No announcement yet.

Political Compass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't consider myself a Rawlsian, Aggie . In terms of justice and law, I'm more akin to go with H.L.A. Hart. I guess there is my conservatism peaking out . I'm more of a positivist than a natural law kind of guy (even though I realize Rawls doesn't really call his veil of ignorance a natural law system).
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Your political compass
      Economic Left/Right: -3.62
      Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.72

Comment

Wow that was a very pretty and flowery attempt to turn the word liberal from a bad word into a good word.

Adam Smith was a liberal. John Stuart Mill was a liberal. Milton Friedman is a classical liberal. Do you even have any idea what classic liberalism is?
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Yes and it has nothing to do with today's liberalism. The word liberal today is a bad word and attempts to paint people as liberals of the past are in vain just as the word conservative doesn't have the same meaning anymore...even though you try your best to try to paint the right as a bunch of Monarchists.

Comment

Nah they are more like a bunch of ignorant rednecks.

Wait that's Cheney and Bush...
            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Your political compass
              Economic Left/Right: 4.75
              Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.33

I'm more right wing this time than before IIRC it was something like 3.4 last time. My Lib score is about the same.
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

-9.88 Left
                -8.05 Libertarian

HLVS

Of course the problem with this test is that it does not adequately separate policies adopted as a means, from ideal policies.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

I would like to see Ned's score to see who is further right. I think he might win because I'm an atheist and that test takes that into account (although I think religion is a stereotype of the right).

I think your score Agathon just validated the accuracy of this test.

Comment

Yes and it has nothing to do with today's liberalism.

You haven't been outside the US much have you? I recommend you check out the FDP in Germany for starters.

Comment

What's more interesting is that, apart from people like your good self, most people who take the test come out significantly to the left and significantly below our elected leaders.

There are two explanations I suppose.

One is the "democracy gap" in which the system itself is biased against progressive policies.

The other is more banal, and to my mind probably right, this is that the ruled always wish to have more social freedom and economic security than our leaders are able to give us.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Economic Left/Right: -1.62
                        Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.05

Never seems to change.
                        Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

This thread grealy underestimates social conservatism. I am pro-life, pro-gun, anti-affirmative action, pro-vouchers. However, I scored a negative position on Social Libertarian/Authoritarian because so many of the questions for that are on attitudes rather then policy positions, such as whether you think making peace with the establishment is a part of maturity or whether violence is an acceptable means of punishing kids. This pushes most people's Social scores down.
                          "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Economic Left/Right: -8.12
                            Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.31
                            http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

This is the graph for the http://www.sc4ever.com/forums/.

If you register there, switch to the frames style. It's a brilliant fusion of newsreader and web-forum interfaces and that site has had it for at least six years. Tsk @ the lame UBB clones.
                              Attached Files
                              Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                                Yes and it has nothing to do with today's liberalism.

You haven't been outside the US much have you? I recommend you check out the FDP in Germany for starters.
                                He might have traveled to a place called La La Land.
                                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                                X