No announcement yet.

A Nation Divided

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who are the counter-revolutionary pigdogs that will vote against them?
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Comment

In the American oblast? Fez.
      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

this thread has been Tassed...
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

The interesting thing about 1836 is that it was the last year until 1984 that the Whigs (later Republicans) did well in the South. It was a long, long drought...
          What about Nixon's southern strategy? Check '68 and '72.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Well '68 was mixed. Nixon got part of the South. '72 was more a blowout nationwide, so I guess I don't attribute that to the South moving to the GOP. Of course, you could say the same for '84, which I would concede and then fall back to '88.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
              No I don't. This just demonstrates how badly the Dems have screwed up on the social issues. In less than a generation, the south went from strong D to strong R.
              That has nothing to do with social issueS and everything to do with one social issue, civil rights. When the Democrats stopped being the party of White Supremacy, the Republicans decided to become the party of White Supremacy.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Not surprisingly, I don't agree with you. To be sure, white supremacy still lives. But I don't think that's how the GOP is able to gain strong majorities in the South, because I don't think the majority of those in the South are white supremacists any more.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                  Not surprisingly, I don't agree with you. To be sure, white supremacy still lives. But I don't think that's how the GOP is able to gain strong majorities in the South, because I don't think the majority of those in the South are white supremacists any more.
                  Republicans won the south by opposing civil rights- that is well known.

As for "social issues"- Americans have varied social values- that many conservatives feel their values are under attack means little to many other Americans.
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

So well known that I am unaware of it. Please provide preponderance of evidence to support BAM.
                    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Its called Nixon's southern Strategy. You can also look at the list of dems. turned republicans in the south and their record on civil rights. BUt if you want to be thick about it, feel free to be yourself
                      If you don't like reality, change it! me
                      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Run through the dethickenating translator - GePap has no real basis for his argument other than to say the Democratic party abandoned southern dems leaving them no place to go. Repubs being the party of inclusion took them in.

Course most of that happened in Rayguns time.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I don't think the nation is as divided as it is schizophrenic. The average person the "battleground" states is socially conservative and economically liberal. The Republicans have been successful in religious wedge issues to make people ignore economic problems.

Comment

Does anyone else find the phrase "economically liberal" ambiguous and confusing?
                            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

I would agree that use of religious wedge issues has made Repubs far more attractive to southern Dems than restriction of civil rights issues.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

This is a lie. Dirkson was critical to passing the Civil Rights Act. Nixon began Affirmative Action.
                                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Working...
                                X