scientists need to GET OVER IT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scientists need to GET OVER IT

We just watched a video in DNA Science, and I must say: yes, the atomic bomb killed people. Shut up and deal. We don't need to hear about the "ethical implications" every single frigging time you discover some new gene or whatever! I'm sick of their fetish with figuring out ways their research could cause millions of deaths or - god forbid - an ethical dilemma about genetic engineering. Just like the same dilemma last week.

Also, I think professional "bioethicists" are leeches and a complete waste of society's resources. They should be shot on sight. (This goes for any ethicist, for that matter; I don't need to pay someone to tell me what my ethics are, thank you very much.)

Yep, I want someone with that attitude messing around with genes, nuke material etc.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Calm down boy.

Comment

To be honest, I think the scientists mostly play to societal expectations in this regard. I don't think they privately care much if their latest toy will be a boon or a bane to humanity, as long as they the admiration of their peers for their cleverness (and the odd new research grant).

As for bioethicists, they preform a service for which there is a market, and don't (directly) hurt anyone. Leave them alone, you goddamn commie!
        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I strongly disagree. Scientist *do* need to keep an eye on how their research might be used. They *do* need to be concerned about its implications. Being aware helps them know wether they want to proceed or not as well as know what security measures need to be used.

In addition, ethicists are a benefit to society. The average ethicist thinks a lot more about morality than the average person, and society can benefit from that extra critical thinking.

Lastly, I find it a bit ironic that you say you don't want people telling you what your ethics are, but your stance is that you are saying scientists should have no concerns for the ethical implications of their research.

-Drachasor
          "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

We should make the same mistakes over and over and never learn from them. :b
            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

you just wait, someday scientists will create a chain reaction that annhilates all mater on this planet.

Comment

I think it's usually the rest of populance that's usually worried about the ethical implications of new technology. Most scientists are too involved with making stuff work to be concerned whether it will destroy the planet or not. However, when scientists become spokesmans and public figures, they usually have to bridge the gap with the rest of the populance and use ethical consideration of research to do so.
                ku eshte shpata eshte feja
                Where the Sword is, There lies religion

Comment

It's not the scientists, it's the video, it's producers, and the organization(s) who requested the video gets made who keep on putting the "ethical concerns" issues in these tapes.

And, it's a lot easier explaining good vs. bad via video than anything involving higher-order thinking (ala math, genetics, etc). Hence your "science video" tends not to be about... science.

Comment

Heard of UCS?
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Are you asking me?

If so, no (at least, not as the abbreviation).

Comment

Originally posted by Thucydides
                        I think it's usually the rest of populance that's usually worried about the ethical implications of new technology. Most scientists are too involved with making stuff work to be concerned whether it will destroy the planet or not. However, when scientists become spokesmans and public figures, they usually have to bridge the gap with the rest of the populance and use ethical consideration of research to do so.
                        Yep, that´s it.
                        In Germany for example it aren´t the scientists who are against stem cell research. In fact they would do it if they were allowed to.
                        It´s the public which doesn´t want this research to be performed.
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Ethics are a vital part of science. For exhibit a, see Edward teller.
                          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                          -Bokonon

Comment

John,

UCS is the Union of Concerned Scientists, the group that publicly criticised Bush earlier this year.

Originally posted by Ramo
                            Ethics are a vital part of science. For exhibit a, see Edward teller.
                            That's more an exhibit of lack of ethics.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Right.
                              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                              -Bokonon

Comment

Working...
                              X