No announcement yet.

Bestest Presidents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No one called you stupid. We said that putting priciples above people was a bad thing.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by David Floyd

Seeing as how the only arguments advanced since I last posted are "you're wrong" and "you're stupid", I really have nothing to respond to. Hence the

You're acting stupid for mistakenly thinking people were calling you stupid.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• I've been off line for a few days.

I grudgingly have to agree with DF. Governments are systems, and the constitution, for all it's flaws, is a system that by and large works, while being able to adjust positively to what is going on in the world. It lags, and still cannot take the place of good leadership. But it definitely slows down the excesses of wrong leadership, that does not pay attention to the very system that protects it.

That is why Ben Franklin made his famous statement about those who prefer safety over liberty deserve neither. Coincidentally, I may not be the only person with this opinion. Supposedly O'Conner commented during the previous election that she wanted to retire duing a Republican Administration. Neither she nor any of the older conservative have. It may be sheer downright oneriness, or it may just be that they fear the kind of justices the neocons want appointed. Consider that, roll it around and taste it, and realize that DF has a legitimate point. Lincoln saved the United States, and along with FDR, Jackson, and this administration may have been one of the gravest threats to it's continued existance as a free nation. The Germans got it wrong in 1933, the Italians in the 1920's. Freedom is not guaranteed, and eventually we may not get so lucky.
        The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
        And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
        Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
        Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by shawnmmcc
          That is why Ben Franklin made his famous statement about those who prefer safety over liberty deserve neither.
          BF said a lot of stupid crap, like 'a penny saved is a penny earned.' This seems kind of stupid, because safety seems like a legitimate trade off for liberty is some cases.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

BF said a lot of stupid crap, like 'a penny saved is a penny earned.' This seems kind of stupid, because safety seems like a legitimate trade off for liberty is some cases.
            If you are sacrificing freedom for safety you are ultimately making yourself less safe from a power a great deal more dangerous than any terrorist. I'd consider limited sacrifices of my personal secrecy for safety of myself and others but if I were to go much further and start entitling the government to run my life and infringe on my freedom what use will my safety be? BF was right on that one.

Comment

Two great quotes, and you think they're stupid!

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Geronimo

If you are sacrificing freedom for safety you are ultimately making yourself less safe from a power a great deal more dangerous than any terrorist. I'd consider limited sacrifices of my personal secrecy for safety of myself and others but if I were to go much further and start entitling the government to run my life and infringe on my freedom what use will my safety be? BF was right on that one.
                The British threatened the safety of the colonists? No, the British govt protected them. They merely wanted compensation for it. BF was a propaganda genious. His propaganda sticks with us even though it makes less sense today. The fact is that we do trade off liberty for security. That's the whole basis of law.

Comment

• The colonies were not represented in Parliament, and disagreed that Parliament had any authority over them. They believe all authority over them came from the colonial governments.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                    The colonies were not represented in Parliament, and disagreed that Parliament had any authority over them. They believe all authority over them came from the colonial governments.
                    What does that have to do with their safety?

Comment

Ted Striker,

We both know that the 2nd Amendment doesn't say "Only the organized militia may bear arms". Other than that, this is old ground that we've been over before, and to address the gun issue is to distract attention from the real issue.
                      Yes, and we all know that the Constitution can be interpreted, and that clause is the most important part of the amendment, it's in there for a reason. So it's not a distraction at all, if we were to strictly interpret the constitution only militia members should be able to have guns.
                      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• and that clause is the most important part of the amendment,
                        Not according to the English language.

if we were to strictly interpret the constitution only militia members should be able to have guns.
                        That's not what it says at all.
                        Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                        Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

What does that have to do with their safety?
                          The British came in a defended the colonies, and then demanded money in return. It's just protection money.

Comment

Not according to the English language.

That's not what it says at all.
                            According to your interpretation.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker

The British came in a defended the colonies, and then demanded money in return. It's just protection money.
                              Protection money like extortion?

Comment

• According to your interpretation.
                                Not really - get an English textbook.
                                Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                                Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X