Eliminate the Electoral College

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attached Files
    "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
    —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

• The Federal govern,ment has increased the rights of individuals by erroding the rights of states to oppress people in their own bounderies. The 14th ammendment has done more for individual freedoms than the first 10, because it was only with the 14th that the first ten became universal and not submit to the whim of state legislators.
      Not quite - before the amendment is applied against the state governments, it first has to be "incorporated". For example, free speech could still be violated by the states until the 1920 Gitlow vs. New York decision (IIRC).
      Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
      Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Floyd is correct, but left out an important point.. not ALL of the first 10 amendments are incorporated. 7 of the first 8 are (the 9th and 10th can't really be incorporated). The 2nd Amendment, to date, has not been. Though it should by the arguments for incorporation that the SCOTUS has made.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• MosesPresley's cartoon sums up why the EC sux!
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
          X