Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Nazi Germany honour the Generva Convention?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did Nazi Germany honour the Generva Convention?

when dealing with the Western Allies, the Germans treated prisoners according to the convention, didn't attack the Red Cross, didn't use poison gas or exploding bullets... yet didn't grant the same honours to the Russians, not to mention the whole issue of the holocaust.

So why? Why did the Germans follow the Convention when dealing with the Brits and Americans when they so obviously didn't care about human rights in regards to other groups?
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Well the Brits they regarded as a race (almost) equal to their own.

Hitler held the British in high regards.

Now can I get a hell yeah on that East Asian pootang Speer??!?!
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

“As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

GENEVA... my bad.
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Yes, the Nazis looked down on the "eastern peoples" and Jews especially as inferior. They didn't have much love for the West, but they at least saw them as "more human."

Comment

my question is why would a State that clearly didn't care about human rights go out of its way to follow the geneva convention when dealing with the Brits and Americans, especially as they didn't follow the convention when dealing with the Russians? Was it to ensure their POW's own protection in Allied hands? But then the Japanese didn't give a damn about the convention and Jap prisoners in American hands weren't butchered.

Comment

Hitler was looking to get peace with the western powers at a possible later date

Jon Miller
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Well, it wasn't so much that the Nazis didn't care about "human rights" - they didn't, as you or I would understand or define them, but they did according to their definitions. That CERTAINLY doesn't justify anything they did - let's be crystal clear about that. It does, I think, give some perspective on why they treated different groups differently.
                Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

NAZI APOLOGIST!
                  "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                  ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                  "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

How did they deal with captured American soldiers who happened to be jewish? black? asian? hispanic?

Comment

That's actually a good question.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Did you guys watch the Tuskegee Airmen?

In the US, they had captured German POW's on the train, but the black US airmen had to wait for them to board first and the Germans got better seats.

Kinda messed up!
                          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

it's crazy how Spanish and Asians were integrated into the regular military (was there ever even a division to begin with?) while Blacks weren't.

Comment

It's not like American POWs were so well treated in Germany. Many of them looked like they'd been in the death camps when they were liberated, and many were also used for slave labor.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                              X