Bad Beats in Poker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Beats in Poker

So, my worst "bad beat" in poker EVER happened tonight. Here's what happened.

I was playing a home game, started around 11:00 pm or so. Bought in $100, about the usual. We were playing Texas Hold 'Em, no limit, with $1-$2 blinds. I noticed right off the bat people were playing really loose, so I sat back, waited for my hands to come, and let people bet into me, and then I moved in a cleaned up. I was up to about $400 by 2:30 am. At this point, by the way, there's probably about $1200-1500 in chips on the table, in play.

So I play for a while longer, start losing a few hands, go down to about $300. No big deal, streaks happen. That's poker. After a little while, I get dealt the best hand one can have to start with in Hold 'Em - two Aces (the way the game works is that each player gets two cards face down, and then 5 community cards with which to make the best 5 card hand). So I have the best hand, by far, no questions asked.

I raise $15 immediately. Next guy folds, then the next guy reraises to $50. I'm loving it. Guy after him folds, then the last person to act reraises all in, which is about another $300. I'm loving it even more - here's an opportunity to double up. Needless to say, I call, as does the guy who bet $50.

So we all turn up our cards. I have my aces. The next guy has Ace-King, which, for those of you who don't know, is one of the WORST hands you can have when someone else has Aces. The other guy in the hand only has a pair of twos. I'm an 81%-19% favorite against the twos, and also a huge favorite against the Ace-King (don't know the exact numbers there, but it's big).

I'm feeling good, the other two are looking sick. So the five community cards come up. The first three are Queen, Jack, 10. The next two are 9s. I absolutely **** myself at this point - the guy with Ace-King, a horrible hand against my hand, flopped the nut straight. Obviously the 9s didn't help me. Instead of sitting on around $800-$900 after that hand (which pays my rent, for example, for a month and a half), I'm out. On the best hand in poker, against one of the worst hands to call the best hand with.

I'm not upset about losing $100 - **** happens, hell, last week I was up $700 for the week, so I'm not complaining. But this was an opportunity for me to walk with almost $1000, for 4 hours of "work", and instead I got screwed.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

That's poker.

I love no limits texas hold-em.

We usually play with everyone starting with the same number of chips, everyone pays the same stake to play and the winner takes it all.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

That certainly is poker - still frustrating when you make the best play that, MOST OF THE TIME, will mean you make a whole lot of money, but the one time you play it with that much money at stake is the one time the randomness factor kicks in.
      Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

I accidently got caught against a pair of aces when I was bluffing. Whoops. Had to though, I was almost out of the game and I needed to get some chips fast. Hit a straight on the river and went on to win.

I believe the phrase "you lucky bastard" was used.
        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

Gambling's a sin. You got punished.

You Heretic.
          Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
          -Richard Dawkins

Comment

My worst experience was in a hand I won. I got dealt an ace up in seven card stud, and aces wired. As I am known as a "pounder" amongst this group it will do no good for me to check the ace, as everyone will become suspicious. So I bet, and everyone but one guy folds. My next card is an ace, and the last guy folds before I can even check the bet. Four aces (in four cards) wins about $4.
            He's got the Midas touch.
            But he touched it too much!
            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

I got wrecked last night. We play .10-.20 blinds, spread limit (max 1$) and we had 6 people at the table yesterday.

The guy after the big blind straddles. The next guy straddles him. I straddle again (we were feeling silly), so it's .80 to go at this point. We get dealt our cards (I'm K-7 offsuit) and the guy to the left of me folds. So does the guy after him. The next guy raises a buck , there's a fold and I reraise 1$. First raiser reraises 1$ and then calls among the 3 left.

Flop comes K-Q-3

I keep getting dollar raises from the original raiser and keep calling them down. Given the hand history he had to know I had a King, but I had no idea what he was on. Last card comes down an ace.

He had A-3 in his hand. Hit aces up on the river, took a pot worth 25$.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yeah, I can't complain too bad about getting drawn out on. Last night I also had the following hand.

I was dealt Ace-Jack, and raised about $10. I get called by one person. The flop comes out Q-Q-3, and the other guy calls all in - about another $60. The right call, generally, is a fold, but I call, and end up catching him bluffing. Take the pot with Ace high

Comment

Last night I pulled a straight on the last hand. I had a 5-3 and the community was 4-6-7-8-6.

Course...one of the other two had a 5-9...sucks, doesn't it?
                  "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                  ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                  "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Why were you playing 5-3 anyway? In the big blind?

Another story for you guys.

About a month ago, I'm playing a home game, not doing too well. I'm down maybe $40 or so, getting frustrated. I'm in the big blind, all but two others fold, and no one raises, so I stay in with my 4-7 offsuit. The flop comes King-4-7. A perfect flop for me. The other two come out betting strong - I put both of them on Kings and nothing else. I reraise, and the guy behind me goes all in. The other girl in the hand calls, as do I.

I read the hand perfectly, they both flip of a King with a low kicker that doesn't pair the board. I'm praying that they don't pair their kicker, or get another King. The turn comes, and it's a blank - no help to anyone. I get a 7 on the river, and end up pulling a boat. Won almost $200 in one hand, and believe me I was ecstatic, given the night I was having.

Comment

that always happens to me. i always fold pocket ace's cuz i have never once won with them. not once. - its unbelieveable.
                      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                        i always fold pocket ace's cuz i have never once won with them. not once. - its unbelieveable.
                        Yes, and unbelievable run of bad luck...

BUT NEVER, NEVER FOLD POCKET ACES
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
                          Why were you playing 5-3 anyway? In the big blind?
                          That would be my guess.

ACK!
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Indeed I was the big blind
                            "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                            ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                            "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

2 ACES is a great start but nothing is guaranteed. If I always lost with pocket aces, I'd still have to think about an all in bet before the flop, especially on a losing streak.

That being said, I'd still bet them.

ACK!
                              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
                              X