X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So much for "ABC and CBS PWN BUSH"

Breaking News from NewsMax.com

Media Assault on Bush Collapses in Credibility Meltdown

In a stunning journalistic fiasco from which the mainstream press may never recover, a full frontal attack by two out of the three major broadcast networks on President Bush's reelection bid has collapsed amidst questions about forged documents and fraudulent testimony.

CBS's Dan Rather's already shaky journalistic reputation was in tatters Friday morning, after documents unearthed during his Wednesday night "60 Minutes II" broadcast purporting to show a cover-up of Bush's National Guard record were called probable forgeries by forensic experts.

Memos uncovered and touted by Rather's team appear to have been written in Microsoft Word, the experts said - a computer program that did not exist at the time Bush was in the Guard.

The same documents, purportedly authored by Bush Guard commander Jerry Killian, were challenged by Killian's widow and son, who told reporters on Thursday that the deceased National Guard commander would have never written such memos.

A second portion of Rather's "60 Minutes II" broadcast, featuring allegations against Bush from former Texas Lieutenant Gov. Ben Barnes, was also discredited, when his daughter Amy told a Texas radio station that who had changed his story to sell a book.

NBC News was also mired in a credibility crisis, as a spokeswoman for the network's "Today Show" insisted it was going forward with its planned rollout of Kitty Kelley's Bush bashing book, "The Family: The Real Story of the Bush Dynasty" - even though Kelley's key witness against Bush has recanted her account that Bush used cocaine and has accused Kelley of fabricating her interview.

"I categorically deny that I ever told Kitty Kelley that George W. Bush used cocaine at Camp David or that I ever saw him use cocaine at Camp David," ex-Bush sister-in-law Sharon Bush said in a statement issued Thursday.

Instead, the one-time Bush family insider insisted, "When Kitty Kelley raised drug use at Camp David, I responded by saying something along the lines of, 'Who would say such a thing?'"

Still, "Today Show" spokeswoman Lauren Kapps insisted that NBC producers had no plan to cancel or even scale back Kelley's three day mega promotion on the program, touted by the network as the crown jewel of morning TV.

"This was a very competitive interview that all the morning shows were after and, as we do with all of our interview subjects, we'll review the material beforehand and ask all the appropriate questions," Kapps said in a statement issued Thursday.

"This is astounding," one longtime media observer told NewsMax. "You have a major TV network promoting a book with a major news story that has already been discredited. At least in 1999, when St. Martin's Press found out their 'Bush used cocaine' book was false, they had the decency to withdraw it from bookstores."
    I have to laugh at all the stupid people who jumped up and joined the bandwagon. Wouldn't be the first time they tried to say he went AWOL in the NG or that he used cocaine. Now, back to Kerry. How's that Navy inquiry doing?

Caddell: Dan Rather May Have Cost Kerry the Election

Longtime Democratic strategist Pat Caddell said Friday that if documents aired by CBS newsman Dan Rather Wednesday night turn out to be forged, as alleged by experts, the presidential race "is over."

"It would be the end of the race," Caddell told Fox News Live. "It would be the end of the race," he repeated.

"[Democratic officials are] so involved in this," the former Carter pollster worried. "They have gotten themselves so involved in this issue [in] the last 24 hours that somebody's going to, if they're not authentic, they're going to be blamed for it. It's incredible to me that they've gotten in this."
    Caddell said he wasn't trying to sensationalize the issue, explaining that instead "I'm trying to save my party, you know, by telling the truth."

He said that forfeiting the presidential race would be the least of his party's problems if Democrats are tied to any forgery scandal.

"The race is over – and we've got bigger problems than that," he warned.
    It just keeps getting better and better. Wonder what the next Democratic stunt will be. I await with glee.

Comment

It's being discussed in the other thread ML.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

You know there are areas of a campaign that the Democrats historically beat Republicans at consistantly. Maybe we should let them know that.
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

The "th" superscript was available on some typewriters pre-Windows.

The New Times Roman font has been arround since the 30's.

Centering the address is just a matter of spacing and margining; you don't need a computer to do that.

The people trying to counter CBS' report didn't even look at the physical copies CBS has. A pdf file displayed on a computer screen does not equal the piece of paper you're trying to discredit. Nor does an image on a TV screen.
          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Yeah, a reasonable person would say that the provenance of the document is in question, but no more. At least not yet.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

The expert CBS had risked his name and career over his part in the interview. There is some question as to whether or not the "experts" used by other networks likewise allowed their names to be used on-air.
              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Mal, I was listening to an executive this morning at a CBS affiliate in Omaha. He said that if the allegations of forgery prove to be true (not to mention the obvious lying of that ex-Lt. Gov. who wasn't in office when Bush joined the Guard), he personally would call for Rather's resignation.
                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Does anyone else have the feeling that this campaign is exceeding different from any other modern presidential campaign? Perhaps we have had forgeries in the past, but the Internet has changed everything.

The major news networks also seem singularly obsessed with defeating Bush. Other than being liberals, there seems to be some sort of desperation in their all out lying to dethrown the current Republican president. This "anybody but Bush" syndrome is almost insane.
                  http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Oh my god, I would love to see that. Would be so nice to see the talking heads be brought down. Say goodbye to yet another Democratic propaganda machine. Did you hear there's a movie documentary coming out on Kerry's vietnam record? I guess they're going to show Michael Moore the true meaning of documentary.

Comment

Does anyone else have the feeling that this campaign is exceeding different from any other modern presidential campaign? Perhaps we have had forgeries in the past, but the Internet has changed everything.

The major news networks also seem singularly obsessed with defeating Bush. Other than being liberals, there seems to be some sort of desperation in their all out lying to dethrown the current Republican president. This "anybody but Bush" syndrome is almost insane.

Oh my god, I would love to see that. Would be so nice to see the talking heads be brought down. Say goodbye to yet another Democratic propaganda machine. Did you hear there's a movie documentary coming out on Kerry's vietnam record? I guess they're going to show Michael Moore the true meaning of documentary.

Is it just me, or is Ned talking to himself?
                      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

"Memos uncovered and touted by Rather's team appear to have been written in Microsoft Word, the experts said - a computer program that did not exist at the time Bush was in the Guard."

That's the first bit of evidence I find interesting.

The democrats, well, just really ****ed up.
                        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Newsmax
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Hey, those guys are pretty smart. I mean, they labeled Imran as a communist years ago, and now he's thinking about voting for Kerry. I wish I had that kind of foresight!
                            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                              Newsmax
                              Communism.
                              For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Working...
                              X