X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A flat tax in the works for the US?

Insider Report from NewsMax.com

7. Moore: Flat Tax Is Coming

Are President Bush's tax cuts the precursors to a national flat tax? Club for Growth President and conservative Reaganite Stephen Moore says yes.

"That's the hidden story of what is going on under Bush," said Moore to the New Yorker. "I helped Dick Armey put together his flat-tax proposal. Nobody could get it done politically. What Bush has done in a hidden way, is move us in baby steps toward the flat tax."

Of the 2003 tax law that dramatically cut dividend and capital gains taxes - capping them at 15 percent - Heritage Foundation economist William Beach declared it "one of the greatest supply-side changes to tax law in U.S. history.

Other proposals, like Retirement Savings Accounts, have gone nowhere with Congress. While the setbacks have frustrated many conservative voters, conservative leaders are encouraged all the same.

Americans for Tax Reform president Grover Norquist asked, "Do you think it was an accident that the first three tax cuts moved toward expensing business expenditures, toward universal IRAs, toward getting rid of the capital gains tax, toward getting rid of the double taxation of dividend income, toward getting rid of the death tax? No. It is consistent with a vision."
    I am dedicating a shrine to Bush if he gets this through in the next 4 years. It will be the ultimate blow to the class wars. We'll all be paying the same percentage of our income, the fairest thing you can possibly do.

Yeah, it's fair if you hate the poor.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

How can you call yourself a conservative? That statement right there just fully proved what you really are. Thank you. Finally there can be no denying it.

Comment

Most flat tax proposal start at ~40K - ~30K, all dollars under it are exempt. Plus they would have to get rid of exemptions. I don't see how Bush has really moved toward this by flattening the curve. It really hasn't made it more politically feasible.
        Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

Reagan never backed a flat tax. How can you call yourself a conservative, Forbes lover?
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Anything is feasible when the Republicans control everything.

Comment

You're right, I am a Forbes lover. And just because Reagan didn't back it doesn't mean he's right. Just because Bush won't put the military on the US border with Mexico doesn't mean he's right. But all someone has to do is read your posts in the past 3 months to see that you do not stand with conservatives on pretty much anything.

Comment

Rahaheally. Then why didn't they put through a flat tax already? They could very easily lose the Senate.
                Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

And just because Reagan didn't back it doesn't mean he's right.

And you call yourself a conservative.

But all someone has to do is read your posts in the past 3 months to see that you do not stand with conservatives on pretty much anything.

If you are the arbiter for conservativism, I hope not! But you are a Fascist, it's all good .

I'm more of a George Will conservative will a good libertarian streak anyway.

Comment

How about you stop deluding yourself and call yourself what you are. You're a libertarian that leans to the left even fiscally.

Comment

to a Flat Tax. Most Conservatives are NOT far right-wingers who would something this regressive.
                      "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Regressive? Considering what we've seen of the progressive tax system I would say this a step towards the future. I look forward to the day when we can say goodbye to a country that divides people up and pits them against each other in the interest of taxation.

Comment

No! I already have a class warfare thread.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Most Conservatives are NOT far right-wingers who would something this regressive.

Indeed. Many Right-Wing Conservatives are Christians. Some of them take their Christian responsibility to help their fellow man seriously.

Comment

*watches the Republicans argue over who is a true conservative*
                              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Working...
                              X