No announcement yet.

Eliminate the Electoral College

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ned, your Colorado argument shows why I think "strict contructionist" = idiot.

Oh, and the large population centers should dominate politics, THAT IS WHERE MOST OF THE PEOPLE LIVE! One person = one vote.

Comment

• Virginia was the biggest state in the Union at the time-yes, poor little Virginia getting dominated by bad, evil Massachussets.....
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by PLATO

Boston, Philadelphia, and New York were all population centers at the time. The Southern States were worried about these centers being able to dominate them politically...and they still are.
        New York, with maybe 50,000 people, was not set to dominate the national scene. Virginia was the largest state, population wise in the union. Most Virginians lived in small town and the countryside. Back then it wasn't rural against urban, it was big state against small state.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by PLATO

Funny you should say that. The founding fathers were much more into representation than democracy. I believe that our States should be fully democratic, but that our Union should be representative.
          Much of the compromises used to justify the undemocratic aspects of the US government were from the Southern States who wanted to protect slavery.

But it's nice to hear that you still support those measures.

Personally, I think we should rid ourselves of the electoral college. Each person's vote should count in a NATIONAL election.

Ideally, I'd like to be rid of States altogether. Our nation has changed so much, we should reorganize our entire government... perhaps even reorganizing things in a balanced way so that large urban centers don't dominate.

But when it comes to NATIONAL ELECTIONS. ONE PERSON, ONE VOTE... anyone who doesn't agree with this HATES DEMOCRACY and should move to North Korea.

And I'd rather have large urban centers influencing politics more than a bunch of cracker states.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava
            And I'd rather have large urban centers influencing politics more than a bunch of cracker states.
            translation: I want my leftist buddies to always win elections against those right wingers!
            'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
            G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

• if you like the EC you have to like affirmative action. same principle. protect the minority from the majority and give them benefits.
              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• If you can find some way to maintain some form of equity between rural demographic groups and urban demographic groups while abolishing the electoral college, I am all ears.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• give them a 24 pack of bud light and a gun rack each election
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava
                      But it's nice to hear that you still support those measures.
                      You KNOW that isn't true.

However, THIS does sound pretty racist.

"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• Originally posted by MRT144
                        give them a 24 pack of bud light and a gun rack each election
                        Ruralphobia?
                        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• No, but maybe it will pass for vindicative hatred for rural voters.

I hate x-posting, by the way.
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• ruralphobia? hardly! more like, hickphobia. I just dont think that rural places have that much to offer in the way of culture. The country is a nice place to visit (mendicino, shasta, etc etc) but to live there would be a different matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by DinoDoc
                              We tend to be a little overprotective of the Bill of Rights.
                              Why? The only rights that I see as important are the rights of individuals, not glorified administrative districts. Clearly the ninth amendment doesn't necessarily serve individual liberties at all.

Comment

• --"Why? The only rights that I see as important are the rights of individuals, not glorified administrative districts."

Of course the only rights are the rights of individuals. The theory is that the states are closer to the individuals, and therefore better guardians of their citizens rights than the federal government will be. The same argument follows down to the local government level. Which is why the original intention was to keep all government at the lowest level of the hierarchy possible, which is why the "or the states" language is in there.
                                Not, of course, that the federal government any longer recognizes any such limits.

Wraith
                                "Unquestionably, there is progress. The average American now pays out twice as much in taxes as he formerly got in wages."
                                -- H. L. Mencken

Comment

Working...
                                X