In remembrance of 9/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In remembrance of 9/11

I posted this today because I decided that yesterday should be dedicated solely to the victims of 9/11. Though it isn't the worst 9/11, it is the one that affected our country and therefore should get priority. The other 9/11(s) should also be remembered, just on the day after or before.

In remembrance of Salvador Allende, July 26, 1908 - September 11, 1973

"They have the brute force, they can enslave us. But social processes can't be stopped either with crime or force. History is ours and is written by the people." - Salvador Allende

For those of you that don't know, Salvador Allende was a democratically elected president of Chile in the late 60s and early 70s. He was a Marxist who sought out to solve the great inequalities of Chile and nationalize its resources, so the Chilean people would control them, not American corporations or Chile's tiny upper class. His policies ended up not helping as much as they could have. Copper was Chile's main export, and a US embargo was put on it (they don't like communists), and then the price of copper went down the drain and caused a lot of inflation. But he was able to help out the people of Chile, though if he would've been in the presidency longer he would've really solved some problems.

The US cannot have a Marxist government, its ideas could spread and the third world countries would start kicking American corporations out of their land. So the US supported the cup and greatly helped remove this democratic government and installed General Augusto Pinochet. The coup was bad enough, it killed around 13,000 in a short period of time. But he went on to kill and torture tens of thousands of people, probably hundreds of thousands, and take away freedom from the people of Chile. And of course, more importantly, he privatized Chile's resources and allowed them to be taken by the elite rich in Chile and American corporations.

Salvador Allende made his last stand on September 11th in his palace. It was the day the coup took control of Chile. He died fighting for his people. This was his last speech, made as he was in his palace and Pinochet's forces were about to end his life:

This will be the last chance for me to speak to you. The Air Force has bombed Radio Portales and Radio Corporación towers. My words have no sorrow, but deception, and they will be the moral punishment for those who have betrayed the oath they made. Soldiers of Chile, official commanders-in-chief, self-designated Admiral Merino, plus mister Mendoza, despicable General, who yesterday expressed his fidelity and loyalty to the government, and who now has proclaimed himself Carabineros General Principal.

Before these facts I only have to tell the workers: I will not resign, I will pay with my life the loyalty of the people, and I tell you that I have the certainty of the strength of the seed we have sown in the conscience of thousands of Chileans. They will be able to subdue us, but social processes can be stopped neither by crime, nor by force. History is ours and the people will make it.

Workers of my homeland, I want to thank you for the loyalty that you always had for me, the confidence you vested in a man who was only the mouthpiece of your longings for justice; who observed the Constitution and the law of Chile until the very end. At this time, my last chance to speak to you, I hope that you take advantage of the lessons we have learned. Capital, imperialism, and domestic reaction united to create an atmosphere in which the armed forces broke their tradition - the one Schneider stood for. Commandant Araya and his associates are waiting quietly in their houses today for their forces to conquer power with foreign help, in order to continue defending their profits and their privileges.

Finally, I wish to speak to the people of our land who believed in us; to the worker who worked more, to the mother who knew about our worry for the children; I speak to our rank-and-file supporters, those who some days ago were working against the sedition sponsored by wealthy cartels, class associations to defend the advantages that the capitalistic society gave them; I address the youth, those who sang, who showed us all their optimism and their fighting spirit. I speak to Chile's man, worker, peasant, intellectual. Those who will be pursued and persecuted, because fascism is being established in our country; the way for it is being prepared with terrorist attacks, bombing of bridges and railway lines, destruction of pipelines and gas lines.

History will judge all.

Radio Magallanes will certainly be silenced and my voice will no longer arrive to you. It doesn't matter, you will continue to hear me, I will always be close to you, at least in memory, as a man who was loyal to his country.

Workers of my homeland, I have faith in Chile and in its future. Other men will carry on my struggle and will overcome these bitter and gray times when treachery imposes itself. Never forget that, one day, the way will once again be open for the free man to build a better society.

Long live Chile, long live the people, long live the workers!

These are my last words, and I am certain that my sacrifice will not be in vain. I am certain that, at the very least, it will be a moral victory against felony, cowardice and perfidy.
    Let us remember the great struggle that Salvador Allende died fighting in. The third world has been trying for years now to break the American hegemony and other first world nations' stranglehold on most of the earth's population that lives in these third world countries. Corporations own the third world's resources, the third world is used as a cheap labor source, and it gives the first world its raw materials for cheap prices, and the first world makes the refined goods and sells it to these countries at jacked up prices. Any attempt to end this, including any attempt to put a communist government in control and end this has been destroyed by the US. Cuba has been lucky and has made it, but they've been subjected to years of economic terrorism conducted by the US. China also has made it, but only under the condition that they allow capitalism and allow American corporations to exploit China's labor force. But besides that, many attempts have been tried to make the world a better place, and the US has crushed them.

In the world we live in, where half our population is malnourished, hundreds of millions are starving, hundreds of millions have seen the horrors of the battlefield, and most of the population is living in squalid conditions, in poverty, and less than 5% of the population owns more than 95% of the world's wealth, let us follow Salvador and join the fight. Let us take arms against the elite few that control the world's wealth. Let us fight for the common people of the world.
    Last edited by johncmcleod; September 12, 2004, 23:54.
    "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

But i would not consider Chile a third world country. It is not today neihter was in 1973. Maybe second in any case.
    Ich bin der Zorn Gottes. Wer sonst ist mit mir?

Comment

Still in a position where it can be plundered by Western capitalism, it just doesn't have the size or power to defend against it.

Good thread John I am sure the hordes of right-wingers will arrive somehow justifying these actions despite not having the slightest concept of what the grander picture, or choosing to live in ignorant bliss.
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Two years ago I have opened a similar thread in CFC and I was insulted

I've lived the chilean 9/11 and I've suffered it from the country just aside. And we give refugee to the exiled..... three years later we suffer our own dictatorship

Anyway, thanks

@Thorgal: In the 70's we were proud to be Third World countries
        Cuando un dedo señala la luna, los tontos miran el dedo. (del Mayo francés)

Comment

Yes, and how our country treated Pinochet like he had done nothing wrong is sickening too in light of the horrors he has perpetrated. Good buddies with Thatcher too. Thatcher certainly kept 'interesting' companions...
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Still in a position where it can be plundered by Western capitalism, it just doesn't have the size or power to defend against it.
            Of course.

@GD, in the particular case of of Argentina it is neither first, sencond nor third world country, it is another world country.
            Ich bin der Zorn Gottes. Wer sonst ist mit mir?

Comment

@Provost Harrison: We know Thatcher , and the argentinean dictators

@Thor: we are "Lost in space"
              Cuando un dedo señala la luna, los tontos miran el dedo. (del Mayo francés)

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Good thread John I am sure the hordes of right-wingers will arrive somehow justifying these actions despite not having the slightest concept of what the grander picture, or choosing to live in ignorant bliss.
                  I'm guessing these hordes of right-wingers will consist of Fezcarlo, with something like "Fools... Pinochet was a great man who saved Chile. Communists are stupid... "
                  "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                  "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

That's generally the idea Stefu...but it doesn't make them any less irritating...
                    Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Originally posted by Thorgal

But i would not consider Chile a third world country. It is not today neihter was in 1973. Maybe second in any case.
                      The Second World was the Soviet Bloc. There is only the First World and the Third World. Chile isn't in the First World, therefore . . .

For a time, some tried to add additional classifications of 4th and 5th world; Fourth World, will only develop with help, Fifth world is hopeless (Haiti, Bangledesh)
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Let us fight for the common people of the world.
                          The best way to do this is through free trade, increased globalization, and most importantly, free market capitalism.
                          Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                          Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

The best way to do this is through free trade, increased globalization, and most importantly, free market capitalism.

and eating babies.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

You're joking, right?

Wow. This is the first time I've made a thread that people have complemented me on.

Gerar Dean: You lived in Chile, I have a question. Pinochet privatized a lot of Chile's national resources. Were they bought by American companies or Chilean companies?
                              "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Working...
                              X