• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kidicious
    Protection money like extortion?
    Exactly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
      The colonies were not represented in Parliament, and disagreed that Parliament had any authority over them. They believe all authority over them came from the colonial governments.

It might not have been full, fair representation, but I do believe Benjamin Franklin went to London in the 1760s and 1770s as a representative not only for Pennsylvania in the British Parliament, but also for several other colonies.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
        Exactly.
        Exactly bull****. They taxed the colonies.
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• They gave their "protection" in return for compelling the colonies to pay taxes when they had no representation in Parliament. The colonies thought that only the colonial assemblies had the right to tax the colonies.

It was as if we went and liberated France from Nazi Germany in WWII, and then imposed a national income tax on them.

Comment

• So even though Benjie was a colonial representative in the parliament, it was not true representation?
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Do we tax Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa. If so it's the same thing. Of course we'd be glad to get rid of them

No one answered my initial question. Did the french use any legal excuse to help the colonies?
              Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Floyd

Not really - get an English textbook.
                Has nothing to do with an English textbook.

And more to do with your own personal beliefs and biases.
                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• that clause is the most important part of the amendment

It isn't. It's obviously the dependant clause, which makes it less important than the other clause (ie, the independant clause).
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Cool! Let's just ignore it then!

If it wasn't important it wouldn't be in there.
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• It's function is as of an explanitory clause. Hell, if the preamble to the Constitution wasn't important it wouldn't be there, but we don't use it for anything.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Explanatory clause!

That's the whole point!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Hell, if the preamble to the Constitution wasn't important it wouldn't be there, but we don't use it for anything.
                          Except, apparently, in Texas vs. White.

TS,

Explanatory clause!

Really? So you admit, then, that the 2nd Amendment DOES protect the individual right to bear arms?
                          Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                          Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Moral Hazard
                            Do we tax Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa. If so it's the same thing. Of course we'd be glad to get rid of them
                            We tax youth under 18 too....

What is the topic here?
                            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Striker
                              Explanatory clause!

So you admit that the clause was to protect the individual right to bear arms and the reason they wanted that protection because they believed an armed populace (militia back then meaning all men from 18-60) was a good idea?

The important part is the individual right to bear arms. The militia part isn't as important anymore because the federal government took over the militia (though if you want to argue that is unconstitutional).

Comment

• When Imran and I agree on something, we're probably right, Ted
                                Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                                Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X