No announcement yet.

Rugby - Running Out of Titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still too happy after the weekend to comment much.

Shall we just say I was pleasantly surprised?

After all Wasps needed bringing down a peg or two.
    It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

" ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Bad news about Larkham and Mortlock though.

And France? What can one say - not ideal preperation for the ABs.
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

Originally posted by Havak

Bad news about Larkham and Mortlock though.
          And Rathbone, not that he's had too many opportunities on this tour. I'd like to see Tuquiri move into 13 with Rogers taking his spot on the wing instead of, as is mooted, Rogers taking over 13 from Mortlock. Giteau and Rogers make a very skilful centre pairing but not all that powerful. Henry Paul has probably already cancelled his appointment with his shrink.

Anyway, hopefully we will provide a contest. Unlike the Boks. They were abysmal, worse than against Ireland. Quite amazing. Oh, and did your telecast feature the slo-mo of AJ Venter trying to tear the face off one of the England players? I think it could have been Corry.

And France? What can one say - not ideal preperation for the ABs.
          They're like the proverbial little girl with the curl. I'd also forgotten that the Pumas have quite a good record against them.
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

I am rather hoping it is another classic confrontation.

I suspect you will target Paul more effectively than the Boks did.

That rush defence is fine when it works - but it leaves gaps for the opposition all the time so I am amazed the Aussies and ABs couldn't exploit it more in the tri nations?

Venter was trying to gouge Grewcock (second row). Good thing too - Corry would have retaliated I suspect - it is a suspect area of his game.

So the Bok Blindside, who has had a shocking tour up north, is the players player of the year? And Jonno gets a 'merit award' whatever that is?

Comment

That rush defence is fine when it works - but it leaves gaps for the opposition all the time so I am amazed the Aussies and ABs couldn't exploit it more in the tri nations?
              We did in the first match and won. In the return match, we played like the proverbial busted a*seholes and handed them the match. The ABs blew it both times because Carlos and their stupid flat backline were sitting ducks for the rush defence. But, on this NH tour, they haven't been 50% of what they were earlier in the year. I have no idea why. Even their terrific back row has been a fizzer.

So the Bok Blindside, who has had a shocking tour up north, is the players player of the year? And Jonno gets a 'merit award' whatever that is?
              Obviously it was judged across the whole year, and he was terrific earlier in the year. Although whether it was good enough to earn the title is another matter. His only real stinkers have been on the NH tour. We had the same thing with David Lyons winning Wallaby player of the year and being dropped from the team. He'd earned all his points earlier in the year.

EDIT. I forgot about Henry Paul. I'm sure we will target him. If we can ever find him. I've never seen a centre play so far away from where he might normally be expected to be.

Comment

Thats certainly an area I would expect Tuqiri and Giteau to exploit (or is the other 'Tu' in the centre?).

For ourselves I think high balls behind Wendell has to be worth a try - and that front three looks like it could be given a torrid time in the scrum - Young, Paul and Baxter against Wiggy, Lardy and Whitey. Boys against Men?

Second row is interesting - Plank yet again and the Aussie-Bok against the Bath muppets. Can't call that.

Moody, Worseley and Corry againt George, Pitbull and Lyons looks a tasty match up indeed.

Flatley worked wonder in the RWC final for the Aussies - but is his distribution a match for Larkhams?

Comment

Thats certainly an area I would expect Tuqiri and Giteau to exploit (or is the other 'Tu' in the centre?).
                  Morgan Turinui is, indeed, starting at 13. The chap I tried to lease to you on the basis that only injuries would get him a gig! Quick, very strong, not as much of a crash-through type as Mortlock, runs the angles more. He will have a recent photo of H Paul in his pocket. And a GPS system to try to find him.

For ourselves I think high balls behind Wendell has to be worth a try -
                  Wendell will have plenty of cover from Larkham and Tuquiri. Please kick the ball to our back three.

and that front three looks like it could be given a torrid time in the scrum - Young, Paul and Baxter against Wiggy, Lardy and Whitey. Boys against Men?
                  Mmmm. Can't argue with that. Paul will match Lardy around the paddock and will throw better than him. You could throw better than him. I could throw better than him. I'm sure we'll be counting on White's ball-handling incompetence to give us plenty of possession.

Second row is interesting - Plank yet again and the Aussie-Bok against the Bath muppets. Can't call that.
                  Plank hurt his groin against Scotland. I assume he'll be all right. He will lift for the occasion. The Aussie-Bok has had a very quiet tour. Time he stepped up. The lineouts will depend on the throwing, I think.

Moody, Worseley and Corry againt George, Pitbull and Lyons looks a tasty match up indeed.
                  Could be the decider. Lyons simply has to put in 80 minutes, which he hasn't been doing. Or, if not 80, an exhausting 60 before he's replaced by fresh legs. You can be sure that Smith and Waugh will be keen to see how Hodgson performs under pressure.

Flatley worked wonder in the RWC final for the Aussies - but is his distribution a match for Larkhams?
                  No, he's not the freak that Larkham is, he's much more conventional, but he's polished. And he can score tries at Twickenham! Who did he run away from again? His problem at the moment is rustiness, having missed just about the whole year with the broken arm. His tour matches have been his only rugby since around March. I would also hope he will alternate with Giteau, letting Giteau's speed and elusiveness test the defence.

Bottom line: if the England forwards dominate, we're behind the eight ball, having to maximise what will be a fraction of the possession England will have. Still, we've done it before. Many times!

Comment

Sadly true. One of the most notable things about the June test was how damaging the Wallabies were in the last twenty when they started exceeding their traditional ratio of 30% possession of the pill.

Last time I saw Latham at fullback he had a nightmare. Fingers crossed he hasn't improved - THEN we will pop balls behind Wendell as Tuqiri cannot cover the back three alone.

One thing I haven't troubled the thread with this week is the sad news about our club. For reasons that may make sense to them (though no one else) the Tigers board has jumped into bed with the local Soccer side and proposes to ground share the Soccer stadium from next season. it has not gone down well

Comment

Sadly true. One of the most notable things about the June test was how damaging the Wallabies were in the last twenty when they started exceeding their traditional ratio of 30% possession of the pill.
                      We did it against the ABs and the Boks as well. We have to do it against any team with a half-decent front row. We're getting very good at it!

Oh, and the England management is now reffing the game before it starts? Telling the ref how to police the scrums? Mmmmmm?

Last time I saw Latham at fullback he had a nightmare. Fingers crossed he hasn't improved - THEN we will pop balls behind Wendell as Tuqiri cannot cover the back three alone.
                      He's been in fine form recently. Very safe in defence, very dangerous when he joins the line. Which probably only means he's due for a stinker.

One thing I haven't troubled the thread with this week is the sad news about our club. For reasons that may make sense to them (though no one else) the Tigers board has jumped into bed with the local Soccer side and proposes to ground share the Soccer stadium from next season. it has not gone down well
                      Yes, I read about it. I assumed you would mourn the passing of the old ground. Heavens, how many litres of beer have you spilled on those terraces over the years? Yes, I know, you don't waste a drop - let me have my literary allusions!

Comment

Don't forget that Robinson is an ex Bath man (player and coach). Of course he will play games before the match. Even though what he is saying is true enough - the Aussie scrum will get away with murder with an SH ref.

And it is the referee who has a lifetime free supply of Guinness I notice? Perhaps the worst referee in the world? Bodes well...

Comment

Poor old Havak. If I understood correctly the new ground doesn't serve drinks or something? Oh the horror.

Just as a matter of curiosity, can anybody (ie: Havak/Tamerlin) tell me what the local odds are this weekend on the 'SH visitors' versus your respective lot?

If I were to hazard a guess of my own I'd think that the AB's might just be slight favourites to beat France (Although there are apparently 3 French players recalled after last week's hiccup against the Puma's)?

England-Aus though is a little close to call, possibly favouring England slightly, given that a couple of the Wallabies are out injured?

I won't bother guessing Wales-Japan but the Boks-Scotland could be interesting if the Scots bear up. White has been suggesting the Scots are actually the favourites but somehow I'm not so sure that's 'entirely accurate', paticularly given his 'disappointment in the result against England', mentioned , basically, in the same sentence.
                          Well, not unless one were to concede Scotland as being the better of the two NH sides anyway.

Comment

England are about 6/4 on (4/6) with the online bookies here. Australia are about 6/4 against.

Comment

Heavens, how many litres of beer have you spilled on those terraces over the years?
                              I’m not sure I dare work it out.

Just to clarify the bar situation the Walkers Soccer Stadium has bars – but like all violence fueled soccer arena’s you are not able to see the pitch from any of them – the horror! Nor has the stadium been designed with the concept of getting drinks to your seats because you are not allowed to do that at soccer. This needs sorting well before any move as not being able to drink whilst watching the game will cause riots amongst Tigers fans.

I think my biggest problem is I do not trust City – and I do not like the rumours that they are insisting on primacy of tenure (i.e. if they want Saturdays then they get them) despite being junior financial partners.

I need to be careful here but two years ago City should have gone out of business – they were hugely in debt. They avoided it in a very ‘creative’ way and left a string of broken creditors in their wake. We cannot trust them – so I have to hope our board is manouvering so that we get the stadium when they inevitably go broke again (football in this country is financially out of control with nearly 100% of most clubs turnover going straight into players pockets).

If I were to hazard a guess of my own I'd think that the AB's might just be slight favourites to beat France (Although there are apparently 3 French players recalled after last week's hiccup against the Puma's)?
                              Amazingly enough they do seem to be – cannot imagine why. 10/11 on I have seen for them. Doesn’t matter – France are the better side if they turn up I think. But that is France for you – stuff the Aussies then lose to the Pumas in Marseille (and did I see someone trying to convince the world the Pumas are a top side after that?)

England-Aus though is a little close to call, possibly favouring England slightly, given that a couple of the Wallabies are out injured?
                              Cannot agree. Australia red hot favourites after the last meeting I would say. I can manoeuvre past Eddie to make us underdogs.

I have a feeling that if we can crock Gregan and Flatley early on they are screwed however – not much depth in the wattle?

I’m also not in Monday so I have recovery time if Finbars mob do turn us over at HQ (and victorious Wallabies have become an endangered species at HQ until now).

White is rating Scotland favourites because they beat the Boks last time they toured there (when the Boks were truly awful on the day). And they are again playing so badly they could lose it – but that is the key expression in that they will have to lose it rather than Scotland win it.

Call them the better side if you like – ‘new’ England has not played them yet so how could I argue?

Comment

What are the chances of the move from Welford Road actually happening? And why is the rugby club interested? Apart from a ground with a bigger capacity? I don't know either ground, but the complainers in your link seem to make some very good points.

Doesn’t matter – France are the better side if they turn up I think.
                                Yes. If. And I think they might.

(and did I see someone trying to convince the world the Pumas are a top side after that?)
                                Yes, but LDeCesares hasn't seen the Pumas as often as I have. They obviously played out of their boots and the French had one of their stinkers. The thing is, as I said to him, if the Pumas were given more of an opportunity in world rugby, they could become a legitimate power.

Cannot agree. Australia red hot favourites after the last meeting I would say. I can manoeuvre past Eddie to make us underdogs.
                                If your coach is refereeing, as he seems to want to, you should romp home.

Comment

Working...
                                X