Big Boom in Korea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patroklos
    If I had a penny every time a poytubbie advocated invading NK before Iraq I would be rich.
    This doesn't mean they want a NK/US war. It does mean they want the US/Iraq war to be postponed forever
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

A 50 kiloton blast would be a fair size for a first nuke. But again, if it were a test NK would be talking about it.

This most certainly was NOT a bomb in the megaton range, since at that size, the fireball of the very explosion is over a mile in diameter.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

We've clearly demonstrated that Kim Jong-Il shows as little respect for human rights as Saddam, and that he's closer to being a threat to us than Saddam.

Then why the hell is going after him some great impossible?

China? Does China like having an unstable nuclear crackpot at their border?
        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
          We've clearly demonstrated that Kim Jong-Il shows as little respect for human rights as Saddam, and that he's closer to being a threat to us than Saddam.

Then why the hell is going after him some great impossible?
          Because he has nukes?
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Just another train yard accident.

That or some boy scouts getting over zealous.
            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

Because he has nukes?
              No. Because China has them.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I would imagine that if this was a compelety unexpected accidental explosion, given its size, there will be significant military personal casualties. Probobly destroyed the whole base.
                "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                  No. Because China has them.
                  I would think China is increasingly annoyed at its client State. I would expect China not to nuke anybody in case of a conventional war in NK, provided it milked something out of it.

Don't forget that NK is a threat by itself. It has a huge artillery amassed in range of Seoul, and the South Koreans fear that NK could level Seoul on Kim's whim. Also, Japan fears a NKian nuke.

As much as I dislike the current American administration, I think it considers the levelling of Seoul the nuking of Tokyo a too high price to pay. This is a common "mad dog" strategy: NK strives to be as dangerous as possible, to be sure nobody would bother toppling Kim's regime.

Comment

You have a point about Japan and SK, but the reason the US will never do anything about NK, even should Japan and SK urge them to, is China.

The Chinese are the only people in a position to solve the problem. It would be good if they realised that and the rest of the world encouraged them to do so (solve the problem).
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiffor

Don't forget that NK is a threat by itself. It has a huge artillery amassed in range of Seoul, and the South Koreans fear that NK could level Seoul on Kim's whim. Also, Japan fears a NKian nuke.
                      The antiquated artillery that DPRK deploys would be completely nutralized within hours. The establishment of Air Force "kill zones" and Paladin counterfire would devastate this facit of the DPRK military.

The real danger lies in the possibility of a nuke strike. This possibility, while relatively remote now, will only grow.
                      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• China needs North Korea. It's like the average looking girl who has an ugly friend to make her look better.
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by PLATO

The antiquated artillery that DPRK deploys would be completely neutralized within hours. The establishment of Air Force "kill zones" and Paladin counterfire would devastate this facit of the DPRK military.

The real danger lies in the possibility of a nuke strike. This possibility, while relatively remote now, will only grow.
                          the city of seoul will be gone in that time frame. Not only are conventional explosives in the shells, but there are also chemical weapons as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
                            You have a point about Japan and SK, but the reason the US will never do anything about NK, even should Japan and SK urge them to, is China.

The Chinese are the only people in a position to solve the problem. It would be good if they realised that and the rest of the world encouraged them to do so (solve the problem).

Why does China have a problem?

Comment

• So has anybody actually found out what happened?
                              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShi
                                China needs North Korea. It's like the average looking girl who has an ugly friend to make her look better.
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X