Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First alien signal may have been detected...!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First alien signal may have been detected...!

...Maybe, maybe not. You know how fickle these things can be.

The latest news and headlines from Yahoo News. Get breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with videos and photos.

Could Space Signal Be Alien Contact?

Thu Sep 2, 8:32 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - An unexplained radio signal from deep space could -- just might be -- contact from an alien civilization, New Scientist magazine reported on Thursday.

The signal, coming from a point between the Pisces and Aries constellations, has been picked up three times by a telescope in Puerto Rico.

New Scientist said the signal could be generated by a previously unknown astronomical phenomenon or even be a by-product from the telescope itself.

But the mystery beam has excited astronomers across the world.

"If they can see it four, five or six times it really begins to get exciting," Jocelyn Bell Burnell of the University of Bath in western England told the magazine.

It was broadcast on the main frequency at which the universe's most common element, hydrogen, absorbs and emits energy, and which astronomers say is the most likely means by which aliens would advertise their presence.

The potentially extraterrestrial signals were picked up through the SETI@home project, which uses programs running as screensavers on millions of personal computers worldwide to sift through the huge amount of data picked up by the telescope.
    If true: & SETI@Home =

If not: Oh well. Onward we compile...

Update:

Straight from the horse's mouth:
    Reports of SETI@home Extraterrestrial Signal Highly Exaggerated

September 2, 2004:

A rash of reports in recent days that SETI@home has discovered a likely signal from an alien civilization are highly exaggerated, says SETI@home Chief Scientist Dan Werthimer of U.C. Berkeley.

The storm was initiated by an article in New Scientist magazine, which reported about SETI@home’s most promising candidate signal to date, and speculated about its possible origins. Like all of SETI@home’s 5 billion potential signals, this candidate, labeled SHGb02+14a, was assigned a numerical score representing the statistical likelihood that it is indeed an intelligent extraterrestrial signal. Its relatively high score placed it among the 200 “top candidates” selected for the targeted reobservation sessions that took place in March of 2003 at the Arecibo Radio Observaotry. Of all the candidates targeted in the sessions, however, SHGb02+14a was one of the very few to be confirmed during the reobservations, and the only one whose score following the sessions actually went up.

While this makes SHGb02+14a interesting, the chances that it actually represents an intelligent signal from beyond remain extremely slim. Random chance alone would make it probable that at least one of the billions of candidates detected by SETI@home would be observed on three separate occasions, as was the case for this candidate. Furthermore, as we reported in the SETI@home Update of May 17, 2004, the fact that this candidate’s frequency drifts rapidly makes it extremely improbable that it is a transmission from extraterrestrials. Because of the drift, explained Werthimer, “if we had looked at the sky even a few seconds later we wouldn’t have found a match” for this candidate. A signal that drifts so quickly that it can only be heard for seconds at a time at a given frequency can only be detected by blind luck. Needless to say, such a transmission is an unlikely vehicle for message from an advanced civilization.

In addition, SETI@home Project Director David Anderson of U.C. Berkeley pointed out that SHGb02+14a is a candidate of a type known as a "barycentrically corrected gaussian." A true transmission of this type, he explained, would remain in a more or less fixed narrow-band frequency, and not drift rapidly as this signal does.

At Arecibo the giant radio telescope still scans the sky, looking for an alien transmission. Around the world, millions are still crunching SETI@home data on their personal computers. The Search for extraterrestrial intelligence continues at full speed, but as of now there is no breakthrough.

Of course, this could change at any time… We promise to keep you posted.
    Last edited by DRoseDARs; September 3, 2004, 04:21.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

I doubt it.

Comment

My vote is "Previously Unknown Astronomical Phenomenon," but still it'd be cool if it was an intelligent signal.

Comment

Do we have enough space based lasers? Huh? Makes you think, doesn't it?

'How to Serve Man'

It's a cookbook!?!

Anyway, what did they say?
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

They just translated it:

"Xylkvot eats newborns. Vote Uuff'wq."

Damn it, we'll never escape this sh*t...

Comment

SETI@Home is a waste of resources.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Asher, take it elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                They just translated it:

Damn it, we'll never escape this sh*t...
                Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                  Asher, take it elsewhere.
                  It's relevant here -- this is the kind of crap SETI@Home discovers.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

This was on the CNN main page this afternoon... now,you can't even find it in the CNN science index.
                    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Long time member @ Apolyton
                      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Oh... it's all the chicken Roseanne ate, and farted, and that fart is now just bouncing back..
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                          SETI@Home is a waste of resources.
                          How exactly is it wasting resources when it runs as a screen saver? It's not like my computer needs that extra boost when it's freakin' idle. You might think it's a futile effort, but I fail to see how a screen saver is wasting resources.
                          "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Wouldnt ya rather give some toasters the ability to fly?
                            Visit First Cultural Industries
                            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by BustaMike
                              How exactly is it wasting resources when it runs as a screen saver? It's not like my computer needs that extra boost when it's freakin' idle. You might think it's a futile effort, but I fail to see how a screen saver is wasting resources.
                              Modern computers expend much more energy while under load than idle, and a computer with SETI is never idle.

That's not my point though, my point was opportunity cost. If you want to run a computational program as a screensaver, consider something genuinely useful to mankind like Folding@Home (protein folding for cancer research).

As far as I'm concerned, people should conserve energy (allow their computers to "sleep"), or they should use the spare cycles constructively with programs like Folding@Home. SETI@home is a waste of resources because it uses additional electricity as the computer never sleeps, and it doesn't do anything useful.

Comment

Working...
                              X