No announcement yet.

Recommend some Non-American Films and Expand Ted Striker's Horizons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The state can't protect you from the growing lawlessness and crime. Only an extra-state force can bring justice and protect Germany's families. It's a pretty standard reading of the film, GePap.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

M was just released into the Criterion Collection IIRC, so it would be a good one to check out.

While you're at it, check out Fritz Lang's Metropolis, one of my favorite films.
      http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
        The state can't protect you from the growing lawlessness and crime. Only an extra-state force can bring justice and protect Germany's families. It's a pretty standard reading of the film, GePap.
        Which is bunk if you actually look at the film-the state would have caught the suspect anyways throught detective work, had it not been for the criminals short circuiting the process- and in the end it IS the state that prosecutes him- the extra state force happens to be a gang of criminals acting solely out of self-interest and not concern for the common good- and the speech given by the defense attorney at the "trial" is such that even Hollywood would most likely not have the guts for today- specially as he stands firm even in the face of the standard victims- rights sentimentality.
        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Hm, random thoughts:

The Boat
          Stalingrad
          Run Lola Run
          Good Bye, Lenin
          Der Untergang (new, it should come to the US though as it's going to be the German candidate for the next Oscar)

Ridicule (everyone: go watch that movie, very fine humor!)
          Amelie
          La haine - The hate
          Au revoir les enfants (Good bye, children)
          Train de vie (Train of Life )

La vita e bella
          1900 (2 parts)
          Il postino
          Don Camillo and Peppone (all parts)

Trainspotting
          The Englishman who climbed a hill and came down a mountain
          Monty Python movies of course

Ran
          7 Samurai
          Kagemusha

I'm sure I forgot a lot good movies
          "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
          "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Ironically, I did have M this weekend and just finished watching it.

It was a pretty good flick. I had low expectations for this film because normally older films are difficult to watch, especially because of the annoying soundtracks that accompany them. M didn't have ANY music, which was a big plus, it was all dialog driven.

It was interesting to watch all of the fascist apparatus in action in how they tracked down the murderer.

There was some nice cinematography in there, the best one being when they shoved him down the stairs and the under underworld is sitting there waiting on him, staring at him.

It was funny to watch all the smoking in the film, and all the different smoking devices that they had. I think one dude had a big long pipe with a cigar jammed into it.

Heavy black leather overcoats

Bums dressed in 3 piece suits.
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Boshko
              Korean:
              Taegukgi (kind of a Saving Private Ryan in the Korean War, good stuff)
              Old Boy (really really disturbing, good stuff. I can't believe it came in second to F9/11 at Cannes its vastly superior)
              Sassy Girl (haven't got a chance to see it yet, but its supposed to be great)
              Chingu (most popular Korean movie, its about 4 friends 2 of whom end up becoming gangsters. I thought it was badly in need of some good editing but a lot of people like it)

Mexico
              El Mariachi (low budget goodness)

Finnland (I think, could've been Norway)
              The Pathfinder (low budget Lapplander goodness)

Japan
              Battle Royale (middle school student butcher each other, the glorius source of my current avatar)
              I actually watched Battle Royale. That movie really sucked. Talk about pointless violence...

The chick that's in your avatar was cute though. Those headphones really make me want to bang her. The only highlight of the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom
                Fanny and Alexander

Beau Travail

Kwaidan

Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown

Les Diaboliques

Roma, Citta Aperta

The Vanishing (European version, natch)

Utu

Salaam, Bombay

Picnic at Hanging Rock

Mephisto

Fear Eats the Soul

City of Lost Children

Death in a French Garden

Went the Day Well?

A World Apart

Cronos

Pixote

Jesus of Montreal
                I've been meaning to see the dutch version of the vanishing. I heard it was better (and I actually liked the vanishing). I should try to find it on emule. What's the name of it? The hard part about emule is trying to find it in english. Actually in this case I just need english subtitles.

Comment

no Canadian film recommendations anyone?

After seeing the movie: Crash, I have vowed to never see a canadian film again.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident

I've been meaning to see the dutch version of the vanishing. I heard it was better (and I actually liked the vanishing). I should try to find it on emule. What's the name of it? The hard part about emule is trying to find it in english. Actually in this case I just need english subtitles.
                    It's called Spoorloos
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

that's it, thanks. I remember seeing the name on the imdb message boards, but couldn't remember it correctly.

Comment

Actually, M was made in 1930, so you are watching the Weimar republic's apparatus at work.

Comment

They were very efficient and sophisticated.

Comment

That's what I like about the film- a movie from 1930 that shows real police work, and shows how so much of police work has remained the same.

Comment

I liked the interaction between the Mayor ? and the police chief.

The chief kept telling him in great detail all the things that he and his men were doing to catch the murderer, how they were only getting 12 hours of sleep a week, and the Mayor was just like, "I don't care! It's not good enough!!!"

Reminded me of a couple of my bosses at work.

Comment

Originally posted by Serb

Hero is absolutely great movie, the crouching Tiger is a childish crap in comparison with Hero. It has such a great atmosphere. I just love it. The music-
                                Jet Lee
                                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                                X