No announcement yet.

Arafat Dead...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the same flu all those Soviet leaders kept getting.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

how many folk here remember the Franco deathwatch. And the SNL routine?
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Eli

The major headline on the Israeli news : "Arafat is still not dead".

Well, you would've also found it funny had you too sleeped through the "He's dead" rumor period.
        The "I'm not dead" scene from Monty Python's Holy Grail is going through my mind.

Comment

This reminds me of the scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail where the knight starts hacking people up at the wedding and then realizes it's all a mistake.

He's dead.

No, I'm not.

He's dying.

I think I might pull through

(stab) OK, now he's dead.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

'The death of Spanish dictator Francisco Franco during the first season of Saturday Night Live in 1975 served as the source of one of the first catch phrases from SNL to enter the general lexicon.

Franco lingered near death for weeks before dying. On slow news days, United States network television news casters sometimes noted that Franco was still alive, or not yet dead. The imminent death of Franco was a headline story on the NBC news for a number of weeks prior to his death on November 20.

After Franco's death, Chevy Chase, reader of the news on Saturday Night Live's comedic news segment Weekend Update, announced the dictator's death and read a quote from Richard Nixon praising Franco as a good friend of the United States; as an ironic counterpoint to this, a picture was displayed behind Chase, showing Franco standing alongside Adolf Hitler.

From that point on, Chase made it clear that SNL would get the last laugh at Franco's expense. "This breaking news just in", Chase would announce-- "Generalíssimo Francisco Franco is still dead!" The top story of the news segment for several weeks running was that Generalísimo Francisco Franco was still dead. Chase would repeat the story at the end of the news segment, aided by Garrett Morris, "head of the New York School for the Hard of Hearing", whose "aid" in repeating the story involved cupping his hands around his mouth and shouting the headline.

The phrase may owe something to "General Grant Still Dead", one of the examples of undesirable newspaper headlines in Headlines and Deadlines, a handbook for newspaper copy editors by Robert Garst and Theodore M. Bernstein. Another possible precedent is in an issue of National Lampoon from 1973 that began with a picture of Eisenhower waving, with the caption "Hi kids, I'm still dead!"'
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

You, the people who dance, are pure haters

Really, this guy was an old man, who had nearly no power anymore bar a symbolical one. And now you are dancing on his grave. This utter disrespect disgusts me :vomit:
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

"That parrot has ceased to be! It is a DEAD PARROT!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Israel recognized that Arafat did not directly control Hamas. They asked for EFFORT to crackdown on Hamas which never came. In fact the Israelis have accused Arafat of cooperating with Hamas in a game of good cop bad cop. Even if you dont believe that, its clear he never moved decisively against Hamas, even adjusting for his availble means to do so.
                  Which probably also was problematic,
                  as the terrorist Organizations have/had widespread influence in the palestinian Population
                  and Israel punished every bombing by attacking police Stations and other Locations of the provisionaly palestinian government,
                  thereby probably increasing the support for Hamas and the like, even amongst Arafat followers.

Well, I for my part doubt that the Israel/Palestinian Conflict could be solved without international troops in palestinian territory (Israel isn´t trustworthy in the eyes of many palestinians and palestinian Organizations, like their police are probably too much infiltrated by the terrorist organizations are probably, therefore only a third party could make real efforts towards stopping terrorism there [which aside from searching and arresting terrorists also keeps Israel from expanding their settlements within the westbank])
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                  Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                    his death is not important.

the real important question is where he will be buried.

I was thinking his body could be left in a desert and provide food for vultures.
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

Really, this guy was an old man, who had nearly no power anymore bar a symbolical one. And now you are dancing on his grave. This utter disrespect disgusts me :vomit:

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

I'm not sure what I prefer. The natural death that is much more beneficial for Israel, or the justice from seeing him survive the disease and finally die from Israeli bullets.
                        "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

The vomit smilie is a Counterglow smilie. By any chance do you ever go to Counterglow?
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

First Bush gets re-elected, and then Arafat dies? Am I in some right-winger's wet dream?

Comment

I wonder if some of the celebrants would dance on their own founders' graves for the terrorism they did (especially US and Israeli founders).
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Gibsie
                                First Bush gets re-elected, and then Arafat dies? Am I in some right-winger's wet dream?

Just do NOT lump me with the right-wingers just because I'm happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X