Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Today's Republican Party Oppose Slavery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like Imran and me.
    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Impaler:

The US became a 2 party political system very rapidly (like the 3rd 4th presidential election basicaly).
      actually, this isn't true. Adams' election and Jefferson's election were hotly contested between the then vague (there was no real political organization) factions of federalists and democratic republicans. After Jefferson's victory, however, the dem. republicans dominated national politics and most local politics except in New England where the federalists remained influential up until the 1810's and the plotted New England Seccession which completely destroyed the federalist party though the dem. repubs. had won every presidential election since jefferson by great majorities.

Thus, by the Quincy Adams vs. Jackson election, you had two dem. repub. candidates running against each other with no federalists in sight. The controversy over that election (and the fact that america was a one-party system at that time would be bound to lead to some division eventually) caused Jackson and a whole arm of the dem. repubs. to shed the repub. title and become Democrats while Quincy Adams briefly wore the mantle of Jefferson's party before the formation of the Whigs.

if anything, up until the 1820's, America was a one-party system.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

The newest topic is that of Gays and their rights, this has in the last decade gone from an almost unspeakable topic to something near the tipping point, in a hundread years the current liberal position with be universaly accepted and people holding what is currently the "moderate" view will be the equivilant of Douglas (Lincons Democratic oponent who took the "moderate" view that slavery was bad but would naturaly go away on its own and was a states right anyway so the federal goverment shouldn't get involved).
        you're trying to equate the gay rights issue with slavery? you do realize there is a major difference in magnitude, right?

similiarly, off of where chegitz was probably thinking, that is like saying that republicans today opposing affirmitive action would mean they would have been pro-slavery... there is a difference in magnitude. just because slavery was an incredible wrong that needed to be ended doesn't mean that affirmitive action should also be supported by an abolitionist, the Freed Man's Bureau aside
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
          Like Imran and me.

Comment

Actually, Kuci was correct.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The full phrase would have been, Like Imran and I do, not, Like Imran and me do.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

"Like Imran and I do" is acceptable. But "Like Imran and I" alone is not, IIRC.
                "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

You are incorrect, goat-lover.

Comment

you're wrong, jaguar boy

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuberski
                      Who said anything about taxing sex?

Not wanting a baby should be thought of before engaging in sex.

ACK!

So you have to want a baby to have sex?
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Someone has some control issue here.

Comment

• No. But don't come crying to us if you don't like the results of your sex. Ya know, you don't even have the excuse that otherwise you'll die or something - sex is PURELY a luxury, it's not like you're somehow entitled to demand support from society for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                            No. But don't come crying to us if you don't like the results of your sex. Ya know, you don't even have the excuse that otherwise you'll die or something - sex is PURELY a luxury, it's not like you're somehow entitled to demand support from society for it.
                            What are you talking about? Why would I come crying to you? It has nothing to do with you. All I want is my freedom.

Comment

• Sure, and I agree with that. I'm for banning abortion in the third trimester, though.

Comment

• Sky is pwning you, Kid. Give up, or the Mountain Goats might make a return.

And don't give me any BS about a threadjack. You started it.

Comment

Working...
                                X