World Community Grid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Community Grid

World Community Grid is a new computing grid being launched by IBM and United Devices, to harness the idle processor cycles of people's computers to do research that benefits humanity.

The current project is called the "Human Proteome Folding" project:
    The Human Proteome Folding project will provide scientists with data that predicts the shape of a very large number of human proteins. These predictions will give scientists the clues they need to identify the biological functions of individual proteins within the human body. With an understanding of how each protein affects human health, scientists can develop new cures for human diseases such as cancer, HIV/AIDS, SARS, and malaria.

More information is available here: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/pr...e_project.html

This does not affect your computer's performance, because it only uses processor cycles that are otherwise wasted on doing nothing.

I have created an Apolyton team...every little bit helps, so join today.

Step 1: Join (download, install, register): http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/jo.../join_now.html
    Step 2: Join the Apolyton team: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/te...Id=635XNJBR9N1
    Last edited by Asher; November 17, 2004, 14:20.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Looks good. I'll look at it from home this evening.
    What?

Comment

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Protein folding? Sounds messy...

I don't have spare CPU cycles. Honest.

However, should the opportunity arise. I'll book mark it for the future.
        Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
        "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

I joined
          "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
          "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
          "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
          "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Re: World Community Grid

Originally posted by Asher

United Devices has teamed up with IBM to make use of spare CPU cycles again, initially for protein folding research. It's similar to Folding@Home.

I've installed it on my work computer (P4 3.2GHz w/ HT & 1.5GB of RAM) and home computer (Athlon 64 3200+ w/ 1GB of RAM), so I'm generating some pretty big numbers fairly quick.

It's a cool thing to put cycles to use, especially if you're doing something useless like SETI@Home right now.

If a few people from here join, perhaps we can start a Poly team.

You are so way beyond being just a geek, it's tragic.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I have 500Mhz P3. Perhaps you want to use some of the "cycles" on my pocket calculator, instead?
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

I'm in.
                Asher: Couldn't find the 'poly team.
                Did you create it?
                What?

Comment

Remind me after my exam to look into this. I had folding@home on my system before.
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Created: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/te...Id=635XNJBR9N1

Comment

I'm only at 36% after 2 1/2 hours unfortunantly
                      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

there's no linux client... which precludes me from using my p4/3.2ghz ht 1g ram box at work... and it precludes me from using my p4/1.7ghz 768mb ram box at home half the time...

i will be able to use a p3/933mhz 384mb ram box at home, maybe...
                        B♭3

Comment

Joined!
                          Visit First Cultural Industries
                          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Just joined the team.
                            What?

Comment

Joined..
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                              X