Rugby - Running Out of Titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Havak

Wonder what the franchise will be called – Perth Possums?
    There are all sorts of competitions being run for a name. Naturally, your suggestion features prominently.

I just hope they aren’t playing in an Aussie rules stadium?
    Like you will be? Or the equivalent thereof. No fear. Randwick's home ground is like all the other clubs - a suburban oval. They're right on the beach at Coogee, just past Bondi. South-east of the CBD. Very pretty ground. Televised matches have the ocean in the background.

Do they? Shame on them! The RFU knows the Prawn sandwich brigade will pay for any old tat on match day. Did you know they make a Polo shirt for every Twickers fixture – wonder how well the Aussie one sold this year?
    They make a polo shirt for the oppo supporters? Mmmm. I suppose it would be a reasonable souvenir if Twickers is on it somewhere.

She is a very young 16 bless her. I can’t stand him myself so it’s unlikely I will pluck up courage to see that worthy movie.
    Look, one night when the doctor's told you to give the grog a miss, and there's nothing better to do, have a look at it. It's a very good film, and you wouldn't know it was Adam Sandler.

It will be very emotionally charged – we may be saying farewell to him and the ground on the same day. I strongly suspect that if we do win silverware he will indeed retire. And that worries me – because he is the very heart of the team. Where does the next talisman come from?
    That's the problem with legends. They retire eventually. A price is paid for relying on them.

Did you catch his pragmatic reply to the journalists who pressed him on the issue?
    Yes I did. Typical him. There's absolutely no hope he'll do the Lions tour. If he'd wanted to play on internationally, he would have. He's too sensible to do a Nose.

*edit* Checking I see that our last home league game of the season is against Wasps on April 30th. If we (hopefully) top the table after that game it will be out last homegame of the season - and Jonno's possible farewell. That would, I think, be pretty perfect.
    Except if Wasps win. He will have to play on again!
    " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
    "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Guilty as charged – I have to take this on the chin.

I should not lough though as I will have to find some presents for my son and my two nephews.

Damn, I really hate December.
      "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• I think you secretly love December?

Naturally, your suggestion features prominently.
        I have my fingers on the pulse of Aussie public opinion all right.

Very pretty ground. Televised matches have the ocean in the background.
        Good grief. That I could handle a season ticket for. The Walkers Stadium has a few fields and electricity pylons in the background. It is not quite the same.

They make a polo shirt for the oppo supporters? Mmmm.
        Oh they don’t intend them for the away supporters – but it is becoming more and more the case that the oppo are the only ones wanting to buy them. They do list the venue and date btw.

one night when the doctor's told you to give the grog a miss
        A whole night? That’s cruel! Still I suppose ‘Punch-Drunk Love’ should go on the list of things to do when sober.

That's the problem with legends. They retire eventually. A price is paid for relying on them.
        And it could be a huge price given the almost total reliance. It looks like Benny Kay is being groomed as the next skipper (leading the team tomorrow) and he might make a decent one – but he lacks the uncompromising solidity and the easy going nature.

And yes I am resigned to him not playing in NZ - although I suspect he may be with the party in some capacity regardless.

Except if Wasps win. He will have to play on again!
        Even on those grounds I could not stand a Wasps win.
        It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

I think you secretly love December?
          I agree there is something worse than Xmas, Saint Valentine's day!

A whole night? That’s cruel! Still I suppose ‘Punch-Drunk Love’ should go on the list of things to do when sober.
          I should look after this movie, it seems to be very good though the title is not very appealing to me. But I was feeling the same thing about American Beauty which proved to be a great movie.

More on-topic (for once):

Auch 12 - Stade Toulousain 21

Though Auch is the last team of the French Championship, winning here is not easy as the Auscitains have lost almost all their games in the last minutes with a very tight margin. The game has been played under a heavy rain that did not prevent the famous Cédric Heymans to score a try. The rest of the game was dominated by the Stade Toulousain forwards who logically scored a collective try.
          "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Perth Possums?
            Don't joke!
            If not the oppossum it'll doubtless be named after some other native rodent vermin - echidne's, jaba-somethings or bunyips ...

I just hope they aren’t playing in an Aussie rules stadium?
            Subiaco oval. For the first few years anyway until a new stadium is ready. And yes it is indeed an AFL stadium. Ugh.
            Don't know why they don't use the Waca quite frankly. Just heard this morning that the members board is thinking of turning it into a Park for 9 months of the year to expand it's usage and squeeze a few more drops of cash from the public.
            A cricket ground as a park? Daft? Not to the Waca board members it isn't.

Most recent speculation seems to be on Rathbone as captain and Kafer coming in as coach now that he's left the ZP.

[Edit: Wretched quote button. Couldn't see what the second bit of that post was responding to! ]
            Last edited by ravagon; December 19, 2004, 20:40.

Comment

• I'm yet to see the "Perth ravagons" on any list of suggested names. Probably afraid of scaring off the family demographic. And potential sponsors.
              " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
              "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

• The ravagons are native to Tz'Ravok, not WA, and, if you can get over the fact that they tend to resemble nothing inasmuch as a cross between a demon and a dragon and that they devour life force for sustenance, they make very good mascots!

Having a ravagon or two on the team wouldn't be a bad idea either - it'd serve as a haka in itself. I doubt there'd be too much of that 'backchat' from the officials either.
                Well, not from their immediate replacements anyway.

Comment

• I am not sure that Aussie Rules stadiums lend themselves to Rugger do they?

Love the idea of turning the Waca into a park though – it surely proves stupidity is a global problem?

I really hope Kafer does not sign – I would commend you to check his coaching record (Tigers two worst season ever when he was backs coach for us – two more of Saracens worst seasons ever when he was head coach there). The man has everything to prove.

A mini protest at Tigers on Saturday as he rested 10 first teamers and Glaws ran out 20-13 victors. You see the macth was not on the season tickets and everyone there had spent an average of £20 to see what cam across as a huge lack of commitment (it’s a tertiary competition but that is not the point). Of course all the usual apologists are plaguing the club forums telling us how Wells was totally right in everything he did and we should sign our houses over to the club if they asked etc. Chumps – being a supporter doesn’t require removal of the brain, negative opinions are allowed.

But being me I had a little think what I would do if I was taking a game seriously – and with seven minutes to go at 20-13 down with the following still available on the bench would I have used any of them? Back, White, Ellis, Deacon. Hmm yes I think I may have thrown them on and tried to actually win the game.

So specifically I don’t mind him running out the lads as they need game exposure. What bothers me is not using the bench to even try and save the game. Shame on you Tigers – taking the proverbial from fans pockets and disrespecting the cup to boot. I don’t blame those souls who walked out a few minutes early at all.

He better field his best side against Worcester on monday – I have booked my coach ticket and all day drinking session already (being the UK there are no rural trains two days after Xmas – perish the thought they actually run a service).

And Finbar – Eight test wins in a row now. Are England becoming a credible cricket side at long last?
                  It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

• In the same spirit I don't understand the behavior of the Club Sportif de Bourgoin Jailleu in France which is not really playing the H-Cup. They have even lost a home game against an Italian team by more than 30 points while scoring none. As far as I know there was only second rate players on the field and all their H-Cup games have been terrible so far... I remember that a few years ago the Sporting Union Agenais was harshly punished and was excluded from the H-Cup because they did not play a game fully against a Brittish team.

Comment

• They were indeed - IIRC they colluded with that visiting team to make sure they scored exactly enough tries to prevent another French side Progessing from the group? Bizarre.

Bourgoin are certainly in trouble in the same way - what they are doing has been noted and will be punished. After all they are essentially wasting a French slot in the draw - and if that is to be wasted other countries can certainly fill it if your countrymen cannot get their house in order.

Comment

They were indeed - IIRC they colluded with that visiting team to make sure they scored exactly enough tries to prevent another French side Progessing from the group? Bizarre.
                        Though SUA's behavior was reprehensible I can't imagine such a deal. But they have not played the game to win it and have in this way falsified the results of the pool.

Bourgoin are certainly in trouble in the same way - what they are doing has been noted and will be punished. After all they are essentially wasting a French slot in the draw - and if that is to be wasted other countries can certainly fill it if your countrymen cannot get their house in order.
                        What they are doing is against the very spirit of sport and the Game of Rugby in particular. The only thing that is pleading in their favor is that they have not played any of the H-Cup game and that in this way they are not influencing the results of the pool. They should be dealt with harshly should they decide to play only one game to bother another team.

Comment

I am not sure that Aussie Rules stadiums lend themselves to Rugger do they?
                          No, they're ovals. Some of them are big ones, meaning the pitch is marked out well inside the normal boundaries, meaning the crowd on the ovals' wings - their widest points - are a long way from the action.

Love the idea of turning the Waca into a park though – it surely proves stupidity is a global problem?
                          The WACA spent an absolute sh*tload of money upgrading the facilities without doing their sums properly. The ground is only really used for cricket and they're not even guaranteed a Test match every season. So now they're sitting on a white elephant and down the fiscal dunny. If you'll pardon the mixed-ish metaphor.

I really hope Kafer does not sign – I would commend you to check his coaching record (Tigers two worst season ever when he was backs coach for us – two more of Saracens worst seasons ever when he was head coach there). The man has everything to prove.
                          But didn't you only very recently defend his time at Saracens? No one has been able to turn the mob into a team? Anyway, I still doubt he'll get the gig, and his record in the NH will probably be the main reason.

So specifically I don’t mind him running out the lads as they need game exposure. What bothers me is not using the bench to even try and save the game. Shame on you Tigers – taking the proverbial from fans pockets and disrespecting the cup to boot. I don’t blame those souls who walked out a few minutes early at all.
                          I read the match reports. Utter arrogance. More fool the supporters who went along with it.

And Finbar – Eight test wins in a row now. Are England becoming a credible cricket side at long last?
                          You're looking like the only oppo at the moment. The Kiwis were hopeless and the Pakis are an embarrassment. Bear in mind, though, that we beat the Boks 5-1 last time. 3-0 here, and 2-1 backing up over there. I watched some of this week's match. Your attack is looking strong with Jones fit again to partner Harmison, but they're going to have to learn to put the ball on the spot each and every time. Or they'll be murdered. It bothers me that bods like Butcher are still in the line up. And Trescothic still hasn't acquired footwork. He will fail much more often than he succeeds against a topline attack.

Comment

• meaning the crowd on the ovals' wings - their widest points - are a long way from the action.
                            It’s a problem watching rugger – you need top be able to discern individual limbs.

I recall the Gabba (and I realise it is a cricket stadium) had this problem when they put rugger inside it.

So now they're sitting on a white elephant and down the fiscal dunny. If you'll pardon the mixed-ish metaphor.
                            Acutally I loved the mixed metaphor. Surely that is ripe for local or federal government to step in and get a bargain? I know Aussie government does not run shy of getting involved in sport like our mob do.

By the way – Amnesiac David Blunkett claiming he ‘did it all for the love of his son’ got the same positive reception from me that David Campese would speaking at my club. This from a man who claimed peaceful protestors at a USAF facility had ‘swords and cudgels’. They had a Kite. But I digress…

But didn't you only very recently defend his time at Saracens? No one has been able to turn the mob into a team?
                            I did – and you are correct. I was trying to be fairer to him given my own personal view is definitely coloured by his failure as backs coach for Tigers. I still think he is a bad move for a new S12 franchise trying to match the established franchises because I have heard terrible things about his inter-personal skills since his leaving Saracens.

I read the match reports. Utter arrogance. More fool the supporters who went along with it.
                            Tickets on Sale four weeks before the match. Team announced four days before. I have some sympathy with the stiffed fans – but then I was one.

You're looking like the only oppo at the moment
                            Oh the Aussies are well out in front still. It’s a good thing the next series is here I think – should make it more competitive.

I thought the second innings dismissal of Tres might catch your eye – no foot movement at all that I could see.

Yes why is Butcher there – his dismissal in the second was a very Gower type flash to a wide and low delivery, aka damn stupid. Key is still on probation for me – but Butch simply messes up too often.

I don’t know if you have caught any of it but Vaughan’s footwork also seems to be getting very lazy. Excellent skipper – but his batting is really suffering from it.

*edit* Graeme Bond, Sale Centre, has failed to recover from a serious neck injury and has therefore retired from rugger. Sorry to see him go - sure he was a pain to see in the oppo at times but he was a decent player.

Comment

• I like rugby.

Comment

• Then you are welcomed Devil's Advocate.

Just a note, don't speak about s***** (a strange game played by eleven penguins using a round ball), it is considered as being rude here.

Speaking about Cricket seems to be allowed but I must admit that nobody except Havak and Finbar understand what they are writing.

Be careful with Havak and Finbar, they can access the Internet from their office and thus have a lot of time to waste here, if you start a "talk" with them you would be well advised to have a lot of time and an unlimited access to the web.

Comment

Working...
                                X