I was fighting for my life out there," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "I'm sorry the game had to end this way."

The Palace announcer said the game was being stopped and pleaded with fans not to throw things.

It all started when Detroit's Ben Wallace went in for a layup and was fouled hard by Artest from behind.

Wallace wheeled around and pushed Artest in the face. The benches emptied and punches were thrown.

As the players continued shoving each other near center court and coaches tried to restore order, Artest sprawled out on his back on the scorer's table, looking relaxed.

Just when it appeared tempers had died down, Artest was struck by a full cup thrown from the stands. He jumped up, and charged into the stands, throwing punches as he climbed over seats.

Fans were punching back, and Jackson and another teammate joined Artest in the melee.

Detroit's Rasheed Wallace and Indiana's David Harrison were also in or near the stands.

As the crowd roared, drinks and debris showered the court and the Pacers players covered their heads as they hustled through the runway leading to the locker room.

A man in a Pistons jersey approached Artest on the court with fists raised, shouting at him. Artest punched him in the face, knocking the man to the floor before leaving the court. Artest was pulled away, and the fan charged back. O'Neal stepped in and punched the man.

"The NBA is withholding comment until it can review the incident," NBA spokesman Tim Frank said.

Pistons spokesman Tom Wilson said he did not believe anyone would be arrested.

Players from both teams left without comment.

Police prevented reporters from crossing the loading dock to get to Indiana's locker room or the area where the Pacers' bus was located.
    When the stars threw down their spears,
    and water'd heaven with their tears,
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Wow, that must have been something to see.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I'm keeping an eye out for Sprtscenter, I want to see it.

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

I was watching the game.

It was disgusting.

Disgusting by both the Pistons fans (of which I am one) and the Pacers in question.

Artest and Jackson were the ones throwing punches in the stands; the other Pacers and Pistons in the stands were trying to break things up.

I think beer sales at the Palace are going to have to be curtailed.
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

****ing awesome - I love it!
          Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
          Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

yeah those players charging into the stands and throwing punches at fans are real great.

Comment

Punching fans

What's so taboo about fans that they can't take a good haymaker every now and again?
              http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well, the fans were throwing **** - I mean, if you throw a cup of beer on my you better be ready for the ****ing thunder.
                Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Jermaine Oneal ****ed that fan up

WTF did he expect, stepping on the court like that.

Stupid fans get what they deserve.
                  "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

yeha but if you get hit with the beer it isn't deadly in that amount, in the shiznitttty cups they give it in, so bringing the "thunder" would be a stupid move, nad a moral failure, not that athletes seem to care too much about morals.
                    Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                    Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

It will have to be good to beat the time that the Boston Bruins attacked the New York Rangers' fans and Mike Milbury beat up that guy with his own shoe.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

ONE OF THE GREATEST FIGHTS EVER - THESE GUYS WERE DOING IT FOR REAL. THEY WERE HOT LIKE NO OTHER. IT WASNT THE USUAL PUSH AND SHOVE
                        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                          It will have to be good to beat the time that the Boston Bruins attacked the New York Rangers' fans and Mike Milbury beat up that guy with his own shoe.
                          Besides showing the Detroit fight a thousands times last night on ESPN, they also replayed many of the old fan fights... and that's one of the ones they showed... That one was BRUTAL!
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

yeha but if you get hit with the beer it isn't deadly in that amount, in the shiznitttty cups they give it in, so bringing the "thunder" would be a stupid move, nad a moral failure, not that athletes seem to care too much about morals.
                            I'm just saying, throw beer at me, and you'll get hit

Comment

rock'n'roll! this clip will be on the internet I'm sure.. have to find it..

They totally did the Hansons .. going to the audience fighting!

" He jumped up, and charged into the stands, throwing punches as he climbed over seats.

Fans were punching back, and Jackson and another teammate joined Artest in the melee."

.. man he took a risk going out like that.. he must of been pretty pissed off.
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                              X