No announcement yet.

Eliminate the Electoral College

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And then democrats introduce such measures in all southern states, florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and all western states.

And if republicans oppose it in any state, we call them undemocratic, and then have a reason not to move in our blue states.

That's how it works.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Just checked. The Colorado initiative was placed on the ballot by the Sec. of State after certifying a petition signed by enough people. This is NOT the act of Colorado's legislature. Lawsuits are already on file challenging the constitutionality of the initiative.
      http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• Originally posted by GePap
        And then democrats introduce such measures in all southern states, florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and all western states.

And if republicans oppose it in any state, we call them undemocratic, and then have a reason not to move in our blue states.

That's how it works.
        Hah! We defend by accusing the Democrats of being against States Rights, which is TRUE.

The measures don't pass in the Red states, but do pass in the Blue states, and the rest is history.
        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• Originally posted by Ned

True. But typically referrenda are allowed by the State's constitution, not by the State Legislature. I am not sure how the particular Colorado issue got on the ballot.
          State legislatures' powers are based on the state constitution-if the consititution says referendums can make law, there you go.

Comment

State legislatures' powers are based on the state constitution-if the consititution says referendums can make law, there you go.
            Interesting argument. But I sincerely doubt the Supremes would uphold it. The US Constitution cannot be overridden by State constitutions.

Comment

• The U.S. Constitution says that distribution of electoral votes is up to the states.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                The U.S. Constitution says that distribution of electoral votes is up to the states.
                "Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector."

Comment

• Yes, and the state legislature is the one body able to ammend the state constitution. Hence, if the State legislature writes into the state constitution the power to create or change state laws by referendums, then doing so was done in a manner laid down by the State legislature.

Comment

Yes, and the state legislature is the one body able to ammend the state constitution. Hence, if the State legislature writes into the state constitution the power to create or change state laws by referendums, then doing so was done in a manner laid down by the State legislature.
                    Funny.

I repeat, State Constitutions cannot direct a how the state allocates electors, nor can a referendum authorized by the State Constitution. I do agree, however, that had the Legislature authorized the referendum, that would be OK.

Comment

• The Constitution says the State legislature gets to decide. The state legislature has the power to set how state laws are made and can change the constitution-hence the State legislature can do with its own power as it whishes-if that means giving it to the people by ballot measure, then fine.

Comment

• You raise a valid point, and a strict interpretation of the Constitution might lead to the Colorado initiative being tossed out. I think, however, that given that the legistlatures write the constitutions and specify their manner of approval, they can be considered acts of the legislature.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• State Constitutions cannot direct a how the state allocates electors

Um... yes they can. Who do you think votes for changing the State Constitution? In every state, it is the Legislature at the forefront. Which makes it no different than the legislature's voting for the referendum as a law.

I know of no state which allows a change in Constitution without consulting the legislature first.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Che, even if this were true, I hardly think the Supremes would conclude that by creating a constitutional process for a people's referendum generally means that the State Legislature had delegated to the people the right to determine how the electors should be apportioned. That is a major stretch.

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                              You raise a valid point, and a strict interpretation of the Constitution might lead to the Colorado initiative being tossed out. I think, however, that given that the legistlatures write the constitutions and specify their manner of approval, they can be considered acts of the legislature.
                              Ah, NO, a stupid view of the Constitution would- the State legislature in Colorado obviously had the power to nix this referensum-it did not-it surrendered its power. That was their decision.

Comment

Ah, NO, a stupid view of the Constitution would- the State legislature in Colorado obviously had the power to nix this referensum-it did not-it surrendered its power. That was their decision.
                                Oh what a stretch this is.

Comment

Working...
                                X