Moral Relativism: Good, bad...etc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moral Relativism: Good, bad...etc?

Well, I just thought I'd see what people think of Moral Relativism.
    I like it, Moral Relativism is GREAT!
    25.00%
    Argh, it is awful!
    37.50%
    I like it, but everyone's viewpoint on it is equally valid
    20.00%
    I dislike it, but everyone's viewpoint on it is equally valid
    2.50%
    I dislike it, and all different opinions are equally invalid
    10.00%
    I hear some sort of requisite banana option is required on all polls
    5.00%
    "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

It might be a bit unpleasant, but since Moral Absolutism is pretty incoherent its all that we've got...
    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Maybe a stupid question, but what exactly is moral relativism?
      justice is might

Comment

Originally posted by oedo
        Maybe a stupid question, but what exactly is moral relativism?
        That morals cannot be based on some transcendental "truth" more or less.
        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Moral relativism
          Utilitarianism
          "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
          "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Originally posted by Boshko

That morals cannot be based on some transcendental "truth" more or less.
            Well ok, that's fine for me. With some exceptions of course.
            justice is might

Comment

Originally posted by Stefu
              Moral relativism
              Utilitarianism
              Utilitarianism is fairly relativistic itself, how can something that mesures its results in something that subjective as "utils" not be?
              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Yep, moral absolutes are logically inconsistent.*

And everyone's viewpoints on it aren't equally valid.*

*Assuming that contradiction is logically invalid.
                "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                  Yep, moral absolutes are logically inconsistent.*

And everyone's viewpoints on it aren't equally valid.*

*Assuming that contradiction is logically invalid.
                  Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

This ethical code is particularly disgusting to me, seeing it in use.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Moral Relavism
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Moral Relativism is the concept that one culture's moral/ethical system isn't any more valid than any other cultures. More generally (and even more controversially) that one person's moral/ethical system isn't any more valid than anothers. In other words, moral systems are only true in regards to the group that holds it as true.

IMHO, it is full of crap, and I haven't met anyone that has ever really believed it.

Oh, and Utilitarianism is far from a Moral Relativism stance. The former holds that happiness is the absolute good, and hence one should try to increase happiness and decrease suffering for all as much as possible. That ain't relativism.

-Drachasor
                        "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

Utilitarianism certainly is not moral relativism, and I wouldn't even call moral relativism a valid ethical code.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                            Utilitarianism certainly is not moral relativism, and I wouldn't even call moral relativism a valid ethical code.
                            Indeed, it is more like an evaluation scheme for ethical codes: namely, one ethical code isn't any more valid than another.

-Drachasor

Comment

Moral Relativism

Moral Absolutism

Reasonableness

-Arrian
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                              X