• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earth
    The Postman

Right now I'm reading "How to be Good" by Nick Hornby

Comment

• Currently As I Please by George Orwell (a compilation of editorials he wrote in the Tribune late in WWII), America (The Book) by Jon Stewart, and The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner.
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

• I'm "reading" I, Robot by Asimov (unabridged) as an audio book on my iPod mini.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

• Originally posted by Pekka
          I'm reading two books:

Kick Him In The Teeth by Ulrich Weissenmueller
          Next Run by Tito Esposito
          hockey books?
          Golfing since 67

Comment

• Originally posted by Patroklos
            Reading Guderian's biography right now, facinating for those who like that era and alot of detail. Pre war stuff in especially interesting.
            AUTO-biography or written by someone else? I've read his Panzer Leader, was good, but he does imho quite intentionally downplay geran atrocities vs alllied ones. Otherwise, a good book for a military history enthusiast.
            Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
            Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
            Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

• Tingkai, nah, the Kick him in the teeth is poor translation, what I found out the title is closer to 'hit to the mouth'. It's about this young couple and their trials and tribulations.

Next Run is about sadistic border officials who promise that if this family comes forward they'll get into the country but they were kidnapped by those, they sold them like slaves and threatened them... so that's the Next Run, what's the Next Run going to be..
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

• As I Please by George Orwell (a compilation of editorials he wrote in the Tribune late in WWII)
                Good boy! I've read his entire collection of essays, journalism and letters.

Has anybody ever read Boris Vian?
                "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
                George Orwell

Comment

• Originally posted by Saras
                  London: the Biography, by Peter Ackroyd
                  didnt like that much. I was really looking for a history, not Ackroyds idiosyncratic approach. Never finished it.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
                    Guns Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond
                    a classic, expecially suitable for Civ players.
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramo
                      and The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner.
                      That was VERY good, though I dont know as Id be in the mood for it now.

Comment

• Now starting Ringworld by Larry Niven.
                        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                        2004 Presidential Candidate
                        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

• I just finished a novel, by whom I forget, Called "The Boys are back in Town"- fantasy. It was interesting.

I just finshed Reading "What is wrong with Kansas" by Thomas Frank- excellent- all liberals need to read it- does a good job at exploring the Conservative backlash.

I will begin the new Stewart textbook.
                          If you don't like reality, change it! me
                          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• I just started The Bourne Identity. It's been a really long time since I read a work of fiction, but I must say it's a nice change of pace.
                            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Working...
                            X